• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after the Lions/Vikings game..........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell and Bush had 107 catches on 149 targets. 149....thats quite a number.

Coach Ed -- I typed out of a response and it was deleted and I don't feel like going back and typing it out again.

I will just say -- we both see the offensive line as a major issue. I see Lombardi's lack of experience as part of that issue, as he is unable to hide the deficiencies in our OL, as Linehan was able to do.

I quoted the line up top because it was the one reason why I was excited about Lombardi and thought he could succeed with the Lions. The only team, I believe, who had more receptions from the Lions running backs were -- New Orleans. Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles and 148 receptions in 2013. When you add in the catches from the other RB's and the fullback, it put them in the 180-190 range. That isn't attempts -- that is catches.

He comes to Detroit, where they have three running backs that can catch the ball out of the backfield and they have a combined 90 catches thru 14 games.

I don't see why they aren't using the screens much more than they have been. It is one of the reasons why Brees completion % is so high. He completes a ton of balls on screens or swing passes.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if we can play that bad and still win in Chicago, or not.

After Monday Night Football I think we can play pretty shitty and still win.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right.

They're just awful. Full on free fall.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. I see Lombardi's lack of experience as part of that issue, as he is unable to hide the deficiencies in our OL, as Linehan was able to do.
I agree with that. Linehan took alot of heat, turns out he is pretty darn good. I spent alot of time on these boards defending Linehan, saying basically what you said above. People would site PFF and the lineman grades as to why our o-line was good. I disagreed. I still like Lombardi, first of all he is a rookie offensive coordinator. We have had some nice games offensively. He has attempted to do what most Lions fans had been bitching about in years past , which is get Calvin deeper, and go more vertical, and stop with the dink and dunk. The result has been tough on Stafford(sacked the most times of his career). Deeper routes take 5's and 7's, thats a fact. There has to be learning curve with Lombardi. Here's the thing, we are winning, and protecting the football. Slinging it around resulted in 4 more points per game last year, but we gave up a ton of bad field position from turnovers resulting in far more points the other way. Our running game has been far worse, why? Is it playcalling? Maybe. I think its a combo of that and our banged up o-line. But thats just me. The Cowboys have 3 first rounders on the o-line and are mauling people...thats no co-incidence.

I quoted the line up top because it was the one reason why I was excited about Lombardi and thought he could succeed with the Lions. The only team, I believe, who had more receptions from the Lions running backs were -- New Orleans. Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles and 148 receptions in 2013. When you add in the catches from the other RB's and the fullback, it put them in the 180-190 range. That isn't attempts -- that is catches.

He comes to Detroit, where they have three running backs that can catch the ball out of the backfield and they have a combined 90 catches thru 14 games.

I don't see why they aren't using the screens much more than they have been. It is one of the reasons why Brees completion % is so high. He completes a ton of balls on screens or swing passes.
I wouldn't mind seeing more screens as well, seems like thats what we were good at. As far as the Saints stats, that's Sean Payton's offense. That may not be as big in Lombardi's playbook. He seems more traditional pound the rock, with a lot of deep routes. 2 things you need an o-line to do. I think the lack of skill on the o-line has frustrated Lombardi. We have not broken a run the entire year.