• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after the Lions/Falcons game.......

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will let you know once my heart rate returns to normal. What a game. Looked like two completely different teams in the 1st and 2nd half.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the old saying is so perfectly true today better to be lucky than good. how the fucking hell we only let the falcons run 22 seconds after the 2 minute warning and no timeouts miracle. a ticky tac call SAVING the game for once, another team snatched defeat from jaws of victory.

you know what we fucking deserve it too. there have been so many times over the years we got kicked on just because; the ball bounces the wrong way it clangs off the upright and it was 'pass interference' to set up the game winner.

today though the new culture took over everyone stayed calm while the mash unit drove the team down the field. we came out in the 2nd half got the pressure we were supposed to bring and stafford was a killer. yes i can already hear everyone bitching about how he needs to be more accurate to that i preemptively say fuck it i dont give a shit. he is what he is and he is getting better. he has been taking care of the ball really well (the last 2 picks so not his fault) and he drives us down the field when we again get a grand total of 60 yards from the run game.

we dont have a good run game it is clutch but it doesn't set shit up. and without the top receiving threats he is still out there dropping 300 yards and 2 TDs and willing this team to victory. they all trust each other and this team is stealing great games. this is a good year. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am disappointed in Caldwell's conservative approach. I think when the Lions kicked a FG when the drive stalled at the 1.5 hardline you go for a TD. It just wouldn't matter how good the Lions played the second half if they lose by 2.

I think every fan can be thankful for this one as Atlanta totally melted down on that final drive. A decent team gives Detroit the ball back with 25 seconds not 1 minute 45 seconds.

Getting CJ back will be a huge lift but it won't help Stafford's accuracy. The guy sprayed the ball all over the place for half the game. And yes he did have a better second half but as good as the second half was the first was far worse and you won't get away with that game against New England or Seattle.

I am liking Theo Riddick. He looks to be Reggie Bush's replacement. Thats the type of guy the Lions have to keep finding late in the draft.

And Jeremy Ross played a big role today under the radar. The attention will go to Tate, Theo, and even Fuller but I thought Ross stepped up.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford puts the ball where only our receivers can get it. He throws the ball low over the middle so his receivers don't get smoked. He spread the ball around today. He moved the ball in both halves of the game, but the receivers made plays in the second half and that was the difference. I hope when Cj come back Stafford remembers that Tate, Ross, and Fuller are still on the team.

What the fuck is wrong with the running game. Joique is a good runner. Best is a good all purpose back. Our OL is pretty much unchanged and moved the line of scrimmage last year. Why can't we run the ball this season? We've lost a lot of red zone points this season because of our shitty running game.

Nice to see Broyles make a catch. It only took 5 injured skill position players for him to get on the field for one play.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go busted looking at game on ESPN. The MTP asked why I was on my phone? I said the Lions are playing.

He said it is too early for football. He is a total NCAA guy only. I asked if the Longhorns were playing early would he watch it? He smiled said touché and have a good day.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good did Theo look? Figure I can get true answer from you.

Riddick saved the game with a spectacular 1 handed catch on the last drive to put us on FG range. He looks good enough that if there is significant cap savings by letting Bush go then we should seriously consider it.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the old saying is so perfectly true today better to be lucky than good. how the fucking hell we only let the falcons run 22 seconds after the 2 minute warning and no timeouts miracle. a ticky tac call SAVING the game for once, another team snatched defeat from jaws of victory.

you know what we fucking deserve it too. there have been so many times over the years we got kicked on just because; the ball bounces the wrong way it clangs off the upright and it was 'pass interference' to set up the game winner.

today though the new culture took over everyone stayed calm while the mash unit drove the team down the field. we came out in the 2nd half got the pressure we were supposed to bring and stafford was a killer. yes i can already hear everyone bitching about how he needs to be more accurate to that i preemptively say fuck it i dont give a shit. he is what he is and he is getting better. he has been taking care of the ball really well (the last 2 picks so not his fault) and he drives us down the field when we again get a grand total of 60 yards from the run game.

we dont have a good run game it is clutch but it doesn't set shit up. and without the top receiving threats he is still out there dropping 300 yards and 2 TDs and willing this team to victory. they all trust each other and this team is stealing great games. this is a good year. :)
We do deserve it...weve been on the other end of that for the past 20 years.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good did Theo look? Figure I can get true answer from you.

Theo looked awesome...he did have one drop he shouldve caught even though the throw wasnt great. He is getting better every game.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford puts the ball where only our receivers can get it. He throws the ball low over the middle so his receivers don't get smoked. He spread the ball around today. He moved the ball in both halves of the game, but the receivers made plays in the second half and that was the difference. I hope when Cj come back Stafford remembers that Tate, Ross, and Fuller are still on the team.

What the fuck is wrong with the running game. Joique is a good runner. Best is a good all purpose back. Our OL is pretty much unchanged and moved the line of scrimmage last year. Why can't we run the ball this season? We've lost a lot of red zone points this season because of our shitty running game.

Nice to see Broyles make a catch. It only took 5 injured skill position players for him to get on the field for one play.
I like the defense of Stafford...I do. Buuutttt....he isnt throwing those on purpose. A lot of times those guys are wide open and the inaccuracy hurts them...he just cant seem to stick some of those easy throws. Im not sure why...one of the announcers made a point thats its hard to be consistent when your arm angles arent consistent. I think thats accurate. Dont get me wrong I love the guy. We have to take the good with the bad with him.
Bottom line is...he is not doing that on purpose. Also ....On the play when Calvin got hurt...the shitty throw was the reason.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the defense of Stafford...I do. Buuutttt....he isnt throwing those on purpose. A lot of times those guys are wide open and the inaccuracy hurts them...he just cant seem to stick some of those easy throws. Im not sure why...one of the announcers made a point thats its hard to be consistent when your arm angles arent consistent. I think thats accurate. Dont get me wrong I love the guy. We have to take the good with the bad with him.
Bottom line is...he is not doing that on purpose. Also ....On the play when Calvin got hurt...the shitty throw was the reason.

Everyone hates it when you pile on Staff, especially after a comeback win. But I agree with all of the above... except blaming him for Calvin's injury. The protection was a lot better and even when he was connecting they often had to make circus catches... and that's when he had time. He just has to be more accurate if we're going to beat anyone good when it counts and I don't know if he can.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it is really nice to get a win like this because we always seemed to be that other team. Having to get two complete miracle wins against sub par teams doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me, along with losing Fairley. I love the win and the record of course but still seem to be holding my breath and not trying to take in too much kool aid.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am disappointed in Caldwell's conservative approach. I think when the Lions kicked a FG when the drive stalled at the 1.5 hardline you go for a TD. It just wouldn't matter how good the Lions played the second half if they lose by 2.

I think every fan can be thankful for this one as Atlanta totally melted down on that final drive. A decent team gives Detroit the ball back with 25 seconds not 1 minute 45 seconds.

Getting CJ back will be a huge lift but it won't help Stafford's accuracy. The guy sprayed the ball all over the place for half the game. And yes he did have a better second half but as good as the second half was the first was far worse and you won't get away with that game against New England or Seattle.

I am liking Theo Riddick. He looks to be Reggie Bush's replacement. Thats the type of guy the Lions have to keep finding late in the draft.
I
And Jeremy Ross played a big role today under the radar. The attention will go to Tate, Theo, and even Fuller but I thought Ross stepped up.

You don't go for it there, that would be something Schwartz would have done. They needed 11, so at some point they needed a FG anyways, you kick it on fourth down. Especially when the offense looked lost the play before. They would have lost game if they went for it there. Good job Caldwell

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unbelievable win.

Poor game management by Caldwell at the end. You're at Atlanta's 31 with 34 seconds left, 1st & 10, no timeouts. Plenty of time to attempt to gain significant yards. Instead, Caldwell is content with just killing clock and trying a long field goal. Atlanta's gafs helped his cause along the way (as did the delay of game penalty), but I couldn't believe the strategy. Here's a good read on the final minutes of the game:

Week 8 NFL Wrap-up: Ministers of Defense «

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the clock management was fine except for the last 3 plays. With 17 seconds left just inside the 25 I don't see why they don't try one quick sideline pass to try and get 7-10 yards closer. the run-and-spike put the ball in the middle of the field, but no closer.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the clock management was fine except for the last 3 plays. With 17 seconds left just inside the 25 I don't see why they don't try one quick sideline pass to try and get 7-10 yards closer. the run-and-spike put the ball in the middle of the field, but no closer.

I think that risk was bigger than the FG risk. If someone got tackled without going out of bounds, or if Stafford got sacked, it would risk not having a chance at spiking in time, as well as a chance of a sack putting us out of FG range, chance of a pick/fumble, holding penalty ect. The team has to have faith that their kicker can hit from 44.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell isn't very good at clock management. I noticed this in preseason, can't remember off hand which game, though.

But that timeout with 2:10 left stumped me. Logic says let the 10 seconds go so you can save 40 seconds with that timeout after the warning. Now, it ended up not affecting us, thanks to Atlanta's holding and incomplete pass.