• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after the Lions/Falcons game.......

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought after the game was that it isn't going to bother me one damn bit that there is no Lions' football next week.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually didn't disagree with Atlanta choosing to go for the first down.Their defense was playing like shit, and a FG beats them. If we were in that same position, where a FG beats us, I'd hope the Lions go for the kill. Now if the other team needs a TD, that's a different story. Run the clock.

Now where Atlanta screwed up was obviously the holding. The incomplete, that play call was bad. If they're gonna pass, then go for the first. If you are gonna play it safe just run it, don't try to mix the 2 up.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't either, but it seems they paid double penance for the holding call.

Yes, but it was really stupid.They are lucky that should have put time on the clock it was so bad.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a "Riddick"ulous catch over the middle. Stafford was wayward with that throw but Stafford didnt try to gun it 100 miles per hour and Riddick bailed him out.

My hope going forward is Stafford will remember to use all of his weapons when Calvin comes back. He's got guys who can play if he can look away from CJ. As was mentioned earlier it is Stafford that largely contributes to CJ's aches and pains by over using him and putting him into bad positions. Also, CJ has to learn to go out of bounds and not seek contact after the catch.

Hahaha, exactly.

I loved the call and the results. The execution goes Theos way for sure. Gameball worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Yes, but it was really stupid.They are lucky that should have put time on the clock it was so bad.

Granted...and that wasn't the only stupid play ATL made, but that's another topic.

Obviously the Lions benefited from it and if it happened to the Steelers I'd be happy with the result too, but it wouldn't change my thinking on the rule...imo a team with no timeouts in a situation like that and they have a dead ball penalty that the opposing team cannot refuse...10 sec runoff should apply.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing a lot of "they got lucky" and "it was only the Falcons" today. Well, to score 22 in the second half with no Calvin, no Reggie, and none of the 3 top tight ends, and to hold Atlanta scoreless in the half after losing Fairley ... this is still quite an accomplishment.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egh,...... It was a win.

If they would have scored a TD when Matt Ryan gave them an 8 yard field Id be willing to say accomplishment, maybe.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalty was declined so there was no yardage assessed.

I want to say the play yielded more yardage since it wasn't a spot foul, but noted...I understand I'm in the DET folder here, my angle is from the rules side...I was watching the game, and I assume Lions fans were also which is why I made the point here.

Teams names aside...my point is a team without any timeouts in a situation such as that should not be able to commit a dead ball penalty and not have any time run off the clock regardless of what happened on the previous play because that play is over.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a tough crowd Howie. I thought the game was over to be honest. What is an accomplishment if this was just luck? Down by 21, it wouldve been much easier to quit rather than to fight back. I dont see much lucky about anything outside of the last few minutes. Everyone sees things differently though.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck! I was so into the game yesterday I didn't even notice the coaching blunder of Running it on 3rd down with 25 seconds left that got bailed out by the defensive holding. Did we expect to run the FG team out in 20 seconds?

And I know it won us the game, but how does the FG team get a delay of the game when they know they're about to go on the field? Its like they weren't paying attention and all of a sudden everyone's like "Field goal team! Hurry!"

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm....I feel like its so much easier to make assumptions as to what was going on or what exactly happened without actually being there in game too. Im sure there was something that caused them to be a little late with the snap on the delay of game.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say the play yielded more yardage since it wasn't a spot foul, but noted...I understand I'm in the DET folder here, my angle is from the rules side...I was watching the game, and I assume Lions fans were also which is why I made the point here.

Teams names aside...my point is a team without any timeouts in a situation such as that should not be able to commit a dead ball penalty and not have any time run off the clock regardless of what happened on the previous play because that play is over.

YOu should write the league and ask them to change the rules, then.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm....I feel like its so much easier to make assumptions as to what was going on or what exactly happened without actually being there in game too. Im sure there was something that caused them to be a little late with the snap on the delay of game.

Stop, I've noticed you are very forgiving. Like really forgiving.

Had Atlanta not had that defensive holding on 3rd down, and the field goal team ran onto the field and couldn't get the snap off in time, and we lose, would you still be forgiving?

I would've been pissed. Maybe the coaches had the delay of game on purpose to give Prater a practice kick on that grass? I know some people would dismiss that, but how in the world would the coaches have confidence in special teams running on the field and kicking in 25 seconds, but yet they can't do it on a full 35 second play clock? Idk, man.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am.

I just like to consider different possibilities as everything isn't always as it seems. Somebody else on another site did mention that they could've planned it that way. We'll never know.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many of you get this but some apparently don't. People don't seem to understand why there is no runoff. They just think that is how it works. If the team that is behind causes a penalty then the time gets run off. That is not the case. The runoff is done because the penalty stops the clock. A delay of game or any dead ball foul when the clock is already stopped does not constitute a runoff and there is no reason it should. The clock is already stopped.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they would have scored a TD when Matt Ryan gave them an 8 yard field Id be
willing to say accomplishment, maybe.

Well, I'd say you shouldn't fall behind by 21 in the first place to a bad Falcons team. But as others alluded to, they DIDN'T fold up their tents and they DID make halftime adjustments -- something previous Lions teams haven't done really well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many of you get this but some apparently don't. People don't seem to understand why there is no runoff. They just think that is how it works. If the team that is behind causes a penalty then the time gets run off. That is not the case. The runoff is done because the penalty stops the clock. A delay of game or any dead ball foul when the clock is already stopped does not constitute a runoff and there is no reason it should. The clock is already stopped.

The rule is quite clear and I understand it...the clock was stopped from the penalty on the previous play.

The push back on your comment from me..."there is no reason it should".

Clock should start at the snap on the FGA...but there is a dead ball penalty...if the other team could refuse the
penalty...the clock would run out because the kicking team has no timeouts remaining, game over. But they must accept the penalty...thus the clock doesn't start, they walk off 5 yds and get another play.

I don't think the kicking team should get to run another play without time running off the clock if the DEF must accept the dead ball penalty.

Obviously we disagree on this and that's fine, but imo it has nothing to do with the Lions and Falcons...just a quirky rule.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is quite clear and I understand it...the clock was stopped from the penalty on the previous play.

The push back on your comment from me..."there is no reason it should".

Clock should start at the snap on the FGA...but there is a dead ball penalty...if the other team could refuse the
penalty...the clock would run out because the kicking team has no timeouts remaining, game over. But they must accept the penalty...thus the clock doesn't start, they walk off 5 yds and get another play.

I don't think the kicking team should get to run another play without time running off the clock if the DEF must accept the dead ball penalty.

Obviously we disagree on this and that's fine, but imo it has nothing to do with the Lions and Falcons...just a quirky rule.

The clock wasn't stopped because of a penalty. The Lions stopped it with a spiked ball.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason people are complaining about that call is because they saw the miss. The play never happened. Deadball penalty. If it were a pass attempt, the refs would have been in there before the ball is out. A FG being a bang bang play allowed us to see the play unfold. Who's to say the whistles blowing didn't affect the FG attempt anyways? Assuming the refs were able to stop the attempt, what coach wouldn't back a FG up 5 yards?