• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after the Lions/Falcons game.......

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about mentioning that the 10 second runoff rule is to prevent a team from gaining an advantage by committing a penalty. Is anyone here going to argue that moving back 5 yards on a field goal attempt is gaining an advantage?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about mentioning that the 10 second runoff rule is to prevent a team from gaining an advantage by committing a penalty. Is anyone here going to argue that moving back 5 yards on a field goal attempt is gaining an advantage?

Certainly not for the Lions this year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta disagree with you on this one. It's easier to get a FG and the fact you are so close you may not get another shot at it. Plus if you miss Atlanta has a 98 yard field.

Yes, but considering it was fourth down it makes more sense to take the fg considering you need a td and a fg. If they didnt get the td on fourth down they would have lost the game there because that would require two possessions and two scores still.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I took from this game is that the Lions finally have some coaches that can make adjustments at halftime.

I give the Atlanta OC credit for coming up with a game plan that allowed a patchwork OL to hold their own against our defensive front. I give Austin credit for making adjustments to get pressure on Ryan in the second half.

I won't argue that our offense didn't need a lot of luck to score 22 points in a half.

Also, not a single mention on this board that the Lions got fucked on the two point conversion. I guess because the Lions played well enough to overcome it.

The two point conversion sucked but my thoughts at the time were that the lions still needed to kick a FG to win regardless of the two points.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:dingdingding:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot diggity dog. Careful 68, you may get close to breaking the two hundred pound mark with all those carbs.

I've already found my limit. 140. I'm too cheap to buy new jeans because I can't control my eating. I'd starve first.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One image I can't get out of my head is that during the 2nd half, Caldwell was his usual calm self, and Smith looked like he was tearing his hair out on the Falcons sideline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason people are complaining about that call is because they saw the miss. The play never happened. Deadball penalty. If it were a pass attempt, the refs would have been in there before the ball is out. A FG being a bang bang play allowed us to see the play unfold. Who's to say the whistles blowing didn't affect the FG attempt anyways? Assuming the refs were able to stop the attempt, what coach wouldn't back a FG up 5 yards?

This ^.. or a fumble or an Int. You can clearly hear the whistle blow. If he had stopped and not kicked it, nobody would be talking about it.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason people are complaining about that call is because they saw the miss. The play never happened. Deadball penalty. If it were a pass attempt, the refs would have been in there before the ball is out. A FG being a bang bang play allowed us to see the play unfold. Who's to say the whistles blowing didn't affect the FG attempt anyways? Assuming the refs were able to stop the attempt, what coach wouldn't back a FG up 5 yards?

This really is an excellent point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a good post/point, but still missing the target imo...make or miss is irrelevant because of the penalty...I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but one last attempt...team committed a dead ball penalty in the waning seconds of the game...opponent HAS to accept this penalty (of course they're okay with them moving back 5 yds...no brainer there)...the fact that they get to run another play with no time run off due to their own mistake is the point.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good post/point, but still missing the target imo...make or miss is irrelevant because of the penalty...I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but one last attempt...team committed a dead ball penalty in the waning seconds of the game...opponent HAS to accept this penalty (of course they're okay with them moving back 5 yds...no brainer there)...the fact that they get to run another play with no time run off due to their own mistake is the point.

You are saying "another" play. There was never a play. Sure it got snapped and kicked, but it was blown dead.

Not to beat a dead horse either. The Lions gained no advantage when the clock was ALREADY stopped. So there is no runoff. A running clock and yes it would have been runoff.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if such a rule was implemented that you are talking about, Lions would have still won. They could've kicked the FG with 20 seconds left, but instead ran the clock down, something I'm sure they would've not done had there been a rule they were aware about possibly costing them a 10-second runoff.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if such a rule was implemented that you are talking about, Lions would have still won. They could've kicked the FG with 20 seconds left, but instead ran the clock down, something I'm sure they would've not done had there been a rule they were aware about possibly costing them a 10-second runoff.

Now you really got people perplexed.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ^.. or a fumble or an Int. You can clearly hear the whistle blow. If he had stopped and not kicked it, nobody would be talking about it.

Well, they still got a delay of game on a make or break play. We'd be talking about it. Or would have been. It would havd been mentioned, ill put it that way. Maybe we'd be done tallinbough it by now, idk.