• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Rebuild

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately two things that the Mets have that we don't are fans that actually care about the organization and a vicious media who will tear anyone a new asshole.

We have fans that care IMO. But with what I have seen with the Rainiers is that just like the Seahawks and Sonics most of the sports fans do not live in the Seattle area. When given a choice of the headache it is easier to go to Cheney Stadium than the Pink. You can watch crappy baseball and deal with the traffic and overpriced everything in Seattle or get great deals in Tacoma for baseball. Baseball is baseball in the minor leagues, it’s not like the G league or AAF or XFL where when you are watching the game you realize that the talent is so far inferior that you are wasting your time.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have fans that care IMO. But with what I have seen with the Rainiers is that just like the Seahawks and Sonics most of the sports fans do not live in the Seattle area. When given a choice of the headache it is easier to go to Cheney Stadium than the Pink. You can watch crappy baseball and deal with the traffic and overpriced everything in Seattle or get great deals in Tacoma for baseball. Baseball is baseball in the minor leagues, it’s not like the G league or AAF or XFL where when you are watching the game you realize that the talent is so far inferior that you are wasting your time.
Then again, after so much exposure to crappy baseball, a lot of us in the area have learned to take what we can get.

GO DRAGONS!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, after so much exposure to crappy baseball, a lot of us in the area have learned to take what we can get.

GO DRAGONS!

Well we as fans took worse from the Seahawks and the misguided sports fans in the area took worse from the Muttlake Football team. I see a boat load of passion for baseball in the area, it’s just the Mariners aren’t really worth the price or the headache of traveling to Safeco at the moment.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we as fans took worse from the Seahawks and the misguided sports fans in the area took worse from the Muttlake Football team. I see a boat load of passion for baseball in the area, it’s just the Mariners aren’t really worth the price or the headache of traveling to Safeco at the moment.

There not! I spent more time in Tacoma this year just for the simple fact this about the younger guys now. You want to see them develop and make their way up to the bigs!

As for fans in the area, I think Bret Boone said it best a few years ago, " if you win the fans will be here!" And he's right. Not because they are bandwagon fans, but actual die hard fans that are tired of empty promises and like you said spend $$ at a ballpark that has a crap product on the field.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've become less of a fan of Heyman lately but I do agree that it makes little sense to deal Haniger this winter. If anything I would consider an extension if he is willing to do it. I still think he is a very solid player. His numbers were a little down pre injury but his peripherals were somewhat close to what he had done the last two years. His Babip was much lower then past years. I think an extension would be the ideal route because it should be less then what it would have been previously.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've become less of a fan of Heyman lately but I do agree that it makes little sense to deal Haniger this winter. If anything I would consider an extension if he is willing to do it. I still think he is a very solid player. His numbers were a little down pre injury but his peripherals were somewhat close to what he had done the last two years. His Babip was much lower then past years. I think an extension would be the ideal route because it should be less then what it would have been previously.

Can’t argue with any of that. I can’t think of one single thing that benefits the Mariners by trading him when his value is essentially nothing. If Kelenic and Rodriguez were locks next for the roster then I’d contemplate it. But problem Jerry will also run into is even though Haniger’s value is low now it will be even less if the younger guys are ready, why would you give up a decent prospect when you know he has to be dealt.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read in an article I believe by Heyman that Haniger has refused any and all attempts for an extension. I can't blame the guy. He has been here long enough to see all the crap that goes on in the front office. Run while you can Mitch.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read in an article I believe by Heyman that Haniger has refused any and all attempts for an extension. I can't blame the guy. He has been here long enough to see all the crap that goes on in the front office. Run while you can Mitch.

yeah that's the kicker. An extension is optimal for the franchise but not for him so I would totally get that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I might have articulated that a bit poorly. We definitely have fans that care, but it's a smaller group. It's the casual fans that don't care and expect nothing but losing from this team. I mean shit somehow the Mariners board is one of the most active MLB boards on this site. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more posts/threads here than on the Seahawk board.

I've said it before that right now it's actually a higher priority of mine to attend a Rainiers game than a Mariners game. I've only gone to one game this year (I'd usually go to 10 a year because my friend worked for them and would get me club seats for free or really cheap) and don't plan on going to another this year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thing that worries me about trading Haniger is that his trade value has drastically declined because of his slow start and injury. The return on him would be much lower than it would've been had we traded him last offseason.

Kind of a shitty situation with him because if in 2020 he plays like he did in 2018, it'll repair his trade value but then do you keep him? If he plays somewhere in between 2018 and 2019 you also have to ask that question again.

If I were an opposing GM I'd aggressively pursue him this offseason. They would have a lot of leverage with the Mariners organizational log jam at OF and decrease in his value. Aside from his elevated 2019 K rate, I do expect him to rebound in 2020. Albeit I am quite biased because I do have a lot of faith in Haniger, which I suppose is up for debate.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just like the Seahawks, once they show competence the city would obviously get behind them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's interesting. That kind of changes my thoughts on what to do with him if that rumor is true. Would be interesting to know the details. Aside from the obvious reasons for not wanting to remain in the organization; I wonder if the Mariners are low-balling him, or if he thinks he's better off riding out his arbitration years and negotiating extension then or if he wants to test the market.

Personally if I were him I wouldn't negotiate right now either. He only really has one exceptional full season and if he replicates 2018 a few more times, the amount of money he could justifiably command would go up a lot.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like the Seahawks, once they show competence the city would obviously get behind them.

Well ya, but the Seahawks vs Mariners is kind of apples to oranges because it’s 8 home games. The Sonics were more of the comparison and just like the M’s attendance was down during the down times but was rocking the area when they were up. The Hawks Super Bowl was amazing and all but the Mariners 95 that rolled into the Sonics 96 run IMO was the best year in this area’s sports history. Had the Sonics in 08 had a miracle run to where the Anti Sports Council/County/State been forced by moderate sports fans the Sonics would still be here but unfortunately they didn’t and the politicians took the money since their wasn’t heat on them.