• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The worst call in the history of sports....wow.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, in yer have to pass on 3rd scenario, yer failing to mention that it is 4 down territory.

Nope. Not failing to see its 4 down territory. If you run and miss on 2nd and call the last TO, 3rd has to be a pass and the D will know it.

Think a little more. It'll come to you.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Not failing to see its 4 down territory. If you run and miss on 2nd and call the last TO, 3rd has to be a pass and the D will know it.

You're sooo smart! It is coming to me...oh ya, there it is...GO FUCK YOURSELF.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't mind a pass there, just not the slant into the most condensed field possible?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must've been too busy puffing your chest out at your monitor to catch that one.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you miss the part where I said I didn't mind a pass there, just not the slant into the most condensed field possible?

No. I didn't miss that. I was responding to you saying I failed to mention it was four down territory. I didn't fail to see that. The logic I presented is for FOUR down territory.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. You're right. It was a great call. I'm sure Bevell will be promoted and they'll go back to the drawing board on that one, to perfect it for next time.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have moved Wilson out of the pocket with two throwing options. If none are completely open or if a running lane isn't "waltz in" open, then throw it out of the back of the end zone. Then you still all your options open for third down.

But pass isn't a horrid call like everyone is saying, and the slant isn't a horrid call.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have moved Wilson out of the pocket with two throwing options. If none are completely open or if a running lane isn't "waltz in" open, then throw it out of the back of the end zone. Then you still all your options open for third down.

I can get behind this. Though he'd have to be quick about it.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of the call, they did run Lynch earlier in the 3Q on third and short and he was stuffed for a loss by Ninkovich coming off the backside edge.

They settled for a FG there and I think that play was fresh in their minds on that call.

If they hit that pass play, it wouldn't be an issue.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure was.... But you he to give credit to Butler for jumping the rout! He played itperfectly!

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of the call, they did run Lynch earlier in the 3Q on third and short and he was stuffed for a loss by Ninkovich coming off the backside edge.

They settled for a FG there and I think that play was fresh in their minds on that call.

If they hit that pass play, it wouldn't be an issue.

Sure it would be...it wouldn't have been a touchdown...they gained nothing if completed. Stupid play, stupid call, stupid throw. They would have still been out of the endzone and needed to use their last timeout.

What ever happened to making an audible or throwing it to the left part of the endzone where Marshawn was fading too vs throwing to the heart of the field (as PC stated) where the Pat's had their stacked goal line D in?!:noidea:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, even if the pass was completed, he doesn't get in the endzone...stupid play, stupid call, stupid pass. you don't pass INTO the heart of a goal line defense, and not even be in the endzone as a receiver. Mind boggling

Was it really that stupid? Or is it stupid today?

Call....NE was in their GL DEF...they tried to catch them off guard with a quick pass...nothing wrong with the play call imo.

Pass....I have to agree here...I'm not so concerned about whether was would've scored or not if he caught it...if not, you use the same TO you would've on a run that didn't score...where I have issue is it wasn't wide open...you gotta throw that one thru the back of the endzone and live for 3rd down.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Pass on 2nd was right call. Now, that pass should be WIDE open and in the end zone... Or throw it away.

Now, still, an INT on s quick slant didn't happen all year at the goal line. So, it wasn't a HORRID call.

But these ppl saying you absolutely run on that down are downright wrong.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Pass on 2nd was right call. Now, that pass should be WIDE open and in the end zone... Or throw it away.

Now, still, an INT on s quick slant didn't happen all year at the goal line. So, it wasn't a HORRID call.

But these ppl saying you absolutely run on that down are downright wrong.

Not sure where he got this info from, but Randy Cross on the morning drive sports talk this morning stated that thru out the yr there were 24 passes inside the 5...something like 23 were TDs, none were picked.

I understand the people supporting the run...nothing wrong with that call either, but it wasn't a run or run situation imo either.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where he got this info from, but Randy Cross on the morning drive sports talk this morning stated that thru out the yr there were 24 passes inside the 5...something like 23 were TDs, none were picked.

I understand the people supporting the run...nothing wrong with that call either, but it wasn't a run or run situation imo either.

I think we're saying the same thing.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had to throw on either 2nd or 3rd down just because of the time.

But they should have run on 2nd, called a TO and thrown a fade to that no-name, big WR off of motion on 3rd. Then run again on 4th if needed.

I really think a lot of NFL coaches would benefit from playing Madden football for an entire offseason if only to learn how to better manage a game clock. It is stunning how bad NFL coaches are at that at times and yesterday was another example of a team panicking and not calling the right plays at the right time because of the situation.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was all apart of BB's plan, that's why he didn't call any timeouts. He's an evil genius.

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, 7 pages of this? I can't believe all of you people saying "worst call in the history of ever!!!". Look at it this way, and there is no disputing this:

It is one of those calls where if it works then nobody questions it and people say "wow that was a great call, I was expecting the run" If it doesn't work then people say "wow what an absolute idiot you should have run the ball."

It wasn't a bad call at all, but since it didn't work and in fact had the absolute worst outcome imaginable everyone is saying it is the worst call ever. Nope, the call was fine. The outcome was terrible. Get over it.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, 7 pages of this? I can't believe all of you people saying "worst call in the history of ever!!!". Look at it this way, and there is no disputing this:

It is one of those calls where if it works then nobody questions it and people say "wow that was a great call, I was expecting the run" If it doesn't work then people say "wow what an absolute idiot you should have run the ball."

It wasn't a bad call at all, but since it didn't work and in fact had the absolute worst outcome imaginable everyone is saying it is the worst call ever. Nope, the call was fine. The outcome was terrible. Get over it.
Flip it around. If the catch is made and Lockette scores is it still a bad call? My answer is yes.

You can't ignore the fact that your best chance at succeeding right there is running the ball. That's what you are known for and that's what your team is best at.

In baseball, bottom of the 9th of the world series, bases loaded, full count. You're up 1. When you can throw a 96MPH fastball, or a sub par slider, you don't hang the slider and get it crushed to lose the game. You throw your best pitch and if the hitter beats you with it, tip your hat. You don't get beat with your 3rd best pitch.

The Seahawks went with probably their 5th best option right there and it cost them the Super Bowl. There's no excusing that IMO.