• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The worst call in the history of sports....wow.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

Your bread and butter is the Beast who is the best RB in the game at getting yards after contact. He gets 1 yard in his sleep. Run it and don't get it, fine. Call the timeout and live to try again. Live and die with your best weapons.

Running is still the best call. Throwing is after that, but only in a way that suits your team. A slant to Lockette doesn't suit the Seahawks. We haven't excelled playing that game all season and it bit us in the ass when it hurt the most.

Lynch was 1 of 5 from the 1 yard line this year, and 6 of 15 from 5.

His numbers aren't all that great in close.

The play was more the fault of Wilson, who is avg to poor when throwing to the middle. Due to his height he tends to miss over the middle.

This isn't a slight on Wilson, he is a solid QB, but a lot of the blame is on him on this play.

There is no guarantee Lynch would have scored from that distance, and his stats from this season prove it.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26 seconds, 1 time out, 2nd down. There are three options:

A. Run Lynch twice and not even worry about running a play on a 4th down you'll never see. We call this option the IDIOT option.

B. Run Lynch on 2nd down, call Time Out, and then the Defense knows that you have to Pass on 3rd.

C. Throw on 2nd which saves Time Out and keeps options open on 3rd.

Why are you ijits acting like Option C is NOT the best option of those three?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:
26 seconds left, 2nd down, one time out left.
No int's were thrown from the one this year until last night.
Lynch was run in this situation five times this year: he only got in the EZ once.
If you run and miss, then you virtually HAVE TO pass on 3rd, and the D will know it

Plus Lynch had been stopped 3 or 4 times this game in short yardage. I was waiting for someone to post these stats. Coaches like BB and Carroll like to go with the best odds. BB has also fallen victim to over thinking himself based on odds or averages. 4th in 2 in the AFCCG game against the Colts is just one example.

It's not a terrible call if you look at it the way they do. Everything went wrong for the offense while thanks to a great play everything went right for the D.

It sucks bad we know. But that's football and we're arm chair coaches.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

Your bread and butter is the Beast who is the best RB in the game at getting yards after contact. He gets 1 yard in his sleep. Run it and don't get it, fine. Call the timeout and live to try again. Live and die with your best weapons.

Running is still the best call. Throwing is after that, but only in a way that suits your team. A slant to Lockette doesn't suit the Seahawks. We haven't excelled playing that game all season and it bit us in the ass when it hurt the most.
While I pretty much agree with you, the title of the thread was "worst call in the history of sports." As this thread proves, it isn't even close to the worst call ever. Better options? Yes, but things were happening fast and BB wasn't using a timeout (which I couldn't believe).

As far as the worst call in the history of sports, it would be hard to beat the "Miracle in the Meadowlands" in the Eagles-Giants game in 1978. All the Giants had to do was take a knee for the win. Instead, they chose a running play, fumbled and the Eagles returned it for a TD on the last play of the game. Not as big of a stage, but it stunned everyone and a couple of Giants coaches lost their jobs on the spot. Worst call ever.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I pretty much agree with you, the title of the thread was "worst call in the history of sports." As this thread proves, it isn't even close to the worst call ever. Better options? Yes, but things were happening fast and BB wasn't using a timeout (which I couldn't believe).

As far as the worst call in the history of sports, it would be hard to beat the "Miracle in the Meadowlands" in the Eagles-Giants game in 1978. All the Giants had to do was take a knee for the win. Instead, they chose a running play, fumbled and the Eagles returned it for a TD on the last play of the game. Not as big of a stage, but it stunned everyone and a couple of Giants coaches lost their jobs on the spot. Worst call ever.
:agree:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus Lynch had been stopped 3 or 4 times this game in short yardage. I was waiting for someone to post these stats. Coaches like BB and Carroll like to go with the best odds. BB has also fallen victim to over thinking himself based on odds or averages. 4th in 2 in the AFCCG game against the Colts is just one example.

It's not a terrible call if you look at it the way they do. Everything went wrong for the offense while thanks to a great play everything went right for the D.

It sucks bad we know. But that's football and we're arm chair coaches.

Bingo!

One difference in the AFCCG it can be argued he actually made it, but the ref was out of place to make the correct call. But at the same time that's life in the NFL.

And that's also why we watch the games.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great call

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo!

One difference in the AFCCG it can be argued he actually made it, but the ref was out of place to make the correct call. But at the same time that's life in the NFL.

And that's also why we watch the games.

I thought I was the only one that thought they got hosed on that spot?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I was the only one that thought they got hosed on that spot?

People like us aren't allowed to make critical observations of a play because of assumed bias.

I'm biased to some degree, but I like to think I can step back a few paces and look at something objectively.

And on that play my take away is the ref missed the call only because he was out of place. And that happens all the time, and it's part of the game.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People like us aren't allowed to make critical observations of a play because of assumed bias.

I'm biased to some degree, but I like to think I can step back a few paces and look at something objectively.

And on that play my take away is the ref missed the call only because he was out of place. And that happens all the time, and it's part of the game.

Well said.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that they were targeting a kid who not only had never had an interception in the NFL, he never had one in Division I. He played Division II.

Decent chance at a TD, likely to be incomplete, and essentially zero chance for an INT. Wasn't even that bad a throw. Just an outstanding play by the kid. He read the play beautifully, got position, muscled for the ball. It's just football. And the odds of the Pats line stripping the ball from Lynch are just as high as Wilson getting picked off by Butler.

I'd have run Lynch, not because technically it's a better play, but to make the Pats burn their timeout if he didn't get in. The Seahawks could have let it run down to 10 seconds before running their 3rd-down play. But that's nitpicking.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that they were targeting a kid who not only had never had an interception in the NFL, he never had one in Division I. He played Division II.

Decent chance at a TD, likely to be incomplete, and essentially zero chance for an INT. Wasn't even that bad a throw. Just an outstanding play by the kid. He read the play beautifully, got position, muscled for the ball. It's just football. And the odds of the Pats line stripping the ball from Lynch are just as high as Wilson getting picked off by Butler.

I'd have run Lynch, not because technically it's a better play, but to make the Pats burn their timeout if he didn't get in. The Seahawks could have let it run down to 10 seconds before running their 3rd-down play. But that's nitpicking.

I disagree completely.

It a point-blank bullet, into traffic, to an inexperienced wideout.

I'd say the percentages are actually pretty high. In fact it is 50/50 at least. Either the DB jumps the route, or he doesn't, and actually those odds probably increase in favor of the jump, since it was on a condensed field.

It was a bad playcall, considering the situation IMO.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockette may not have that many receptions, but it's his fourth year in the NFL, and he's in practice all the time. Butler's a pure rookie - he only defended three passes in the NFL this year.

That said, a fade to the corner would have been a safer call. But it didn't have to be Lynch - and Wilson didn't have to put it in there if he didn't like how it was developing. Just throw it away.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call a bang bang play at all. Roll right and throw it out the back of you can't waltz in or if no one is Wide Open.

But I'm not going to pretend the play called was some crazy risky proposition. It's just not.