• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The worst call in the history of sports....wow.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flip it around. If the catch is made and Lockette scores is it still a bad call? My answer is yes.

You can't ignore the fact that your best chance at succeeding right there is running the ball. That's what you are known for and that's what your team is best at.

In baseball, bottom of the 9th of the world series, bases loaded, full count. You're up 1. When you can throw a 96MPH fastball, or a sub par slider, you don't hang the slider and get it crushed to lose the game. You throw your best pitch and if the hitter beats you with it, tip your hat. You don't get beat with your 3rd best pitch.

The Seahawks went with probably their 5th best option right there and it cost them the Super Bowl. There's no excusing that IMO.

26 seconds, one time out. Pete was going to have to call a pass on either 2nd or 3rd [unless you are arguing that he should just not use 4th Down. Are you that nuts, nah?].

So, if you run on 2nd down and miss, then you have to call the last TO.

That means the Defense KNOWS you are going to throw on 3rd.

So, the better thing to do is throw on 2nd to keep the Defense guessing. Pete was right to do so.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had to throw on either 2nd or 3rd down just because of the time.

But they should have run on 2nd, called a TO and thrown a fade to that no-name, big WR off of motion on 3rd. Then run again on 4th if needed.

On 2nd, the Dfense doesn't know if you are running or passing.
If you Run and call the TO, then you HAVE TO throw on 3rd, and the Defense will KNOW it.

Pete was going to run Lynch 3 of the 4 downs on that series. He had to throw once.

The most logical time to throw was on 2nd down. Y'all are arguing non-sense.

Throwing is the better call on 2nd down.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26 seconds, one time out. Pete was going to have to call a pass on either 2nd or 3rd [unless you are arguing that he should just not use 4th Down. Are you that nuts, nah?].

So, if you run on 2nd down and miss, then you have to call the last TO.

That means the Defense KNOWS you are going to throw on 3rd.

So, the better thing to do is throw on 2nd. Pete was right to do so.
I'm not saying throwing was the problem. Throwing a slant to your 4th best WR was idiotic. You have a QB who's known for being elusive and having the ability to run if there's nowhere to throw. Roll him out and give him options to look for an actual open receiver or find a lane and run the ball in, the way he has for 3 seasons.

1. Run the ball
2. Read option QB run
3. Play action pass/run
4. Corner fade route (Chris Matthews already having made a few great catches is a great option here)

10. A slant to Lockette in traffic

How well does having that timeout work out when the Patriots have the ball? :L

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing a higher percentage pass, or a low-risk/high reward pass, is right call. That throw, from that point on the field to that particular receiver, is dangerous, regardless what "look" the D is giving you. It is basically a point-blank bullet into traffic in a split-second.

It was not the right call.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying throwing was the problem. ? :L

"You can't ignore the fact that your best chance at succeeding right there is running the ball. That's what you are known for and that's what your team is best at."

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, rolling Wilson out with clear instructions to throw the ball away if there isn't a WIDE open receiver or he cannot literally slow-waltz in would be my call... but let's not go crazy: throwing a slant to basically man coverage is a very LOW risk option... the Db just did a HELL of a job there.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You can't ignore the fact that your best chance at succeeding right there is running the ball. That's what you are known for and that's what your team is best at."
Which is why running the ball should have been option 1, if you'd bother to read my entire post. Throwing is not in itself the bad idea. It's the type of throw Bevell called that is absolutely insane. This isn't hard to grasp.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell ya how many times I've seen that play bounce straight up into the air, right off the receivers chest with no deflection or real pressure from a defender.

It is a tough ball to catch and even more so on a condensed field.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, rolling Wilson out with clear instructions to throw the ball away if there isn't a WIDE open receiver or he cannot literally slow-waltz in would be my call... but let's not go crazy: throwing a slant to basically man coverage is a very LOW risk option... the Db just did a HELL of a job there.

Obviously... :rollseyes:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But Seahawks fans think Wilson is an elite QB.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell ya how many times I've seen that play bounce straight up into the air, right off the receivers chest with no deflection or real pressure from a defender.

It is a tough ball to catch and even more so on a condensed field.
This.

That is absolutely not a low risk play. You ever tried catching a football, thrown that hard within 10 feet while a guy runs right into you?

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On 2nd, the Dfense doesn't know if you are running or passing.
If you Run and call the TO, then you HAVE TO throw on 3rd, and the Defense will KNOW it.

Pete was going to run Lynch 3 of the 4 downs on that series. He had to throw once.

The most logical time to throw was on 2nd down. Y'all are arguing non-sense.

Throwing is the better call on 2nd down.

Ok you are getting redundant now. You have said the same exact thing in different words about 7 times.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why running the ball should have been option 1, if you'd bother to read my entire post. Throwing is not in itself the bad idea. It's the type of throw Bevell called that is absolutely insane. This isn't hard to grasp.

So, AGAIN: throwing on 2nd was the right call... for the reasons I provided.

If you run on 2nd, fail, and have to use the last TO, then the Defense knows you have to throw on 3rd and will be ready.

It's better to have the Defense guessing than knowing what's coming.

CONCLUSION: throwing on 2nd is better.

Carroll was going to run Lynch on 3 of 4 downs. he had to throw on one of them. 2nd Down is the most logical down to throw in that situation.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Seahawks fans think Wilson is an elite QB.

I'm not sure who is calling him elite, but I've seen you posting several times with regards to this matter. Stop generalizing because I guarantee you few Seahawks fans would call him 'elite' but just a very good QB.

Get out of here with this crap.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok you are getting redundant now. You have said the same exact thing in different words about 7 times.

because people keep ignoring the PLAIN AS DAY logic.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, AGAIN: throwing on 2nd was the right call... for the reasons I provided.

If you run on 2nd, fail, and have to use the last TO, then the Defense knows you have to throw on 3rd and will be ready.

It's better to have the Defense guessing than knowing what's coming.

CONCLUSION: throwing on 2nd is better.
Nope.

Your bread and butter is the Beast who is the best RB in the game at getting yards after contact. He gets 1 yard in his sleep. Run it and don't get it, fine. Call the timeout and live to try again. Live and die with your best weapons.

Running is still the best call. Throwing is after that, but only in a way that suits your team. A slant to Lockette doesn't suit the Seahawks. We haven't excelled playing that game all season and it bit us in the ass when it hurt the most.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nfl-super-bowl-2015-memes-and-gifs_1422890200.jpg

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, your call is to run Lynch on 2nd, call the TO, and then have the Defense KNOW you have to throw on 3rd?

Your call is to run Lynch three of the four downs. So was Carroll's.

But somehow, in your world, running on 2nd is better than 3rd. Why? Given that throwing on 2nd keeps Patriots D guessing and running on 2nd leads to them knowing what is coming on 3rd?