• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The unofficially official offseason thread

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make no mistake about it gents, it sucks big time already having to talk about next season. But it is what it is and here we are. I had two really quick decisions I wanted to see the Sox make asap. One, getting rid of TLR, is already a done deal and thankfully at that. Two, what to do about Pito. Doesn't mean this will be the next course of action taken by the brass, they have a LOT of decisions to make. But it would be nice to see his situation get settled early, one way or the other.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar Colas had a very successful 1st year in the minors season - having climbed from high A to AAA - maintaining a .314 average and 23 homers. He had an OPS of .895 and a slugging percentage of .525. He is a lefty bat who can play RF or CF - and a 5 tool player. He struck out 26% of the time, but he played the 1st half of the season at over 30% strike out rate - so improved as the season went along and he moved up.

I don't know if it is wise to count on him to start in RF to start the MLB season, but he will be playing the in the majors sometime in 23. He will be a plus defender and provide LH power. I don't expect the Sox to sign anyone for RF this year. Sheets will likely start there.

The Sox have a number of prospects who are nearly ready to take over 2nd base Romy Gonzales - Lenyn Sosa - ETC, but I would resign Elvis Andrus to play 2nd base to start the season. He is a professional ball player and seemed renewed in Chicago. One more season - should allow the Sox to ease a rookie into the role at 2nd.

I don't think Jose Abreu gets resigned - his power numbers have gone down - and Vaughn needs a regular place in the batting order. Perhaps - the unsaid reason for not bringing Jose back is his quiet leadership turned out to be too quiet to bring along Moncada, Jimenez and Robert. Jose can hook on to a team with a real chance for the World Series.

Vaughn has had two seasons in a row where he has run out of gas and dropped his August .300 average and #3 hitter status down to .275 and a 6th in the order spot. The variable needed to improve this fade is to find him a regular 1st base job and keep him out of the outfield where he is game but doesn't belong.

I'm looking for a manager who can motivate and hold to account - Moncada and Robert - and possibly Jimenez. Speaking of Moncada the Sox need a prospect to push him from behind, but I'm not sure Burger is that fellow.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar Colas had a very successful 1st year in the minors season - having climbed from high A to AAA - maintaining a .314 average and 23 homers. He had an OPS of .895 and a slugging percentage of .525. He is a lefty bat who can play RF or CF - and a 5 tool player. He struck out 26% of the time, but he played the 1st half of the season at over 30% strike out rate - so improved as the season went along and he moved up.

I don't know if it is wise to count on him to start in RF to start the MLB season, but he will be playing the in the majors sometime in 23. He will be a plus defender and provide LH power. I don't expect the Sox to sign anyone for RF this year. Sheets will likely start there.

The Sox have a number of prospects who are nearly ready to take over 2nd base Romy Gonzales - Lenyn Sosa - ETC, but I would resign Elvis Andrus to play 2nd base to start the season. He is a professional ball player and seemed renewed in Chicago. One more season - should allow the Sox to ease a rookie into the role at 2nd.

I don't think Jose Abreu gets resigned - his power numbers have gone down - and Vaughn needs a regular place in the batting order. Perhaps - the unsaid reason for not bringing Jose back is his quiet leadership turned out to be too quiet to bring along Moncada, Jimenez and Robert. Jose can hook on to a team with a real chance for the World Series.

Vaughn has had two seasons in a row where he has run out of gas and dropped his August .300 average and #3 hitter status down to .275 and a 6th in the order spot. The variable needed to improve this fade is to find him a regular 1st base job and keep him out of the outfield where he is game but doesn't belong.

I'm looking for a manager who can motivate and hold to account - Moncada and Robert - and possibly Jimenez. Speaking of Moncada the Sox need a prospect to push him from behind, but I'm not sure Burger is that fellow.
All good topics worthy of discussion. I bolded where I specifically want to respond. I'm not sure Colas will be ready for the Bigs, and this is based on an already high whiff rate at the still-minor league level. Yes, had a good season stat-wise, plus he improved on SO rate in the back half, but it still remains too high. He'd get eaten alive at the majors level. Give him another season or two, maybe even bring him up for a spell as an injury replacement just to see how he fares. I'm with you 100% in hoping that the Sox make a strong attempt to re-sign Elvis - don't let him leave the building!!! Nyuck nyuck.

The only way Vaughn plays 1b full time is that we end up saying buhbye to Pito. I kinda understand the logic in letting him walk, but I seriously believe the man has some really good seasons left in the tank, so it would be bittersweet. And finally yes, the new Mgr needs to show some tough love with a number of his charges, no doubt about that. The key then is who would best fit the bill.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assessing the blame for this crappy season by group and percentile:

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Besides getting good value for Chris Sale, Adam Eaton, and Jose Quintana, Hahn’s tenure as a general manager has been a failure. We are still waiting for the parade. ”

Ya don’t say…

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sorry but this is bs. the front office IS reinsdork! williams is still there because apparently he gives good head. hahn is a question mark. based on my experience as a fan, jerry would not do the things hahn asked of him. if you don't get the money you need you end up with the diekmans. not to mention he certainly didn't get the manager he wanted. to not blame the guys in charge of keeping the team healthy is another oversight here. imo reinsdork is the fucking villain here and has been all along. 75%!
if hahn was smart he would quit.

SELL THE FUCKING TEAM!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, as many of us expected:

Losing our best hitter, our consistently healthiest player, the team leader, don't think for a moment this is not gonna sting. But at least it's a decision made early and we can move on from here. I had hoped for two immediate actions for the Sox to take, ditching TLR and deciding on Abreu's future with the team. Both are now behind us.

I found a quote in the article from Chicago beat writer Bob Nightengale quite interesting:

“Simply, they need to shake up their team, and are making virtually everyone but Dylan Cease and Andrew Vaughn available in trades,” said Nightengale.

Not sure I'd limit this shield to just these two. I mean it's way too early to give up on Robert. I knows he's been injured a lot and has often underperformed to our expectations. But he's far from simply being considered trade bait. I'd say almost the same for Jimenez. Not close to being a defensive gem at all, but with Pito out of the picture, I say meet your new full time DH. I think he'd thrive there - that is so long as he avoids the IL, which is often. And finally, do we really want to think about getting rid of Timmay? Yes another full time candidate for the IL squad, but he still remains the team's sparkplug.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Losing our best hitter, our consistently healthiest player, the team leader, don't think for a moment this is not gonna sting. But at least it's a decision made early and we can move on from here. I had hoped for two immediate actions for the Sox to take, ditching TLR and deciding on Abreu's future with the team. Both are now behind us.

I found a quote in the article from Chicago beat writer Bob Nightengale quite interesting:

“Simply, they need to shake up their team, and are making virtually everyone but Dylan Cease and Andrew Vaughn available in trades,” said Nightengale.

Not sure I'd limit this shield to just these two. I mean it's way too early to give up on Robert. I knows he's been injured a lot and has often underperformed to our expectations. But he's far from simply being considered trade bait. I'd say almost the same for Jimenez. Not close to being a defensive gem at all, but with Pito out of the picture, I say meet your new full time DH. I think he'd thrive there - that is so long as he avoids the IL, which is often. And finally, do we really want to think about getting rid of Timmay? Yes another full time candidate for the IL squad, but he still remains the team's sparkplug.
Rebuild time! Can’t wait for the GM, who should be out of a job, to start his second rebuild.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fortunately nightengale isn't making decisions for the team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebuild time! Can’t wait for the GM, who should be out of a job, to start his second rebuild.
Yeah, I haven't heard a peep about Hahn or Williams for that matter getting the heave-ho. One of Reinsdorf's numerous faults is his strange sense of unending loyalty where there shouldn't be.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf:

We will be active searching for cheap bargains in free agency.
I can see asshole Jerry argue that the team didn’t win when he spent money and thus use that as a reason to revert back to his comfort zone of finishing in 3rd place with a whole team of Josh Harrisons. Book it.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see asshole Jerry argue that the team didn’t win when he spent money and thus use that as a reason to revert back to his comfort zone of finishing in 3rd place with a whole team of Josh Harrisons. Book it.
Hahn said the money will be spent…

…on hookers and booze.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rest assured they will hire the worst possible person. Watch them hire Ron Washington.
I'm worried that it's either him or Bochy. Mind you, on his worst nightmare of a day, Bochy is still 100x better than Washington. It's nothing against him personally and certainly nothing against his excellent track record. But then again TLR also had an excellent track record. So it's really more that I'm against hiring a formerly great mgr who is old and has been been out of the game for a while. No need for a redux.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol watch the Sox hire Chris Getz as manager