• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seattle Seahawks Thread

How Far Will the Seahawks Go in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to repeat as many have said...the big reason is you are EVERY team's measuring stick when you come to town. But...the road games out of DIV are not that scary @ SD, WAS, CAR, KC, PHI. I'm thinking 4-1, but no worse than 3-2.

Split the DIV, but they import some stiff competition in GB, DEN...I think 10-6 unless the OFC takes a big leap.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and look at what I said son. From the start, I never, ever said he was lower than 12-14. To most of Seahawk nation, that is a crime. Look at the way they ripped the actual experts who had Wilson even or below Romo. I compared him to Dilfer because when a fan points to the ring as the reason he is a ''top 5'' QB, it is absurd. If rings were the determining factor, Dilfer would rank ahead of Marino. I did say there were 18 other QB's in the league that would have won a Super Bowl in Seattle last year. Not an insult either, just a fact. And I did say that when Seattle starts paying Wilson 8 figures a year it would signal the downfall of their team. I stand behind that too

In 2 years Wilson has thrown for 3,000+ yards each season, has completed 63.6% of his passes, thrown 26 TD's passes each year to only 19 int's & ran for more than 1,000 yards. Dilfer on the other hand never had more than 2,859 passing yards in a season, completed 55.5% of his passes for his career, never threw more than 21 TD passes in a season, in back-to-back seasons threw 27 int's & there's no need to even mention his rushing numbers. Wilson is a much better QB than Dilfer ever was.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2 years Wilson has thrown for 3,000+ yards each season, has completed 63.6% of his passes, thrown 26 TD's passes each year to only 19 int's & ran for more than 1,000 yards. Dilfer on the other hand never had more than 2,859 passing yards in a season, completed 55.5% of his passes for his career, never threw more than 21 TD passes in a season, in back-to-back seasons threw 27 int's & there's no need to even mention his rushing numbers. Wilson is a much better QB than Dilfer ever was.

my bad: 37 int's

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have them losing in the Divisional round. I could however, see them back in the SB. This young team just got a year older and should be better because of it. To have a season like they just had requires skill, precision, health, and the occasional ball bouncing in the right direction. They'll have to go through that bruising NFC West and the NFC as a whole is obviously the better Conference. They proved they were the best team in football last year but it is very difficult to do back to back especially with that target on their back. The NFC is just to talented for me to get a good feel for. Basically choosing them to lose in the divisional round because of how hard it is to do it twice.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have them losing in the Divisional round. I could however, see them back in the SB. This young team just got a year older and should be better because of it. To have a season like they just had requires skill, precision, health, and the occasional ball bouncing in the right direction. They'll have to go through that bruising NFC West and the NFC as a whole is obviously the better Conference. They proved they were the best team in football last year but it is very difficult to do back to back especially with that target on their back. The NFC is just to talented for me to get a good feel for. Basically choosing them to lose in the divisional round because of how hard it is to do it twice.

Good post and many others have echoed the same concerns.
Last year Seattle was the majority favorite to rep the NFC. Seattle essentially led all power polls wire to wire. Of course all of that is meaningless except that the Seahawks didn't sneak up on anyone. Every team knew they were up against a contender if they faced Seattle that week.
Being told certain things can't be done tends to motivate this team to prove otherwise. I don't think they will coast, even the slightest.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post and many others have echoed the same concerns.
Last year Seattle was the majority favorite to rep the NFC. Seattle essentially led all power polls wire to wire. Of course all of that is meaningless except that the Seahawks didn't sneak up on anyone. Every team knew they were up against a contender if they faced Seattle that week.
Being told certain things can't be done tends to motivate this team to prove otherwise. I don't think they will coast, even the slightest.

Oh I don't see them coasting or taking an opponent lightly. That's just not in their DNA. I like a lot of their players because of that drive and work ethic. Bobby Wagner doesn't get enough credit IMO. In my original post I stated that it wouldn't surprise me if they got back to the SB but doing it in the uber talented NFC is still a very tough task.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to repeat as many have said...the big reason is you are EVERY team's measuring stick when you come to town. But...the road games out of DIV are not that scary @ SD, WAS, CAR, KC, PHI. I'm thinking 4-1, but no worse than 3-2.

Split the DIV, but they import some stiff competition in GB, DEN...I think 10-6 unless the OFC takes a big leap.

the only so called easy game in all that is Carolina. Washington is iffy but I think they turn it around.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco, Denver, Green Bay, @San Francisco: Win 2 (3).
@San Diego, @Kansas City, @Carolina, @Philadelphia: Win 3 (2).
Dallas, @Arizona, @Washington, Arizona, New York: Win 4 (5).
St. Louis, Oakland, @St. Louis: Win 3 (2).

10-6 to 14-2.

I'll say 12-4 just cause I don't like predicting higher than that. 13-3 or 11-5 is reasonable. 10-6 is more likely than 14-2, IMO. 9-7 is too low, 15-1 too much, IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have an over/under of 11 wins this year which seems about right. If I had to guess a win total it would be 12.

The big question will be the OL. If it can perform adequately then this team will be very difficult to beat.

Truth be told I would say the Seahawks had the fewest key losses of the NFC West teams. The Cards lost Dansby and Dockett, the Rams lost their QB, and the Niners lost Whitner, Dorsey and Bowman for at least a month or 2.

The Seahawks lost Golden Tate and some some role players on D. If Harvin can stay mostly healthy and/or Richardson develops into what they think he can be, their receiving corps will be better this year. Losing Clemons and Bryant and MacDonald hurts the depth rotation but none of them were game changers at this point in their careers.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they are the favorite but I can't vote for them to repeat when virtually no one does and I can't say they will lose before then, though I would pick the NFCC if I did. It doesn't mesh with the rest of my predictions, but what am I going to do?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with teams like Seattle repeating is injuries. Defenses can never stay healthy for multiple years. Since the defense is usually consisted of 11+ players (teams like to rotate some positions like d line), injuries can seriously hamper a defense. Take the 06 bears for instance. That team had one of the best defenses of the 00s to start off the season. Tommie Harris was a DPOY and MVP candidate through the first few games. Then he had a knee injury that took him out for the season. Next, Mike Brown, the best free safety the bears have had in the last 20 years, had a season ending injury against the cardinals. That team still had several elite defensive players too, like urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman. It still had a good pass rush, and players in the secondary who were performing very well in Nathan vaster and Chris Harris. Anyway, The combination of these two injuries really set back that bears defense from being a unit that could go down in history to merely a top 10 unit. Had those injuries have not happened, I firmly believe the bears would have won the Super Bowl that year, but I am also a bears fan.

What I am trying to say is a team that relies on its defense needs many players to stay healthy in order to contend. In Seattle's case, I think they need both safeties and Sherman to stay healthy in order for that defense to continue to dominate. There are most likely other cogs in that defense that are vital for them to dominate, but I am not too familiar with that unit. If Sherman, chancellor, or Thomas go down with a season ending injury, that secondary while still very good, becomes very beatable. This is the sole reason I think they will not repeat as Super Bowl champions.

Because of this I think the fact that they got fined for being to physical in practices should worry Seahawks fans more than it should pump them up. Sure that makes their defense look badass, but a defensive player's body can only sustain so many hits until it starts to break down. If that defense loses one or two key cogs, it becomes merely a top 10 defense today. If that happens, I don't think that offense has the firepower to overcome the elite offenses that will be able to exploit those injuries. I've seen injuries take down way too many elite defenses to think its merely a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they are the favorite but I can't vote for them to repeat when virtually no one does and I can't say they will lose before then, though I would pick the NFCC if I did. It doesn't mesh with the rest of my predictions, but what am I going to do?

I read a couple of days ago that if the Seahawks don't win again this year it will be the longest time in NFL history that there wasn't a repeat SB winner.

That isn't to suggest that the Seahawks will win because of that but I think people put too much emphasis on streaks that are largely just small sample size outliers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to add this point as well.

In every decade since the 1960s there has been a team that has not only won back to back Super Bowls but has won 3 Super Bowls in that decade.

1960s - Packers(I'm cheating a little here because the SB only existed in the 2nd half of the decade but the Packers won bunches of championship that decade)
1970s - Steelers(4)
1980s - Niners(4)
1990s - Cowboys
2000s - Patriots

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with teams like Seattle repeating is injuries. Defenses can never stay healthy for multiple years. Since the defense is usually consisted of 11+ players (teams like to rotate some positions like d line), injuries can seriously hamper a defense. Take the 06 bears for instance. That team had one of the best defenses of the 00s to start off the season. Tommie Harris was a DPOY and MVP candidate through the first few games. Then he had a knee injury that took him out for the season. Next, Mike Brown, the best free safety the bears have had in the last 20 years, had a season ending injury against the cardinals. That team still had several elite defensive players too, like urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman. It still had a good pass rush, and players in the secondary who were performing very well in Nathan vaster and Chris Harris. Anyway, The combination of these two injuries really set back that bears defense from being a unit that could go down in history to merely a top 10 unit. Had those injuries have not happened, I firmly believe the bears would have won the Super Bowl that year, but I am also a bears fan.

What I am trying to say is a team that relies on its defense needs many players to stay healthy in order to contend. In Seattle's case, I think they need both safeties and Sherman to stay healthy in order for that defense to continue to dominate. There are most likely other cogs in that defense that are vital for them to dominate, but I am not too familiar with that unit. If Sherman, chancellor, or Thomas go down with a season ending injury, that secondary while still very good, becomes very beatable. This is the sole reason I think they will not repeat as Super Bowl champions.

Because of this I think the fact that they got fined for being to physical in practices should worry Seahawks fans more than it should pump them up. Sure that makes their defense look badass, but a defensive player's body can only sustain so many hits until it starts to break down. If that defense loses one or two key cogs, it becomes merely a top 10 defense today. If that happens, I don't think that offense has the firepower to overcome the elite offenses that will be able to exploit those injuries. I've seen injuries take down way too many elite defenses to think its merely a coincidence.

I am not worried at all about the physicality of Seahawk practices. It conditions the team for the long term brawl they are preparing to face. Seahawks tend to inflict more pain than they get back. In Pete's defense of the fine, he stated that the team practiced just as hard as last year. We were observed by the NFL and given the green light. Pete considered that to be the benchmark for practicing this year.
Reasonable people would agree that significant injuries would have a debilitating effect on a season.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried at all about the physicality of Seahawk practices. It conditions the team for the long term brawl they are preparing to face. Seahawks tend to inflict more pain than they get back. In Pete's defense of the fine, he stated that the team practiced just as hard as last year. We were observed by the NFL and given the green light. Pete considered that to be the benchmark for practicing this year.
Reasonable people would agree that significant injuries would have a debilitating effect on a season.

It beats up their bodies more than they need to be beaten up. If what you said were true, every team would be doing it. Other teams try to limit contact from practices because of injuries in practice and the wear and tear on the bodies. I equate this Seahawks type of practicing to how the Bulls practice in the NBA. If you follow the nba, the Bulls are a tough defensive team that plays with a lot of grit and hustle. Their practices are the same way. However the downfall of the bulls is they are always beat the fuck up for the playoffs because of the hard practices and tough style of play causing them to be cannon fodder for some other good playoff team.

Either way, my whole point was defenses rely on multiple players to succeed. Every weak player on the defense can be picked on and exploited by the offense. It doesn't take near as many injuries to derail a defense as it does an offense led by an elite QB (as long as that injury is not the QB.) I still think the Seahawks defense doesn't get as lucky with injuries this year as they did last year and that's why I don't think they repeat.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks did just have the guy that was expected to be the nickel corner have to now go have "minor" knee surgery. There is no time table for his return. Not the biggest of injuries but it still hurts a bit. His replacement got picked on a ton in the preseason in Jeremy Lane and was quite the hot head if I remember right getting some personal foul penalties that can kill a team. Again this isn't one of those devastating injuries but with less depth at the corner position this year could become an issue real quick.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It beats up their bodies more than they need to be beaten up. If what you said were true, every team would be doing it. Other teams try to limit contact from practices because of injuries in practice and the wear and tear on the bodies. I equate this Seahawks type of practicing to how the Bulls practice in the NBA. If you follow the nba, the Bulls are a tough defensive team that plays with a lot of grit and hustle. Their practices are the same way. However the downfall of the bulls is they are always beat the fuck up for the playoffs because of the hard practices and tough style of play causing them to be cannon fodder for some other good playoff team.

Either way, my whole point was defenses rely on multiple players to succeed. Every weak player on the defense can be picked on and exploited by the offense. It doesn't take near as many injuries to derail a defense as it does an offense led by an elite QB (as long as that injury is not the QB.) I still think the Seahawks defense doesn't get as lucky with injuries this year as they did last year and that's why I don't think they repeat.

In full homer mode, I think Seattle is a little different. Call it BS if you want but comPETE is at every level on this team. It doesn't matter if the player is a high priced FA or a 3rd round pick, whoever practices the best and plays the best starts the game.
There is a DJ that spins loud music during practice. Players even compete on whether or not the DJ plays their requested song.
ESPN was allowed into a Seahawk practice and that was aired about 3 weeks ago. They also mentioned that practice is done at a fast pace, Pete is all over the field, and that this team is a little different that what is considered typical.
Tomorrow we will see how prepared this team is against a strong competitor in Green Bay.
We have no argument regarding whether injuries can kill a teams season.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In full homer mode, I think Seattle is a little different. Call it BS if you want but comPETE is at every level on this team. It doesn't matter if the player is a high priced FA or a 3rd round pick, whoever practices the best and plays the best starts the game.
There is a DJ that spins loud music during practice. Players even compete on whether or not the DJ plays their requested song.
ESPN was allowed into a Seahawk practice and that was aired about 3 weeks ago. They also mentioned that practice is done at a fast pace, Pete is all over the field, and that this team is a little different that what is considered typical.
Tomorrow we will see how prepared this team is against a strong competitor in Green Bay.
We have no argument regarding whether injuries can kill a teams season.

Understandable. I'm happy that you realize you're in full homer mode. However, I expect Seattle to dominate the packers. Their defense will be ready. When you practice that tough, defenders are almost guaranteed to make every tackle since they are used to it. As of now, Seattle is the team to beat until proven otherwise.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a couple of days ago that if the Seahawks don't win again this year it will be the longest time in NFL history that there wasn't a repeat SB winner.

That isn't to suggest that the Seahawks will win because of that but I think people put too much emphasis on streaks that are largely just small sample size outliers.

That's true. I wouldn't be as surprised as some would, I just didn't predict it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks did just have the guy that was expected to be the nickel corner have to now go have "minor" knee surgery. There is no time table for his return. Not the biggest of injuries but it still hurts a bit. His replacement got picked on a ton in the preseason in Jeremy Lane and was quite the hot head if I remember right getting some personal foul penalties that can kill a team. Again this isn't one of those devastating injuries but with less depth at the corner position this year could become an issue real quick.

Walter Thurmond the Third was Seattle's nickle last year and left in FA. Jeremy Lane is his replacement. He is a little dinged up and listed as probable for the game. I thought Lane did quite well during PS in his shot to be the nickle as the job was essentially handed to him. I am not aware of any anger issues with him.
Against GB, it would be helpful to have all DB's available. Simon is out.