• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The season has started

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Castillo missed some time in ST. I think it was for paternity leave. Saturday was only his second Major League outing since March 8th. He might have got some work on the side, but I think the guy is still rusty.

I have no idea why the Reds keep thinking 30+ year old pitchers trending toward retirement are upgrades.

You know a team is off to a bad start when they lose all three games and never lead in any of them. Every time the Reds scored the Nats answered back. The Reds bullpen never gave the team a chance to come back.

The Nats are a good team, but if their bullpen pitches like it did the last two games they're not going to be sweeping too many other teams.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the argument is that the Nats have good pitchers.
I think the argument is valid but it proves that if the Reds can't hit them, they are just another losing team
Until they can beat good teams, they will not be one.
The front office ought to be embarrassed that it lied and said it could scrape these guys off the waiver wire and upgrade. Wait, but ... but ... but the injuries.

Wait til Cody Reed shows us where this pitching depth is located.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitchers they've built this bullpen around is like dumpster diving because you like it. There's a couple exceptions, but for the most part these guys shouldn't be on an active roster.

Now it's onto the Cubs. Weird schedule with a Monday 4:10 Pm start time.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see a lot of these 4:10 games this summer under the CBA.
I think it's prudent early because it's so furcking cold at night until May.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weather is a factor. I woke up to find a layer of snow in my yard today.

Another reason for an early start today is the OD Parade on the 5th day of the season.

It's been a Bah Humbug sort of OD weekend

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy could have had the parade on Thursday. That was not MLB's decision on that.
But I think they might be playing a DH somewhere down the road. Thom B. was discussing the weather for the Pa. trip. Sounds like we should be playing hockey this week.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well still have 159 game to get better.

I noticed that there was a lot of empty seats. Probably mostly because of the weather. This my lead to a moving the starting the season back to where it was.

Last edited:

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the rule change on game times. To my knowledge the CBA only put restrictions on get away games to allow teams to get into the next city earlier. The Reds have always been better than most teams about doing that with business day specials.

Teams pretty much determine their start times other than that. The Reds sent out surveys to season tickets holders concerning earlier start times the last two seasons. If you're trying to get Jr. home earlier on a school night I guess it's appealing. Overall I have no idea if it helps attendance.

The parade is on Monday because the Findley Market Parade committee voted to stay open the week before Easter. It's a business decision for them and I fully understand their side of the issue. I'd assume this will be the case for the forseeable future. Looking at available tickets for today's game there's not going to be much of a crowd at GABP. I wouldn't think there's going to be a big crowd for the parade either.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The parade is on Monday because the Findley Market Parade committee voted to stay open the week before Easter. It's a business decision for them and I fully understand their side of the issue. I'd assume this will be the case for the forseeable future. Looking at available tickets for today's game there's not going to be much of a crowd at GABP. I wouldn't think there's going to be a big crowd for the parade either.

Easter will rarely interfere in the future but if MLB insists on opening the season on Thursday, the Reds and the city need to establish a new platform for this parade, making turning it into a weekend event. It's not going to be an issue in the future in a city where Good Friday is a big deal.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the opener was April 1(fools day) I wouldn't have been as surprised at the relatively good pitching. Back to normal after that...this team can't pitch much, so they better play better D and hit some too, or it's going to be a long sad year...again.

Schebler and Duvall maybe mirror images at the plate, but Duvall is a lot better defenseiy. Schebler has a cf arm (weak) but has the range of a fire hydrant. If he continues to play RF, the opposition will advance baserunners at will on him. Unfortunately, the Reds infinite wisdom has Senzel playing 2b in AAA, not SS. He has plenty of arm, and Scooter can hit a little so I'm confused about Senzel playing 2b. Hell, maybe he can pitch too.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schebler and Duvall maybe mirror images at the plate, but Duvall is a lot better defenseiy. Schebler has a cf arm (weak) but has the range of a fire hydrant. If he continues to play RF, the opposition will advance baserunners at will on him. Unfortunately, the Reds infinite wisdom has Senzel playing 2b in AAA, not SS. He has plenty of arm, and Scooter can hit a little so I'm confused about Senzel playing 2b. Hell, maybe he can pitch too.

I had something of a thought that Peraza may end up getting some reps in center field. I have seen some evidence that he is being considered as a contender to play there. Of course, his OBP rivals Hamilton's and I have no idea if either of these guys plans to steal a base until they actually reach one safely.

On Schebler, I've seen worse in the league. If he can hit, I think RF will be all right for him.
CF is NOT all right with him.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a nice win. Mahle pitched well. Bullpen well, they got the job done. Could have used some more timely hitting, but heck they got the win, and that's what counts.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't get too many 1-0 games so enjoy these when you can.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be the only shut out we get all year! Definitely have to enjoy it!
Haven't seen your comments before. Glad you are here.

Cody Reed today. This ought to be interesting.
Or not.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen your comments before. Glad you are here.

Cody Reed today. This ought to be interesting.
Or not.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As bad as the Reds pitching was last season they had 8 shutouts. The bullpen will be the most likely culprit if they don't surpass that total. Castillo, Mahle, Bailey, and Romano are all capable of throwing 7 shutout innings when on their game. There will be some growing pains, but there also will be days like Mahle had yesterday.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue with Mahle's results yesterday. I think we saw the blueprint for his success. His fastball command is essential to it all. His slider and changeup are average at best with potential to improve, but the way he can maneuver his four seamer was impressive and makes the other two offerings play better. He was especially tough on lefties yesterday pounding them inside with the four seamer. But I think he'll find it much more difficult on the days his fastball isn't as sharp.

Bob Stephenson has better secondary stuff than Mahle, but isn't in the same league with fastball command. I've never seen him be able to effectively manipulate his fastball to create run in or away from the batter.

Castillo and Mahle excel at it and it's has them ahead of guys like Bob Stephenson and Cody Reed.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Bryan Price liking Cody Reed I see no reason why he's in the rotation. The guy was grooving pitches over the plate to cut down on his walks this spring. Opposing batters hit .385 against the guy. I fail to see where that's an improvement worthy of being in the rotation.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to wait more than one or two starts before jumping on the bandwagon. Garrett was good twice before the wheels fell off.
Castillo looked like an interloper, Romano looked like he had potential and Mahle shut down the best offense in the division. Homer looked sharp. The bullpen still has a long way to go and we need to purge it of the retreads, which apparently includes Gallardo for better or worse, and the Quack.
Reed is apparently holding down a spot, but he's never going to be a big-league pitcher. The tools are in the wrong toolbox. His command is spoken in Martian.
As usual, one begets another and scoring 7 runs is better than 1 unless it's not enough to beat 13. Dunno, once around the league into hot weather when the air is different, we shall see.
I think this team can hang around and it's clear a couple of guys are not going to be allowed to gum up the offense needlessly. Hamilton and Peraza have to be worried. The term "rebuild" should not be uttered around these guys now. They are supposed to be part of the step forward, not the 'well, we aren't quite ready yet to contend' excuse.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the media types say names like Kershaw and Maddox in describing Mahle last night. Not sure what they were smoking, but they need to slow their roll. Results and the quality of pitching aren't always the same thing in short sample size.