• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Ringer

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone check out Bill Simmon's new website The Ringer yet?

Started earlier this month. Basically Grantland with some new formating differences (despite Bill's insistance that it isn't the same.)

Grantland was quite possibly the best read out there. Looks like The Ringer will be the same. Highly recommended!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually I wouldn't directly pimp another site here, but I think that it could actually add to the conversations on the 'SportsHoopla.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, its just ok. I liked Grantland a lot better. The Ringer seems to be putting out a ton of content but I'm not interested in like 60% of it. And a lot of it seems to be something like 5 minute reads where you get to the end and you're like "Well that said nothing and was a waste of time". They'll probably find their groove though in the coming months and trim some fat

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, its just ok. I liked Grantland a lot better. The Ringer seems to be putting out a ton of content but I'm not interested in like 60% of it. And a lot of it seems to be something like 5 minute reads where you get to the end and you're like "Well that said nothing and was a waste of time". They'll probably find their groove though in the coming months and trim some fat

I can agree with that to a certain extent. Grantland was certainly superior to The Ringer to this point, but The Ringer still has a lot of interesting reads so far. I do expect to see improvment over time though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious...

Why is this in the Entertainment/TV/Movie forum???

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious...

Why is this in the Entertainment/TV/Movie forum???

It's a website that covers sports and pop culture. That includes tv, movies, video of any type. It could go on any of the sports boards, the music board, etc but I thought that it is best described as "general entertainment", thus this board.

Which board do you think it should be on?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a website that covers sports and pop culture. That includes tv, movies, video of any type. It could go on any of the sports boards, the music board, etc but I thought that it is best described as "general entertainment", thus this board.

Which board do you think it should be on?
That works. I was just curious. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this site is basically a reboot of Grantland. I was not a patron of GrantLand, but my understanding was that it was a sports site.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That works. I was just curious. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this site is basically a reboot of Grantland. I was not a patron of GrantLand, but my understanding was that it was a sports site.

Not really. Grantland was the same. All kinds of stuff. Grantland is dead but the site is still up. Recommended reading.