• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The reigning champs arrive at the Grill for a weekend set: ATL @ TEX 4/29-5/1

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Woody overdoes it occasionally. Not so much going into a game but during a game, especially once the opposing starter is out.

2022 Major League Baseball PH/HR/Situ Hitting | Baseball-Reference.com

According to this, the Ranges have the second most number of PH at-bats, but are only 23rd as far as "contextual importance" in regards to the nature of the ABs. To me that says that Woody likes swapping guys out more for a small advantage in rather inconsequential game situations, rather than situations that have a significant impact on the game.

This is where the metrics fail because it only goes to past performance to project the future

Sometimes a hot hand needs to be utilized
Managers have to use a bit of wisdom when to and when not to bring in

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where the metrics fail because it only goes to past performance to project the future

Sometimes a hot hand needs to be utilized
Like Endy Chavez.....oh wait.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leody is an example. We can utilize Solak's spot to check out more pitchers or anybody Woody wants to explore.
under the guidelines we're limited to 13 pitchers and 13 positional players so we can't replace Solak with a pitcher

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's where I think Woody is falling short. he's obviously using a lot of data to make his decisions, but I think he feels he has to make more decisions than he actually needs to.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's where I think Woody is falling short. he's obviously using a lot of data to make his decisions, but I think he feels he has to make more decisions than he actually needs to.
when you've only got a core of 7 players (and 2 of them are your catchers) and 6 others who shouldn't be on a major league roster he probably thinks he has to play 2 or 3 every game and tries over micromanaging in his attempts to put the best 9 based on the other team's pitching.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you've only got a core of 7 players (and 2 of them are your catchers) and 6 others who shouldn't be on a major league roster he probably thinks he has to play 2 or 3 every game and tries over micromanaging in his attempts to put the best 9 based on the other team's pitching.

he should try not doing that for a while and see what happens.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he should try not doing that for a while and see what happens.
i agree but how long are we as fans going to be satisfied with that? we have a batting order that at times has 5 or 6 hitting around the Mendoza line

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least May's schedule is easier than April's.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree but how long are we as fans going to be satisfied with that? we have a batting order that at times has 5 or 6 hitting around the Mendoza line

I'd need to actually see it happen first, then see what the results are of it happening. Then I'll determine if I'm satisfied.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not against a platoon but as rosters are shrinking it may only be a four man bench. We need a couple guys at the ready both versatile
This also provides more continuity for players time in the field starting
So yeah Woody it seems sits a guy who hit well yesterday because of a matchup. Hater is the over think

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, i don't think it gets much better until next season. the BP needs a major overhaul and as far as the SP i would open the season with Gray, Dunning, Hearn, Winn & White.

position wise, i would go with Garver, Huff, Heim, Lowe, Seager, Semien, Garcia, Jung, Bubba Thompson, Dustin Harris, Davis Wendzel, Josh H. Smith & Hauver.

might take season to gel

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, i don't think it gets much better until next season. the BP needs a major overhaul and as far as the SP i would open the season with Gray, Dunning, Hearn, Winn & White.

position wise, i would go with Garver, Huff, Heim, Lowe, Seager, Semien, Garcia, Jung, Bubba Thompson, Dustin Harris, Davis Wendzel, Josh H. Smith & Hauver.

might take season to gel
Three catchers?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now they are running a Four man non pitcher bench if one other is at DH
this 4th guy is Heim at catcher include catcher and one other Hard to imagine 3 catchers unless one is always DHIng

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get the hate for Kole Calhoun. I mean I’m not a big fan of the guy or anything, but we need some kind of vocal veteran presence on the team and Calhoun is dirt cheap. I think right now it’s harmless.

The rangers used “vocal and club house leadership“ as an excuse to pretty much enable or coddle Odor while he was playing like a double AA quality ball player. It was a huge nightmare because we had to play him every single day and watch him strikeout 4-5 times a night. Kole doesn’t have the lengthy contract or money tied up to him. I’d rather deal with Calhoun in that leadership role than a player like odor anyday.

Willie Calhoun just isn’t going to work out here. The rangers just need to trade him and get whatever they can. Granted, it won’t be much.

I could be wrong about this one, but I think Taveras is one of those AAAA type ball players. Guys who crush at triple AAA, but it never translates to the majors. I hope I am wrong about him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get the hate for Kole Calhoun. I mean I’m not a big fan of the guy or anything, but we need some kind of vocal veteran presence on the team and Calhoun is dirt cheap. I think right now it’s harmless.

The rangers used “vocal and club house leadership“ as an excuse to pretty much enable or coddle Odor while he was playing like a double AA quality ball player. It was a huge nightmare because we had to play him every single day and watch him strikeout 4-5 times a night. Kole doesn’t have the lengthy contract or money tied up to him. I’d rather deal with Calhoun in that leadership role than a player like odor anyday.

Willie Calhoun just isn’t going to work out here. The rangers just need to trade him and get whatever they can. Granted, it won’t be much.

I could be wrong about this one, but I think Taveras is one of those AAAA type ball players. Guys who crush at triple AAA, but it never translates to the majors. I hope I am wrong about him.
You don't think Seager or Semien are veteran leaders? Agree on Willie. Good point about AAAA players.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think Seager or Semien are veteran leaders? Agree on Willie. Good point about AAAA players.
Some people are natural leaders and some aren’t. For all we know, semien and Seager are both introverts.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now they are running a Four man non pitcher bench if one other is at DH
this 4th guy is Heim at catcher include catcher and one other Hard to imagine 3 catchers unless one is always DHIng
Garver will DH at least 4 or 5 times a week

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, Garver is going to DH most of the time so Heim and Huff will divide the time at C
Certainly can happen but I don't see it. Might trade Huff or Heim for a pitcher or COF

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly can happen but I don't see it. Might trade Huff or Heim for a pitcher or COF
out of 17 games so far Garver has DH'ed in 5 games and the Rangers have indicated his DH'ing will increase. beside which Huff can play 1st base so we'll see him there at times.

and if we had a better bench Huff might still be here