• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The reigning champs arrive at the Grill for a weekend set: ATL @ TEX 4/29-5/1

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an update on one of the top draft prospects. This is the guy @DTC wants us to draft.

Kevin Parada has more HRs (22) than Ks (19).

He’s 1 of just 2 qualifying players in the country to do that.

In MLB, it’s only happened twice since 1960:

• Barry Bonds 2004

• George Brett 1980

Oh, and Parada is tied for the national lead w/ those 22

I like it
He’s facing very good pitching too in his division.
One would assume

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another draft prospect update from the same source as the one above about Parada. It is about Elijah Green.

4-30-22 - Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB)

OF Elijah Green's final season line:

25 G

.462/.592/1.000

11 2B

2 3B

9 HR

15 SB

20.4% K-Rate

A very good season. Brought his K-rate down more than 14% from his junior year (2021: 34.7%)

Still work to do, but scouts should feel a bit more confident after this campaign.

Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB)

Major credit where credit is due. Half-way through his senior year with K-rates mounting, we moved OF Elijah Green down to No. 10 on the Prospects Live Top 400. That was a mistake.

His final 15 games? .578/.667/1.349 w/10 2B, 2 3B & 6 HR. K-rate down to 15.8% over that stretch.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another draft prospect update from the same source as the one above about Parada. It is about Elijah Green.

4-30-22 - Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB)

OF Elijah Green's final season line:

25 G

.462/.592/1.000

11 2B

2 3B

9 HR

15 SB

20.4% K-Rate

A very good season. Brought his K-rate down more than 14% from his junior year (2021: 34.7%)

Still work to do, but scouts should feel a bit more confident after this campaign.

Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB)

Major credit where credit is due. Half-way through his senior year with K-rates mounting, we moved OF Elijah Green down to No. 10 on the Prospects Live Top 400. That was a mistake.

His final 15 games? .578/.667/1.349 w/10 2B, 2 3B & 6 HR. K-rate down to 15.8% over that stretch.

Still a scary high K rate for high school..
I don’t remember striking out hardly much at all.
Granted, i wasn’t no where even close to his ability haha.. like at all..

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While looking at draft information I came across a closer for Tennessee named Ben Joyce. He is supposed to go late second round or third, so we won't have a shot at him, but he recently set a college baseball record. He hit 105.5 on the gun.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General consensus across the interwebs seems to be that Willie is a 1 tool player at best, and he struggles to be productive within the confines of that 1 tool. Some say the Rangers never gave him a fair shake, some say the Rangers were more than fair. I've seen a lot of people take a deep dive into very specific stats that are supposed to prove there's potential for good production that may or may not be hampered by opportunity, or luck, or any number of things that can't really be quantified.

I think at the end of the day, he projected to be exclusively a DH when we brought him here 5 years ago. Who's to say how big a part the injuries or coaching has played in things, but to me, he was never going to be more than a 2 tool player best case scenario. Best for both parties to move on from each other.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie was hitting.136. What did he think was going to happen. He has been mostly a DH. The Rangers DH’s are some of the worst in baseball. That needs to improve.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General consensus across the interwebs seems to be that Willie is a 1 tool player at best, and he struggles to be productive within the confines of that 1 tool. Some say the Rangers never gave him a fair shake, some say the Rangers were more than fair. I've seen a lot of people take a deep dive into very specific stats that are supposed to prove there's potential for good production that may or may not be hampered by opportunity, or luck, or any number of things that can't really be quantified.

I think at the end of the day, he projected to be exclusively a DH when we brought him here 5 years ago. Who's to say how big a part the injuries or coaching has played in things, but to me, he was never going to be more than a 2 tool player best case scenario. Best for both parties to move on from each other.

If someone wanted to argue that he is a better hitter than Kole they could easily win that argument. To me he needs to be much better thanKole as a DH. I had not problem allowing him to prove that this year but now he has poisoned the water

Other thing is Leody maybe coming up at the break if not sooner. That will change the OF landscape.
Who knows though maybe Willie blows it out and gets one more chance. We do have a hitter or tow in the minors that may profile as a. DH.

Can’t win them all

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie was hitting.136. What did he think was going to happen. He has been mostly a DH. The Rangers DH’s are some of the worst in baseball. That needs to improve.
People have a tendency to compare themselves to others vs the league standard needed

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think guys like Seager and Semien could be vocal leaders.

I don't want to hear any more about bad luck now that they have told us Willie's bad luck was really not bad luck at all, or at least implied it.
Yes we have heard the hard luck excuses. Some would say go out and make your own luck

Just wonder if there was anything specific from Woodward saying Willie had bad luck because if so he has changed his tune

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie did suffer from injury. So have catchers like Huff and pitchers with TJ surgery. No guarantee comes with recovery. Willie has not shown that he recovered well enough to contend at the top. AAA may have been his best bet to do so but he shot himself in the foot createing an injury he will likely never recover.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teams are starting to release players to get to 26 so the odds of Willie getting traded are shrinking drastically

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we have heard the hard luck excuses. Some would say go out and make your own luck

Just wonder if there was anything specific from Woodward saying Willie had bad luck because if so he has changed his tune

Can't say I'm familiar with the specifics of what Woodward has said about Willie, and the when and why of it. Most of what any manager says about any player to the press is just white noise as far as I'm concerned. Baseball is a game of statistics and those are what I listen to. And the stats tell a story of a player that hits the ball hard on the ground and soft in the air. Willie is certainly not alone when it comes to poor hitting performances, but he's at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to defense, and that made him the most successful.

My bigger takeaway is that the FO seems to be more inclined to pull the trigger on moves when it comes to players these days. Not saying they are making all the right moves in a timely manner, but they are working at a better clip than in years past, and I like seeing that.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm familiar with the specifics of what Woodward has said about Willie, and the when and why of it. Most of what any manager says about any player to the press is just white noise as far as I'm concerned. Baseball is a game of statistics and those are what I listen to. And the stats tell a story of a player that hits the ball hard on the ground and soft in the air. Willie is certainly not alone when it comes to poor hitting performances, but he's at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to defense, and that made him the most successful.

My bigger takeaway is that the FO seems to be more inclined to pull the trigger on moves when it comes to players these days. Not saying they are making all the right moves in a timely manner, but they are working at a better clip than in years past, and I like seeing that.

expendable, not successful.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Others have used the term bad luck, but Woody has said things that he thought that were along the same lines. He all but said Willie was doing everything right.

Like I said last night, either way I am ready for Woodward to move on. Whether he is lying, is dead wrong about the right approach, or he is just wishy washy, I don't care. Either way makes me want him to be replaced.

Guys like Willie, Kole and several others on this team will be gone when we are contenders, but in the mean time how the present team is handled is how Woodward should be judged. He is failing the course. Before those players are all gone, the manager should be gone too.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love the Hearn high FB

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others have used the term bad luck, but Woody has said things that he thought that were along the same lines. He all but said Willie was doing everything right.

Like I said last night, either way I am ready for Woodward to move on. Whether he is lying, is dead wrong about the right approach, or he is just wishy washy, I don't care. Either way makes me want him to be replaced.

Guys like Willie, Kole and several others on this team will be gone when we are contenders, but in the mean time how the present team is handled is how Woodward should be judged. He is failing the course. Before those players are all gone, the manager should be gone too.
I was just wondering if there was a specific quote as that will be telling of his character.
I think it is good to be upbeat but we should never shade things

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie had only one contribution to offer the team, DH. You be the judge if he was the DH of the future.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie had only one contribution to offer the team, DH. You be the judge if he was the DH of the future.

I can't speak for how other teams approach things, but the Rangers (Woody) like rotating guys in and out like crazy, with defense and LH/RH splits given priority over a consistent lineup.

Willie being so poor defensively meant he needed to hit his way into a regular DH presence, and he just didn't do it. Hopefully the kid can get a better shake with another team, but it's time for both sides to move on.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3