• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Real Cy Young Poll

If you only had four to use...

• Total voters

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching one of those guys pitch right now for the Tigers. (Putkonen)There's no shame in not cracking a rotation and being part of a bullpen rather than a AAA rotation. That doesn't mean I believe power arm guys like Chapman or Rosenthal could offer much as starters. They can't pitch in the same fashion when asked to give starter innings. We've seen this out of several guys this season. Hochevar and Cecil were very successful in relief roles, unlike their production as starters. Joba is another guy that comes to mind. (Smoltz and Eck being guys Id use against my point of view). I just don't see many relievers being capable starters, unless they're young, waiting for an opportunity. (Drew Smyly comes to mind as a Tigers fan)

No, I completely understand what you're saying. I misunderstood. I think there are certain pitchers who become less effective later in games and are more effective in other roles. I agree Rosenthal and Chapman are more effective out of the pen. IMO, they could give you starter innings with less efficiency, and there are starters who would be less effective out of the pen.

I just didn't think it was an issue with their stamina, I believe they could continue to pitch at about the same level but seeing a player more often in a game would be tougher for someone like Rosenthal than Verlander.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys, like Bronson Arroyo and Kyle Lohse, I appreciate. But not for the CYA. Other guys with great K/BBrates like Scherzer and Wainwright, I do. And Felix Hernandez. And Chris Sale. If the innings are up there, and the ERA and WHIP are down the total strikeouts aren't as important, IMO.

gotta give credit to Lohse. He did a great job reinventing himself a few years ago in St. Louis.