• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it has been a long time since we have been to the big dance!!

We've been there a lot, actually, over the years. We just haven't been able to win it because we run into a damn dynasty every single time. Montreal, NYI, Edmonton (x2), Detroit and Chicago.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I know Maverick. It has been a long time since we actually won Lord Stanley's Cup but we have been there a bunch as you have adequately stated!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that and that would def be gi-normous!! Dude wants out of Ruskieland because Putin is looking for warm bodies to fill all of the losses they have sustained in Ukraine!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that and that would def be gi-normous!! Dude wants out of Ruskieland because Putin is looking for warm bodies to fill all of the losses they have sustained in Ukraine!
Michkov rumors heating up.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn’t see this coming (sarcasm)

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with Brind'Amour staying put, that means, at least in the short term, Torts isn't going anywhere

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with Brind'Amour staying put, that means, at least in the short term, Torts isn't going anywhere
Torts doesn't need to go anywhere else. He has this squad on the right path IMO. If there isn't improvement from last season I will be surprised. If we can get Hart back and keep building off of what we accomplished last season, I definitely think we make the playoffs.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked and Necas is free agent and wouldn't give up anything for him but i would like to shed some salary and pick him up.

Agreed. Friedman says the Canes probably move on from him too. I'd trade for his rights. Especially if he can move back to C with the Flyers.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can trade away Ristolinan ( I can't even say it with a straight face) to somebody.

Honestly I bet they can trade Risto if they want to. He wasn't bad as a 3rd pair guy this season, just overpaid. But 90% of teams in the NHL will overpay for "big mean guy" and for a RHD. Killing two birds with one stone with Risto. 5.1M for 3 more seasons, I bet they could either retain some salary and get a decent pick/prospect for him. Or they could flip him for another guy that's overpaid a little too.

Depending on how antsy they are to contend, they could just keep him and continue working on his game. He's definitely one of the guys showing improvement under Torts/Shaw. Don't necessarily need that cap space from him this year or next year. Hang on to him, hope he continues to improve a little bit and the shorter the duration on the contract the more attractive he'll be to teams.

A truly patient rebuild clears cap space with Laughton and/or Konecny moves. That's 8.5M in space with significant assets coming the other way too. Obviously hurts you short term, but maximizes assets I think. Move Risto in a year or two when you can get rid of his whole 5M and maybe get an asset for him to boot.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I bet they can trade Risto if they want to. He wasn't bad as a 3rd pair guy this season, just overpaid. But 90% of teams in the NHL will overpay for "big mean guy" and for a RHD. Killing two birds with one stone with Risto. 5.1M for 3 more seasons, I bet they could either retain some salary and get a decent pick/prospect for him. Or they could flip him for another guy that's overpaid a little too.

Depending on how antsy they are to contend, they could just keep him and continue working on his game. He's definitely one of the guys showing improvement under Torts/Shaw. Don't necessarily need that cap space from him this year or next year. Hang on to him, hope he continues to improve a little bit and the shorter the duration on the contract the more attractive he'll be to teams.

A truly patient rebuild clears cap space with Laughton and/or Konecny moves. That's 8.5M in space with significant assets coming the other way too. Obviously hurts you short term, but maximizes assets I think. Move Risto in a year or two when you can get rid of his whole 5M and maybe get an asset for him to boot.
Honestly, I think the Flyers would have to eat salary and provide draft compensation to unload Risto.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, he has improved somewhat. Problem is it's been very spurty, at times he's great and then he disappears. If he was truly a mean feared dman his shortcomings wouldn't be so noticable. Won't kill us to hold on to him for a year or two more but it be nice to move on from the dead weight and start getting more pieces into place.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think it would be easier to get rid of Atkinson than getting rid of Risto to save money that way?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think it would be easier to get rid of Atkinson than getting rid of Risto to save money that way?
I don't know to be honest, it would seem on one hand Atkinson is a stand up guy/ player who knew if he was hurting the team he'd bow out. On the other hand he's one of Torts favs, so I could see them letting him ride out that last year. I definitely would like to have the free cap space though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chy mentioned on the last page Atkinson's buyout is actually not bad. If the buy him out he's a 2.4M hit this year and 1.8M hit next year, instead of 5.3M this year. In the end of year press conferences it sounded like this is a pretty likely, unless they find someone who will trade for him. Presumably the Flyers would have to retain money still, but retaining/trading would be a little more attractive than taking a cap hit next year IMO. Not enough to throw sweeteners at it, but if someone does want him at 50% or something that'd be cool.