• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this Prov was pretty good while here.
So we moved him so we could be short at defense? Sorry, you draft a D man at 7 and he should be a beast on your blueline and in front of your net for 15 years. That didn't happen. So it's a bust.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patrick draft we had number 2 and the following were 1,3,4 and 5:

Hischier
Heiskanin
Makar
Pettersson

UGHHHHHHH!!!!:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
They really should have folded the franchise after that miss. We could have gotten a new expansion team that's better than this garbage.
:deadhorse:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we moved him so we could be short at defense? Sorry, you draft a D man at 7 and he should be a beast on your blueline and in front of your net for 15 years. That didn't happen. So it's a bust.
He may not have been a beats but he was a solid defenseman for us for 7 years. Got a pretty good haul in return for him as well.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic:

An offseason buyout could be coming. Atkinson is on the books at a $5.875 million cap hit next season, and trading him for even half of that (with the Flyers retaining the other half) seems unlikely. General manager Daniel Briere said a week ago in his final press availability of the season that no decisions had yet been made on Atkinson, which suggests they’re at least considering it.

And, buying out Atkinson wouldn’t change the timeline that Briere and everyone else in a position of power in the organization has been talking since they were put in place nearly a year ago — and, which apparently hasn’t changed despite their overachieving this season. The Flyers would save approximately $3.5 million in salary-cap space next season without Atkinson, but would then carry an approximate $1.76 million penalty into 2025-26, according to CapFriendly.

But by 2026-27, the Flyers would have a clean slate (Ryan Ellis aside). The money for Atkinson, Cal Petersen, the buyout of Tony DeAngelo, the trade of Kevin Hayes and, potentially, Ryan Johansen, who could be stashed on long-term injured reserve next season, would all be off the books. The salary cap will presumably be significantly higher by then, too.

In other words, it might be another two full years before Flyers brass is ready to say, yeah, we expect to compete for a playoff spot next season.
The primary takeaway from Briere’s concluding presser is that the calendar remains the same from a team-building standpoint. He all but suggested that the Flyers might even take a step backward next season, and that would still be OK.

“We have to be careful. I know the expectation next year will be that, oh, we’ve got to get into the playoffs,” Briere said.” I don’t even know that we’re there yet. It was a great year, but there’s still a long ways to go. We have to be very careful with that going into next year.”

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the same story in the Athletic:

A long-term extension for Travis Konecny, when he’s eligible for one on July 1, seems inevitable. It will be a big number, and it will likely be seven or eight years. For his part, Konecny didn’t reveal much about the prospect of re-signing with the Flyers when asked about it last week, only saying: “I love Philly.” The hat atop his head reflected as much.

Briere, of course, has to be careful with any long-term extensions at this stage of his roster building. But if the Flyers plan on being a truly competitive team in 2026-27, they’re going to need some established, high-end veterans who can lead the way. Konecny will still only be 29 by the time that season begins (in the second year of his likely extension), and considering he was named as an alternate captain in February, the organization seems comfortable with him in a position of leadership both on and off the ice.

Briere offered a reminder that he needs input from the coaching staff when deciding which players he prefers to keep around. “The coaches have the advantages of being in the fight with the players. Watching from upstairs sometimes you don’t get that feeling,” Briere said.

And Tortorella was a steadfast supporter of Konecny all season long. He made that clear again when, after they beat the Devils in their penultimate game on April 13, 1-0, on a short-handed goal by Konecny, he said: “I think he’s very cognizant that he’s the leader of this team.”

In other words, moving Konecny at this stage would risk upending the culture they’ve been so careful to curate. He’s internally viewed as part of the solution.

Briere left the door open for more significant moves, though, in the form of hockey trades. Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee stand out as two players who could be dangled in the right deal, as mentioned this week, although any trade involving those guys would have to be for a player or players who fit for the future as well as the present.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the same story in the Athletic:

A long-term extension for Travis Konecny, when he’s eligible for one on July 1, seems inevitable. It will be a big number, and it will likely be seven or eight years. For his part, Konecny didn’t reveal much about the prospect of re-signing with the Flyers when asked about it last week, only saying: “I love Philly.” The hat atop his head reflected as much.

Briere, of course, has to be careful with any long-term extensions at this stage of his roster building. But if the Flyers plan on being a truly competitive team in 2026-27, they’re going to need some established, high-end veterans who can lead the way. Konecny will still only be 29 by the time that season begins (in the second year of his likely extension), and considering he was named as an alternate captain in February, the organization seems comfortable with him in a position of leadership both on and off the ice.

Briere offered a reminder that he needs input from the coaching staff when deciding which players he prefers to keep around. “The coaches have the advantages of being in the fight with the players. Watching from upstairs sometimes you don’t get that feeling,” Briere said.

And Tortorella was a steadfast supporter of Konecny all season long. He made that clear again when, after they beat the Devils in their penultimate game on April 13, 1-0, on a short-handed goal by Konecny, he said: “I think he’s very cognizant that he’s the leader of this team.”

In other words, moving Konecny at this stage would risk upending the culture they’ve been so careful to curate. He’s internally viewed as part of the solution.

Briere left the door open for more significant moves, though, in the form of hockey trades. Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee stand out as two players who could be dangled in the right deal, as mentioned this week, although any trade involving those guys would have to be for a player or players who fit for the future as well as the present.
Gotta pay Konecny whatever it costs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta pay Konecny whatever it costs.
I love TK my favorite player on the team by far but whatever it costs sound like a lot.

He does contribute in multiple ways on this team so cant just take his point total into account. He is far more worthy than his his 68 point total.

I hope he gets paid a nice chunk but not enough to put us into a hole like JVRs contract has done to us in the past.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love TK my favorite player on the team by far but whatever it costs sound like a lot.

He does contribute in multiple ways on this team so cant just take his point total into account. He is far more worthy than his his 68 point total.

I hope he gets paid a nice chunk but not enough to put us into a hole like JVRs contract has done to us in the past.

I think they probably will re-sign him and I think the comps probably have him at like an 8yr 8M contract.

If I were the GM though, and I was set on re-signing him, I'd try to get him to do like a 3-4yr x 10-11M contract. If you don't really care that much about cap space while you're rebuilding, why not overpay someone like Konecny to keep the years down? The first couple years it's not big deal, not contending anyway. Next couple years you're just overpaying a couple mil for your leader. After that when you're hopefully in true contender mode you're not locked in to 33 yr old TK at 8M. If he's still good then, maybe he even takes a discount now that the Flyers are contenders.

TK maybe gets net the same 64M, but the Flyers get cap flexibility for what will hopefully be contender years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they probably will re-sign him and I think the comps probably have him at like an 8yr 8M contract.

If I were the GM though, and I was set on re-signing him, I'd try to get him to do like a 3-4yr x 10-11M contract. If you don't really care that much about cap space while you're rebuilding, why not overpay someone like Konecny to keep the years down? The first couple years it's not big deal, not contending anyway. Next couple years you're just overpaying a couple mil for your leader. After that when you're hopefully in true contender mode you're not locked in to 33 yr old TK at 8M. If he's still good then, maybe he even takes a discount now that the Flyers are contenders.

TK maybe gets net the same 64M, but the Flyers get cap flexibility for what will hopefully be contender years.
I would love for him to stay so you presented nice team friendly figures. I love his style of play so i hope he would accept any of your proposals.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Torts vindicated!!! :pound: :suds:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, Bonk, the Flyers' 22nd overall pick from last summer, has two goals and two assists through 10 postseason games at a plus-8 rating, while registering 17 shots on goal throughout.

And Barkey, their 95th overall third-rounder from last summer, has piled up three goals and 10 assists for 13 points, which is second on the Knights right now in postseason scoring. He has also put 31 shots on net and is skating at plus-6 entering Monday night.

Bonk and Barkey, both 19-year old prospects, have been catching eyes this entire season down in juniors and hopefully bring smooth puck-moving, offensive shots in the arms to the Flyers in the near future.

:whoo: :whoo::whoo:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt in my mind that we would've played the Rangers much tougher and closer than the Caps did and IMO we would not have gotten swept.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt in my mind that we would've played the Rangers much tougher and closer than the Caps did and IMO we would not have gotten swept.
Maye if you add Walker back in.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Torts vindicated!!! :pound: :suds:
Yep like I said, I doubt very highly Torts wouldn't have talked to Coots before the benching. His agent was the only vocal opposition. He is the Captain and should be 100% accountable.