• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with the Konecny deal. We probably had to give him either $10 million per season short term or the full 8 seasons at a more reasonable price to keep him. Nice to have him as a Flyer for life, but I also hope he puts up better numbers soon and for the most part can keep it going throughout the contract too. Paying a 35 year old $8.75 million is definitely not without risk, especially when you factor in his smallish size, his style of play and the physical pounding he will take across his career. Above all, I hope he stays healthy.

Would've preferred 10 on a shorter deal. Heck, give him 12M for 3 years. Keep him for the next few years while the team rebuild/tools. Get all the intangibles while Michkov is coming up, put an exciting player on the ice, etc. etc. Then when it comes time to turn the corner his deal is up and you come to a new agreement on a 31 year old TK who's probably pretty happy you gave him 36M the last couple years and hopefully the team is a contender and he's ready to take a discount. Maybe then he signs a 6M x 5 or something like that. He gets the same money in the end but the Flyers get a better deal while they're contending.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels like this is only happening to our club. First Gauthier now Kolosov. I hope this isn't a pattern.

If he informed us he would not return why didn't we trade him.

I think this one is a little different. Kolosov is essentially a nobody. 3rd or 4th on the Flyers depth chart even without Hart. Other young guys to compete with too like Bjarnsson. He can go make better money and be a starter in the KHL.

Probably can't get anything for him in a trade given his essentially unknown status. I would think just about all NHL teams have guys around his level/status.

I bet if Ersson and/or Fedotov struggle this year the discussion with Kolosov will go differently with him next summer.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've preferred 10 on a shorter deal. Heck, give him 12M for 3 years. Keep him for the next few years while the team rebuild/tools. Get all the intangibles while Michkov is coming up, put an exciting player on the ice, etc. etc. Then when it comes time to turn the corner his deal is up and you come to a new agreement on a 31 year old TK who's probably pretty happy you gave him 36M the last couple years and hopefully the team is a contender and he's ready to take a discount. Maybe then he signs a 6M x 5 or something like that. He gets the same money in the end but the Flyers get a better deal while they're contending.
Why would TK put himself in position to try to get a new contract at age 31. If his agent let him sign for 3 years he should be fired. This was TK's last shot at real job security. Unless you are a top 10 player in the league nobody is signing you long term at age 31.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I can't believe this summer is almost over. My poor kid starts school on the 12th, she's not super happy. Hockey right around the corner. I gotta get in at least 3-4 more mountain escapes before September ends. Hopefully by that time I can nestle down for the winter and see what this teams future looks like. I like the outlook and what we have at a lot of positions, along with the youth we have coming in. My main concern is goal tending, I'm not sure either of these guys can get it done long term, we'll see. Sucks how the Hart situation has fucked us, I myself feel that kid may have been legit behind a solid squad, guess we'll never know unless he comes back when he beats the case. Be nice but I don't see him coming back here unless he worked something out with management before they let him go. I mean if he's ultimately innocent, why not give him another shot?
The organization turned their back on Hart. They supported the Canadian government when they attacked him instead of defending him and making canada prove their shit.

"He will play for us until the disgraceful Canadian authorities finish their sham investigation and produce concrete evidence in a court of law."

It was that easy.

And then after the court case you can simply say you "don't believe or accept the canadian process and will not be making business decisions based on a single data point from questionable sources."

Hart plays for years as a Flyer if they handled it properly.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic Salary cap Era NHL franchise rankings (i though we would be lower)

20. Philadelphia Flyers

Total: 16 points
⬇️
2023: 18th, 16 points​

Team president Keith Jones and general manager Daniel Briere are reportedly in the Trevor Zegras sweepstakes, but they made headlines earlier this offseason when they found a way to bring over Matvei Michkov from the KHL. This kid has star potential and should help accelerate the rebuild of a team that surprised everyone by flirting with a playoff spot in 2023-24. Jones and Briere are committed to doing this right and setting this franchise up for the future after years of unstable management.

Total playoff years: 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10SCF, 09, 08CF, 06

Playoff-only years: 8 | Conference finals: 1 | Cup finals: 1 | Cup wins: 0

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 368897
All bad news at the position. Massive failure by the Flyers. Another massive failure. The whole point of your guys' plan is to suck to get prospects. But the prospects keep wanting to leave. Lol. No plan. No hope.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure run-of-mill move. Fan friendly guy gets to stay forever. Appeases the common fan.

Would be ok contract except for the NMC.
If you have a problem with the no movement clause then you must be expecting the Flyers to keep sucking for 5 more years and needing to move talent for future resources.

If that's the case then Konecny shouldn't have signed at all just to be a part of a shitty team with no future. He could have picked his spot in just one year.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a problem with the no movement clause then you must be expecting the Flyers to keep sucking for 5 more years and needing to move talent for future resources.

If that's the case then Konecny shouldn't have signed at all just to be a part of a shitty team with no future. He could have picked his spot in just one year.
Sadly I do expect them to suck for at least 3 years - and more likely 5. If TK goes under a friendly contract that DOES NOT have an NMC he is deadline trade bait for the next 3 years to contenders at that are competing for the Cup in that season. Players are always over valued at the trade deadline, and flyers could take advantage of that to gain more value than they give up, and just maybe move up the competitiveness scale.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The organization turned their back on Hart. They supported the Canadian government when they attacked him instead of defending him and making canada prove their shit.

"He will play for us until the disgraceful Canadian authorities finish their sham investigation and produce concrete evidence in a court of law."

It was that easy.

And then after the court case you can simply say you "don't believe or accept the canadian process and will not be making business decisions based on a single data point from questionable sources."

Hart plays for years as a Flyer if they handled it properly.
Pretty sure he could not have played after the charges were brought. He and the others were not suspended as they all took an indefinite leave of absence. If they did not take the leave, it looks like the league would have suspended them. The length of the suspension based on domestic violence looks to be at least 20 games. I would think an alleged sexual assault would carry a longer suspension under their CBA. Had the Flyers tried to be rebels and kept him active, the league would have suspended him for a minimum of the remainder of the season.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure he could not have played after the charges were brought. He and the others were not suspended as they all took an indefinite leave of absence. If they did not take the leave, it looks like the league would have suspended them. The length of the suspension based on domestic violence looks to be at least 20 games. I would think an alleged sexual assault would carry a longer suspension under their CBA. Had the Flyers tried to be rebels and kept him active, the league would have suspended him for a minimum of the remainder of the season.
Glad you took the few minutes to explain it, maybe some people will understand but I doubt it!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly I do expect them to suck for at least 3 years - and more likely 5. If TK goes under a friendly contract that DOES NOT have an NMC he is deadline trade bait for the next 3 years to contenders at that are competing for the Cup in that season. Players are always over valued at the trade deadline, and flyers could take advantage of that to gain more value than they give up, and just maybe move up the competitiveness scale.
Konecny says fuck that and signs with a contender in 2025. His pick.

He's not signing just to get traded. That would be stupid.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So his suspension would be over and he'd be back. That's what you wrote.

The Flyers had nothing to lose and instead they lost their fucking goalie.