• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excellent breakdown of free agents and assumed contracts.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now suddenly Konecny wants the bigger bucks. WTH?

I mean, his agent/team/representation is only doing their job by asking for the moon.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TK really wants 10 million per for 9 seasons do we sign him or trade him?
Depends on what we can get back.
I wouldn't trade him just to trade him.

All we need is two teams interested to drive up the price.
And if there aren't two teams or even one team interested in trading for him, we could use that against his request.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the McDavid draw. But surely not the two teams the NHL would draw up if they were looking for ratings.
Well the NHL still isn't as corrupt as the NBA even if they cheated for Chicago.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was explained during the season in more detail but to summarize you have to pay him more because of the shit team you have made him play with.

And even more importantly, if you want anyone to keep developing you have to have a successful leader to show them the way and give them a fighting chance every night.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trade him without hesitation. I'm concerned about giving him 8, if he wants 10, good luck man it's mostly been awful, but you've been fun.

10M for TK is absurd. That's tied for 15th highest cap hit in the league. Even the most die-hard TK fans don't think he's anywhere near a top 15 player in the league.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if there aren't two teams or even one team interested in trading for him, we could use that against his request.
TK is my favorite player on the team by far and away. I would never trade him just to trade him but if he stands firm on 10 million per we would have to test the waters.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him without hesitation. I'm concerned about giving him 8, if he wants 10, good luck man it's mostly been awful, but you've been fun.

10M for TK is absurd. That's tied for 15th highest cap hit in the league. Even the most die-hard TK fans don't think he's anywhere near a top 15 player in the league.
I agree 100%

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was explained during the season in more detail but to summarize you have to pay him more because of the shit team you have made him play with.

And even more importantly, if you want anyone to keep developing you have to have a successful leader to show them the way and give them a fighting chance every night.
I agree about the leadership but 10 million per for say like 7 seasons is way to much to pay for TK and we would have to explore a trade.

I really hope a trade doesn't happen as i love his style of play.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%

That's way too much money to wrap up in TK. That's game changing player type money. While TK is a very good player he's not a game changing player.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“For a year, two years,” opined analyst and longtime NHLer Dave Reid. “Like, you start stretching those numbers out with term… that’s the issue with going term with a high number for some players."

For a year or 2, I'm actually kind of for that. Get to keep your best/most exciting player for a couple years that will likely still be a bit of a slog. Cap isn't really a big deal while you're rebuilding. Deals up by the time you're ready to compete and it's another decision. Maybe at that point TK is willing to do a 5-6 year deal at 5-6M instead.

But..
2x10 + 6x6 = 56M for 8 years
8x8 = 64M for 8 years

And you don't get the long term security with the chopped up, front loaded deals. So not a lot in it for TK to structure it this way. He'd just be making sacrifices in hopes the team can contend on the 6x6 portion. Also the risk that the team doesn't want to do that 6x6 deal in 2 years if his play doesn't stay at a high level as he starts to round 30.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“For a year, two years,” opined analyst and longtime NHLer Dave Reid. “Like, you start stretching those numbers out with term… that’s the issue with going term with a high number for some players."

For a year or 2, I'm actually kind of for that. Get to keep your best/most exciting player for a couple years that will likely still be a bit of a slog. Cap isn't really a big deal while you're rebuilding. Deals up by the time you're ready to compete and it's another decision. Maybe at that point TK is willing to do a 5-6 year deal at 5-6M instead.

But..
2x10 + 6x6 = 56M for 8 years
8x8 = 64M for 8 years

And you don't get the long term security with the chopped up, front loaded deals. So not a lot in it for TK to structure it this way. He'd just be making sacrifices in hopes the team can contend on the 6x6 portion. Also the risk that the team doesn't want to do that 6x6 deal in 2 years if his play doesn't stay at a high level as he starts to round 30.
Not paying your best players is a recipe for dwelling in the cellar for another decade.

How many draft picks do we have to blow?? Trade Konecny for 5 picks... 3 blown picks... now you really suck.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We don't even have a top 15 player. Now you don't want to even have a top 50 player?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't even have a top 15 player. Now you don't want to even have a top 50 player?

Hell no, not at that price. Doesn't make a lick of difference right now, but a 10M, 32 year old TK in 2028 will be the definition of an albatross. You're not going compete now anyway, don't handcuff your ability to compete in a few years by signing a ridiculous contract so there's an entertaining player on the roster while you suck.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not paying your best players is a recipe for dwelling in the cellar for another decade.

How many draft picks do we have to blow?? Trade Konecny for 5 picks... 3 blown picks... now you really suck.

There's no other way to build a contender.

Panthers "core":
Barkov - draft
Ekblad - draft
Tkachuk - trade (but by trading a guy you drafted #3 overall after a 115pt season)
Bob - free agent (as recently as a few years ago people talked about his contract as an albatross)

Edmonton:
McDavid - draft
Draisatl - draft
Nugent-Hopkins - draft
Bouchard - draft
Skinner - draft

Dallas:
Robertson - draft
Johnston - draft
Hesikanen - draft
Benn - draft
Oettinger - draft

TB:
Stamkos - draft
Kucherov - draft
Point - draft
Hedman - draft
Vasilevski - draft

Colorado:
Mackinnon - draft
Rantanen - draft
Makar - draft

Boston:
Pastrnak - draft
Marchand - draft
McAvoy - draft
Swayman - draft

Carolina:
Aho - draft
Svechnikov - draft
Pesce - draft
Slavin - draft

Winnipeg:
Scheifele - draft
Ehlers - draft
Connor - draft
Morrisey - draft
Hellyebuck - draft

Toronto:
Matthews - draft
Marner - draft
Nylander - draft
Reilly - draft

NYR is Las' go to example of a team that wasn't built through the draft. But Fox demanded a trade to the Rangers and Panarin took less money to sign with the Rangers. I'm not counting on the Flyers being able to replicate that. Plus Shesterkin, who they drafted, carried them in the playoffs anyway.

Did I miss anyone that anyone thought had a chance to win the cup? Vegas, excluded. Don't think the league is going to let the Flyers re-draft their whole team. So out of the 10 other cup contenders this year, one team didn't build it's core through the draft and they had some pretty special circumstances. Maybe you can make an argument that Florida built a different way, but Ekblad and Barkov plus the Huberdeau return of Tkachuk is a pretty strong argument that a huge portion of their talent came from the draft.

The solution to 'we dont draft well' isn't find another way to build. It's to get better at the draft. It's the only way that's in your control to build a Stanley Cup caliber core of players. People don't let elite talent get to free agency and they don't trade them unless they're getting elite talent back.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no other way to build a contender.

Panthers "core":
Barkov - draft
Ekblad - draft
Tkachuk - trade (but by trading a guy you drafted #3 overall after a 115pt season)
Bob - free agent (as recently as a few years ago people talked about his contract as an albatross)

Edmonton:
McDavid - draft
Draisatl - draft
Nugent-Hopkins - draft
Bouchard - draft
Skinner - draft

Dallas:
Robertson - draft
Johnston - draft
Hesikanen - draft
Benn - draft
Oettinger - draft

TB:
Stamkos - draft
Kucherov - draft
Point - draft
Hedman - draft
Vasilevski - draft

Colorado:
Mackinnon - draft
Rantanen - draft
Makar - draft

Boston:
Pastrnak - draft
Marchand - draft
McAvoy - draft
Swayman - draft

Carolina:
Aho - draft
Svechnikov - draft
Pesce - draft
Slavin - draft

Winnipeg:
Scheifele - draft
Ehlers - draft
Connor - draft
Morrisey - draft
Hellyebuck - draft

Toronto:
Matthews - draft
Marner - draft
Nylander - draft
Reilly - draft

NYR is Las' go to example of a team that wasn't built through the draft. But Fox demanded a trade to the Rangers and Panarin took less money to sign with the Rangers. I'm not counting on the Flyers being able to replicate that. Plus Shesterkin, who they drafted, carried them in the playoffs anyway.

Did I miss anyone that anyone thought had a chance to win the cup? Vegas, excluded. Don't think the league is going to let the Flyers re-draft their whole team. So out of the 10 other cup contenders this year, one team didn't build it's core through the draft and they had some pretty special circumstances. Maybe you can make an argument that Florida built a different way, but Ekblad and Barkov plus the Huberdeau return of Tkachuk is a pretty strong argument that a huge portion of their talent came from the draft.

The solution to 'we dont draft well' isn't find another way to build. It's to get better at the draft. It's the only way that's in your control to build a Stanley Cup caliber core of players. People don't let elite talent get to free agency and they don't trade them unless they're getting elite talent back.
Vegas is a second example of a cup winning team with only 1 player drafted by them on the stanley cup winning team.

They dont get excluded They had 7 years to draft and only 1 player drafted was on the winning team.