• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official World Cup Thread

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghana is -1 in goal differential and the US is +1, so Ghana would have to win by 3 goals to upend the US.

To append this message, let's say Ghana wins and the US loses to Germany. Both teams would have 4 pts so Ghana would have to score 2 goals or more to pull out of the group. Had to think about the math for a sec to see what possible scenarios/permutations are out there.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, Suarez should be suspended for 1 year and then face a possible lifetime suspension from the sport - he bit someone in Nov 2010, made racial slurs in 2011, bit someone in April 2013, and now bit Chiellini in today's match.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghana is -1 in goal differential and the US is +1, so Ghana would have to win by 3 goals to upend the US.

Doesn't really matter. The point is some how goals scored and goal differential is more important in soccer than who actually won between the 2 teams. I guess it promotes an "Oh well we got beat 2-0 today, but if we can 5-0 our next game we still got a chance" attitude. I just think it's dumb to not consider a head to head match as the main determining factor in a tie-breaker. If the 2 teams tied in their head to head then bring on the goals scored.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't really matter. The point is some how goals scored and goal differential is more important in soccer than who actually won between the 2 teams. I guess it promotes an "Oh well we got beat 2-0 today, but if we can 5-0 our next game we still got a chance" attitude. I just think it's dumb to not consider a head to head match as the main determining factor in a tie-breaker. If the 2 teams tied in their head to head then bring on the goals scored.

It does matter because that's the rule. I disagree with it as well, but since that H2H matchup doesn't have role in the group play, GD is very significant.

If I were setting up the system, I'd make it 1. Total points in group play 2. Tie: H2H matchup and 3. Goal differential.

But since H2H is irrelevant, it is what it is.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does matter because that's the rule. I disagree with it as well, but since that H2H matchup doesn't have role in the group play, GD is very significant.

If I were setting up the system, I'd make it 1. Total points in group play 2. Tie: H2H matchup and 3. Goal differential.

But since H2H is irrelevant, it is what it is.

H2H is relevant but it's only considered if total goals and goal differential between the 2 teams is the same.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, to be technical, it's rare for a team to get shutout in a prior match only to shutout their opponent in the next match by that kind of margin. And if teams think like that, then they're probably out - look at Italy.

You control your own destiny by each game on the pitch knowing full well there are only 3 games that decide whether or not you make it to the knockout stages so every game counts.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2H is relevant but it's only considered if total goals and goal differential between the 2 teams is the same.

True but rarely does it get that far - total points, goal diff, then total goals scored.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded part only occurs if Ghana wins and scores 2 or more goals and USA loose and doesn't score right?

If Ghana wins and USA loses, the USA needs to only lose by 1 and Ghana win by the same score as the USA/GER game, since Ghana is only behind 1 goal in the standings. Ghana advances IF the USA loses & Ghana beats Portugal by more than 1 goal of what the USA scores against Germany.

ie: Ghana 4 - Portugal 3 means the USA needs to lose USA 3 - Germany 4 (or USA 4 - Germany 5) in order to advance.

A Portugal win is much safer for the USA, just no 4-0 or 0-4 games and the USA is golden.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be less of a problem if Portugal win. Good thing Pepe is back and Muntari is suspended.

attachment.php

I'll repost this since I doubt alot of people saw this on the other page. Thanks SJ :suds:

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ghana wins and USA loses, the USA needs to only lose by 1 and Ghana win by the same score as the USA/GER game, since Ghana is only behind 1 goal in the standings. Ghana advances IF the USA loses & Ghana beats Portugal by more than 1 goal of what the USA scores against Germany.

ie: Ghana 4 - Portugal 3 means the USA needs to lose USA 3 - Germany 4 (or USA 4 - Germany 5) in order to advance.

A Portugal win is much safer for the USA, just no 4-0 or 0-4 games and the USA is golden.

First tiebreaker is GD: if US loses by one and Ghana wins by one, both teams have zero for a GD right? Second tie breaker is total goals scored: at this pt US has scored 4 and Ghana has 3 --> if US scores 3 and Ghana scores 4 then total number of goals scored is 7, so then that's where Kinzu's point will be made where H2H is the third tie breaker.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
attachment.php

I'll repost this since I doubt alot of people saw this on the other page. Thanks SJ :suds:

Portugal's defenders just need to shutdown those long balls to Gyan and the other forwards, and they'll be fine. Also tighten up their defense after the 80th minute because Ghana has scored roughly 40% of their goals after the 80th minute.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, Suarez should be suspended for 1 year and then face a possible lifetime suspension from the sport - he bit someone in Nov 2010, made racial slurs in 2011, bit someone in April 2013, and now bit Chiellini in today's match.

can't argue that.... He's disappointed me again and really on my nerves... and I thought he nearly signed with Barca today. Falcao may be Real Madrid bound though...

back to Suarez... Idk wtf is wrong with him... he must have some disorder honestly.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First tiebreaker is GD: if US loses by one and Ghana wins by one, both teams have zero for a GD right? Second tie breaker is total goals scored: at this pt US has scored 4 and Ghana has 3 --> if US scores 3 and Ghana scores 4 then total number of goals scored is 7, so then that's where Kinzu's point will be made where H2H is the third tie breaker.

well that could be tricky... say usa loses 0-1, they remain at 4 for total goals n zero in GD but Ghana wins 2-1... GD for USA n Ghana is at -0- but total goals then becomes USA 4 - Ghana 5(3+2)......

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that could be tricky... say usa loses 0-1, they remain at 4 for total goals n zero in GD but Ghana wins 2-1... GD for USA n Ghana is at -0- but total goals then becomes USA 4 - Ghana 5(3+2)......

Correct. USA holds the H2H tiebreaker in case

USA 0 - Germany 1

Ghana 1 - Portugal 0

Ghana/USA GD = 0-0

Ghana/USA GS = 4-4

H2H = USA

That's why if the USA loses they need to lose by 1, and the USA/GER score needs to be a reverse of a Ghana victory.

Like this:
Ghana 3 - Portugal 2

Germany 3 - USA 2

Ghana GD = 0 - GS = 6 (3+3) GA = 6 (4+2)

USA GD = 0 - GS = 6 (4+2) GA = 6 (3+3)

If Ghana wins by 2+ scores or Ghana wins while USA loses by 2+ goals allowed, USA loses their tiebreaking edge and are knocked out.

Luckily, this can all be avoided with a USA draw or victory.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tremendous goal by James Rodriguez of Columbia. Only 22-years-old too. He'll be getting some major offers soon.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ivory Coast out. The most brain dead team in the tourney but heck were they fast

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think that was truly a penalty on the Ivory Coast? Dude was BARELY touched and his foot dragged the ground and tripped himself!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does anyone think that was truly a penalty on the Ivory Coast? Dude was BARELY touched and his foot dragged the ground and tripped himself!

I've seen more contact in the box vs Ivory Coast, but the thing is the Ivory Coast decided to make a wall near their end of the field. They allowed Greece to run up to the point they were just outside the box. They took out their two main leaders in #11 and #10. The offense didn't come back to help on D. I was waiting for them to lose that game, it was only a matter of time.