• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official World Cup Thread

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Would Landon Donovan have helped or further hindered team USA?

I don't think he would have had the legs to keep up with all the turnovers and misplayed passes/crosses that plagued the team.

Would have given them one more body since Altidore was out and out early. In retrospect, he was a waste of a roster spot, but hindsight is 20/20. Still

But no, even with Donovan, Belgium is the superior team - they are essentially the youth movement of France that couldn't make it to the senior team (Evra, Benzema, etc).

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you get to the knockout stages (round of 16), the tie system no longer exists.

The only reason why they have ties is when you're in a group stage and the top 2 from each group passes based on how many points (wins or ties) were accumulated.

Btw, I picked Germany and Argentina as my final 2 with Germany winning the whole thing. Boom!

Your favorite team is Barcelona but you pick Germany to win it all? Way to have faith in Messi.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your favorite team is Barcelona but you pick Germany to win it all? Way to have faith in Messi.

Technically, my favorite teams are Barca and Arsenal (who are coming to the US and playing against the Red Bulls, finally!). But the nation I root for is Spain because of my heritage. I love Messi but I don't use emotions when it comes to picking a team to win a game. I may be biased and hope that a certain outcome happens, but I've been saying that Germany was the team to beat. If you follow the WC and the Euro Cup, Germany has been knocking on the door for years now, and finally busted it open. So many heartbreaks, but they were grooming themselves for better days like this. It's eerily similar to the 49ers and their situation as it stands - knocking on the door and coming close, but one day it'll happen.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casillas was done for over a year.... he nearly blew the CL for Real.... SMH...:L

But happy to see Pique exposed... he's a big guy(who stole my Shakira!) but slow as hell... finally someone got to him. Really missed Puyol IMO.

Costa, he isn't or hasn't really trained with the spain team. Watching him at Atleti, his style really doesn't fit the current Spain style. Could he adapt? sure. Could the team change styles? of course, but IMO there wasn't enough time for that. Jese is a guy that will be great for Spain once he recovers fully. Isco should be getting much more international playing time. Alba, I'm surprised he has fell off of sorts.

Also they didn't have Messi...lol...jk... Honestly surprising departure this early IMO. I had them falling before the final 4 IIRC but this early in this fashion, wow.... first the Heat now la roja furia... Yoshi must be pissed.

Ha! Yes I was Cal, but the selection of the team was one of the most baffling things I've seen in history - up there with Stonehenge, the Egyptian pyramids, and the Bermuda Triangle.

Surprising departure, but they need some new blood in there, which they actually have, but weren't picked. Torres should be done and left out. I actually am not surprised Cesc wasn't selected because of his lack of form at Barca over the last couple of seasons which is why Barca let him off to Chelski. However, I agree, Pique is big but doesn't have the speed to pull it off.

Mind you, Spain's youth have won several of the under 21 tourneys over the last few years, so their future is bright, it's just a matter of who is selected. Perhaps this is De Gea's turn to takeover for Casillas, and maybe we see more of Juan Mata and Alcantara in the midfield with Iniesta?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, but I'll add one more thing there Cal - they need central defenders as well - i.e. the Portugal game.

They have talent at striker and some young depth with talent on the wings at midfield, but Bradley doesn't cut it for me.

I agree with Bradley... I think his one true role is a defensive midfielder but even with that, he gets out of position too consistently IMO and that to me serves more of an obstacle for the team since no one really covers his back in those moments.

They as well any many other countries can develop those central defenders, wings or strikers... that's not necessarily uncommon to find as you'd know.

It's the #10 as they say that is hard to develop or find. Well, depends on what system you employ I guess but for the most part, you'd feel confident with a #10.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! Yes I was Cal, but the selection of the team was one of the most baffling things I've seen in history - up there with Stonehenge, the Egyptian pyramids, and the Bermuda Triangle.

Surprising departure, but they need some new blood in there, which they actually have, but weren't picked. Torres should be done and left out. I actually am not surprised Cesc wasn't selected because of his lack of form at Barca over the last couple of seasons which is why Barca let him off to Chelski. However, I agree, Pique is big but doesn't have the speed to pull it off.

Mind you, Spain's youth have won several of the under 21 tourneys over the last few years, so their future is bright, it's just a matter of who is selected. Perhaps this is De Gea's turn to takeover for Casillas, and maybe we see more of Juan Mata and Alcantara in the midfield with Iniesta?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Spanish national team, very talented squad with each other. The guys nearly grew up with one another through the academies.

Torres, yeah, I was a big fan of his and rightfully so. He was a scoring machine. That injury just crippled his body, mind and spirit, never the same after. Cesc disappeared once he came to Barcelona, never had a defined role like he did with Liverpool. Pique peaked... he had better legs before for his size, not great but better and I saw it through La Liga n Champions league, the forwards were burning him. Idk if the departure of Puyol affected his positioning skills(mind) or what.

For sure the youth is on the horizon, Isco should've been more involved but how can you over the Iniestas, Xavis, Silva(fail) etc... But Isco, maybe biased, should get some real consideration. Costa was a forced selection... just not enough time to work out IMO.

I'm sure Spain will be a threat but perhaps the "possession" game needs to be altered for the new crew coming in. The original cast defined that style and were patient for it, I can't say the new blood has that in them thus maybe changing it up to more of an aggressive pitch?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, my favorite teams are Barca and Arsenal (who are coming to the US and playing against the Red Bulls, finally!). But the nation I root for is Spain because of my heritage. I love Messi but I don't use emotions when it comes to picking a team to win a game. I may be biased and hope that a certain outcome happens, but I've been saying that Germany was the team to beat. If you follow the WC and the Euro Cup, Germany has been knocking on the door for years now, and finally busted it open. So many heartbreaks, but they were grooming themselves for better days like this. It's eerily similar to the 49ers and their situation as it stands - knocking on the door and coming close, but one day it'll happen.

After Uruguay n Colombia were gone, I wanted South America to win it... keep it home(well my blood's home lol) so I was forced to root for Messi n Argentina... two figures I normally wouldn't lol...

but no Doubt I liked Germany and thought they were the favorites after 2010... well deserved, well equipped and well played. They have one more real good run in them for sure... could repeat in Russia.