• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup After 2 Games

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most wide open World Cup I've ever seen. Been watching one way or another since 1962.

Group A: Brazil would have to lose to Cameroon to be denied a Group of 16 berth. Despite all the upsets, can't see that happening. Mexico and Croatia would have to play to a draw for that to happen. That's possible. In that case Mexico would advance. Either Mexico or Croatia advances with a win. If Mexico wins Brazil automatically qualifies. Mexico has looked like the stronger team and should win.

Predictions: Brazil and Mexico

Group B: Real easy. Two teams have already qualified, Netherlands and Chile. This game is just a preliminary between two teams that can win the Cup if things go right for them.

Predictions: Netherlands and Chile in that order after they play to a tie.

Group C: Columbia has already made it to the next round. Japan is not physical enough to beat Columbia and Japan's best hope is for a draw. But since they need to win to advance, they will likely leave themselves open for quick strikes and Columbia should finish with 9 points to win the group. Greece just seems to be hanging on without much of an attack. Can't see any better than a tie with the Ivory Coast, but likely a loss.

Predictions: Columbia and Ivory Coast

Group D: What a group. England is already out. Costa Rica is already in. Impossible to have believed before the tournament started. I can see England winning this game if only for pride. Costa Rica has little to lose. Unless they lose bad, they're likely to top the group. That leaves Italy and Uruguay for the other spot. Uruguay looks like a different team with Luis Suarez. Italy needs only a tie to advance. I honestly think the Italians will be playing for a tie, but that's usually fatal. I like Uruguay to beat Italy and advance.

Predictions: Costa Rica and Uruguay

Group E: France is all but in with 6 points. They play Ecuador and neither team is a sure thing. France would have to lose this game by a few goals and Switzerland would have to beat Honduras also by a large margin. Both are not likely to happen. Even Honduras has a chance if they really beat Switzerland by a large margin. This leaves this group wide open. I'll count Honduras out. Nothing they've done has convinced me that they will win a game. If Switzerland gets even a draw, if forces Ecuador to win to advance. Real difficult to call this one.

Predictions: France and Switzerland

Group F: Argentina is already through and Bosnia is out. That leaves it up to Nigeria and Iran. Iran could advance with a win over Bosnia, which is possible. Nothing less than a win would save them. They play great defense. Nigeria needs a point against Argentina and if Argentina rests some players, that's also possible. Tough one to call, but Iran lacks a decent offense, therefore I can't see them winning against Bosnia.

Predictions: Argentina and Nigeria

Group G: If Germany and US draw, then both advance. Would Germany rest it's star players. Not likely since they haven't made it through. A draw is the best the US can hope for. Germany would win the group with a draw. Portugal is in a bad position. Goal differential is the enemy. The 4-0 loss to Germany is a killer. They must beat Ghana to have any chance and Ghana also must beat Portugal for them to have any chance. Ghana is likely favorite, but neither is a sure thing. US must be careful if they lose to Germany because of goal differential which is only 2 at this point. Anything can happen when these 4 teams meet.

Predictions: Germany and US.

Group H: Belgium is through to the next round. Russia plays Algeria and must win to advance. This seems like the most likely scenario. If South Korea beats Belgium by a larger margin, they would advance instead of Russia. Algeria could draw against Russia and advance, assuming that So Korea loses. A lot of possibilities here. Hard to believe that Algeria can finish second.

Predictions: Belgium and Russia

Who plays who if my predictions are correct.

Brazil vs Chile
Columbia vs Uruguay
Netherlands vs Mexico
Costa Rica vs Ivory Coast
France vs Nigeria
Germany vs Russia
Argentina vs Switzerland
Belgium vs USA

Just a hunch, but I'll pick Argentina to win the cup. European teams don't do well in South America.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My round of 16 is this:

Brazil VS Holland
Croatia VS Chile
Columbia VS Italy
Ivory Coast vs Costa Rica
France VS Nigeria
Switzerland VS Argentina
Germany VS Algeria
Belgium VS USA

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything but Uruguay advancing over Italy. I have no clue why you think Italy will play for the draw. They would be stupid to do that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Mexico will play for a draw tody also.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything but Uruguay advancing over Italy. I have no clue why you think Italy will play for the draw. They would be stupid to do that.

Italy advances on goal differential if they draw.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a hunch, but I'll pick Argentina to win the cup. European teams don't do well in South America.

I live in Argentina... unless they step up their game I do not see it happening. They looked much better in South American qualifying. The offense is their strength, but has not been seen as such thus far. Kuhn is invisible (maybe because his family is squabbling with Maradona´s) and DiMaria has only flashed a few times on the left... nothing like his qualification/Real Madrid play.

Defense has looked a bit suspect as everyone thought prior to tourney.

If Argentina does win it all.. Messi will most likely have had unbelievable World Cup, that is probably what it would take and I would be happy with that as Newells fan here in Rosario.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Argentina... unless they step up their game I do not see it happening. They looked much better in South American qualifying. The offense is their strength, but has not been seen as such thus far. Kuhn is invisible (maybe because his family is squabbling with Maradona´s) and DiMaria has only flashed a few times on the left... nothing like his qualification/Real Madrid play.

If Argentina does win it all.. Messi will most likely have had unbelievable World Cup, that is probably what it would take and I would be happy with that as Newells fan here in Rosario.

Nobody is really looking fantastic, but I think the Netherlands must be considered to have played the best so far. That said, I think a South American country will win.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id say France is the strongest after 2 games, The Dutch and Colombians right on their heels. That is not to say there are not a half dozen other threats to win it all- most notably Argentina and Brazil.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is really looking fantastic, but I think the Netherlands must be considered to have played the best so far. That said, I think a South American country will win.

Dutch really impressed vs Chile... I could see them making final.

May be in best interest for USA to finish 2nd in group... appears the other side could be loaded if Costa Rica holds on to #1 seed. Could be Brazil, Chile, Uruguay/Italy winner, Colombia, Germany and France all on other half of bracket.

If USA finishes 2nd.. could have Belgium and Argentina on their half and both look beatable. Holland would be the semi-final game potentially.

Just want USA to get through however.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you Argentinian? just curious.

Argentina... I'm not surprised by their shaky play but not against the likes of Bosnia n Iran... that's worse IMO. Romero actually has been their best player(yeah better than Messi) IMO.

Di Maria is disappointing me though.. after a strong finish with Real I expected better form from him...

I said it beforehand, Argentina were given gold in their group as well as their "side" of the bracket should they finish first. easy road and I mean easy road.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice predictions, I could see the upset over Brazil

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Italy advances on goal differential if they draw.

That doesn't mean they'll play for a draw. A country as good as Italy will play their style every game. Their style is very conservative anyway, but they are very good at getting goals as well. They don't look like they are playing for the tie at all right now, and I think it would be very stupid for them to do so. Especially playing against a team that has so much attacking talent like Uruguay.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that marchisio got a red, Italy might try to go for a draw.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you were right about Italy. I hope Suarez gets banned for biting someone again. Thats obnoxious and really deserves a suspension.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you Argentinian? just curious.

Argentina... I'm not surprised by their shaky play but not against the likes of Bosnia n Iran... that's worse IMO. Romero actually has been their best player(yeah better than Messi) IMO.

Di Maria is disappointing me though.. after a strong finish with Real I expected better form from him...

I said it beforehand, Argentina were given gold in their group as well as their "side" of the bracket should they finish first. easy road and I mean easy road.

Nope... American that moved to Argentina 7 years ago.

Argentina has easier path to semifinals, but they just do not look that good right now.

Yes... DiMaria is disappointing.... he is also from Rosario... but from Rosario Central team. There is huge rivalry in this city (about the size of Milwaukee) between Newells and Central. Central fans want Messi to fail in the World Cup.. even if it means Argentina does not win World Cup.

Messi and Maxi Rodriguez are from Newells on WC team and DiMaria and Lavezzi are Central. Mascherano is also from Rosario.. but with very small club team. This city turns out a lot of high level soccer players.

Urruti who plays for Portland Timbers is ex Newells player and came up through Newells academy. Next Newells player to watch that is only 17 is Ponce... if he continues developing, he will be on next WC team for Argentina.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brazil vs Chile
Columbia vs Uruguay
Netherlands vs Mexico
Costa Rica vs Ivory Coast
France vs Nigeria
Germany vs Russia
Argentina vs Switzerland
Belgium vs USA

So far so good with your predictions...

Also ensures at least 1 South American semi-finalist... Brazil/Chile and Columbia/Uruguay are all in same bracket.

Personally would like to see Chile come through the group... Jorge Sampaoli their coach is ex-Newells player and disciple of Bielsa who coached Chile in last WC and is also one of the more famous ex-Newells players/coaches.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good with your predictions...

Also ensures at least 1 South American semi-finalist... Brazil/Chile and Columbia/Uruguay are all in same bracket.

Personally would like to see Chile come through the group... Jorge Sampaoli their coach is ex-Newells player and disciple of Bielsa who coached Chile in last WC and is also one of the more famous ex-Newells players/coaches.

Greece beat the Ivory Coast. Costa Rica should be able to beat them, but who knows.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greece is always a tough team. Not a whole lot of talent but they usually have some size and are defensively discipline. Plus, opponent are fascinated by all the 4 and 5 syllable names on the back of their jerseys.