• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 16 worst 2016 picks

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing my point maybe...I'm not saying Jones was equal to etc...in terms of rankings. What I am saying is ATL had a bigger void at SS and felt Neal could fill it better than Lee...And...Jones could filled the weak side LB role about as well as Lee for what they need the player to do in their scheme.

Quinn noted that in their scheme SS is one of the most important positions on the DEF...they released a pretty good SS in William Moore b/c he couldn't stay on the field.

Most of us that saw the team on a regular basis felt they needed a strong side DE/pass rusher moreso...I would've taken Lawson, seemed to be a great match for the DEF....shows how much I really know, which is not much.
Oh I know, that's why I mentioned at the end that safety was a bigger concern for them than LB, which explains them reaching for Neal as opposed to grabbing Lee. They wanted their Kam Chancellor and with Karl Joseph gone, Neal was the next best option and would've likely been gone by the time they picked in the 2nd round. It makes sense from that standpoint, but I think both picks were reaches in terms of draft value.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know, that's why I mentioned at the end that safety was a bigger concern for them than LB, which explains them reaching for Neal as opposed to grabbing Lee. They wanted their Kam Chancellor and with Karl Joseph gone, Neal was the next best option and would've likely been gone by the time they picked in the 2nd round. It makes sense from that standpoint, but I think both picks were reaches in terms of draft value.

idk if Joesph was ever on their radar, but you've summed it up perfectly.

One side note...Quinn recruited Neal while he was at FL and left for the pros before he could coach him there, but apparently kept some tabs on him.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk if Joesph was ever on their radar, but you've summed it up perfectly.

One side note...Quinn recruited Neal while he was at FL and left for the pros before he could coach him there, but apparently kept some tabs on him.
That makes some sense, that level of familiarity. I assumed Joseph would've been on their radar since he had become widely considered the top S prospect, and he's interchangeable between SS and FS. He also packs a hell of a punch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all of the Steelers draft picks are going to be seen as bad picks when you look at it from a production standpoint. They are all projects because they weren't going to be able to fill the needs they have with day 1 starters. And they didn't need to. Almost all of the secondary prospects in the draft were raw talents. Ramsey & Joseph are arguably the only 2 that are day 1 starters. So I had no problems taking Burns at 25 because he was probably the next best CB on their draft board after WJ3 was taken. Yes it was a reach, but it fills arguably their greatest need.

I'll trust the Steelers because they have been one of the best drafting teams for the past 20+ years. They know a lot more about what they need than some guy looking at college production stats.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes some sense, that level of familiarity. I assumed Joseph would've been on their radar since he had become widely considered the top S prospect, and he's interchangeable between SS and FS. He also packs a hell of a punch.

What's so strange about these drafts...early on and right up to the maybe a week before the draft...not many S had 1st rd grades supposedly...supply and demand can force your hand sometimes.

Joesph was very high on the Steelers board...possibly was #1.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all of the Steelers draft picks are going to be seen as bad picks when you look at it from a production standpoint. They are all projects because they weren't going to be able to fill the needs they have with day 1 starters. And they didn't need to. Almost all of the secondary prospects in the draft were raw talents. Ramsey & Joseph are arguably the only 2 that are day 1 starters. So I had no problems taking Burns at 25 because he was probably the next best CB on their draft board after WJ3 was taken. Yes it was a reach, but it fills arguably their greatest need.

I'll trust the Steelers because they have been one of the best drafting teams for the past 20+ years. They know a lot more about what they need than some guy looking at college production stats.

My thoughts as well.

I'd been saying for 2 months...BPA might a DL...well at 25, Nkemdiche or Butler were BPA.

Not saying they wouldn't be of any use, but reaching for Burns made sense.

I'm not sure even Joesph beats Golden out this year...next yr, most likely yes.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's so strange about these drafts...early on and right up to the maybe a week before the draft...not many S had 1st rd grades supposedly...supply and demand can force your hand sometimes.

Joesph was very high on the Steelers board...possibly was #1.
Yeah that's the one thing you can always rely on, big boards changing right up to the draft. I can see why they did, he's a hell of a prospect as long as he's healthy. He has a lot of Earl Thomas to his game. Even though it seemed a bit early, Oakland may have one hell of a gem there.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure who this Renner fella is, but my only response is will he revisit this when it really carries some weight...say like in 2 seasons...right now it doesn't mean shit imo.

Yah, I understand they need to "grade teams" since these reporters create their own "big boards" but come on, some of the things they say is total BS...

They have no idea if a player is going to succeed or shit the bed, now I really wish Hackenberg cuts this article out and sticks it up the writer's ass!

And not to defend the Hawks, but for Christ sake's they have the best OL coach that turn anyone into a frickn blocker!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ifaldi was a good pick for Seattle. As to Neal, yeah he was a huge reach for Atlanta.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's the one thing you can always rely on, big boards changing right up to the draft. I can see why they did, he's a hell of a prospect as long as he's healthy. He has a lot of Earl Thomas to his game. Even though it seemed a bit early, Oakland may have one hell of a gem there.
For some reason I keep thinking Bob Sanders when I see him.

I thought he was a late 1st-early 2nd round guy until I actually watched his highlight film. He is likely the best safety in the class even if they move Ramsey to S. (Ramsey as a CB? Who knows)

I thought the biggest value points in the draft were going to be DT, S and WR in rd2

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought he was a late 1st-early 2nd round guy until I actually watched his highlight film. He is likely the best safety in the class even if they move Ramsey to S. (Ramsey as a CB? Who knows)

I thought the biggest value points in the draft were going to be DT, S and WR in rd2
Definitely agree with you here. This was the exact reason I love what New Orleans did in the draft. All three of their first picks were absolute steals at these positions, two of them in the mid- to late- 2nd.

Bob Sanders is actually a pretty fair comparison, given their statures. Sanders was a little cannonball, but unfortunately another similarity is injuries. That's what knocked Bob out of the league prematurely. Hopefully Joseph can avoid that himself.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, I understand they need to "grade teams" since these reporters create their own "big boards" but come on, some of the things they say is total BS...

They have no idea if a player is going to succeed or shit the bed, now I really wish Hackenberg cuts this article out and sticks it up the writer's ass!

And not to defend the Hawks, but for Christ sake's they have the best OL coach that turn anyone into a frickn blocker!

I've said before...I won't knock another mans "legal" hustle...I know they're just doing a job that most of us would love to have (depends on the pay I guess ). But, if you're going to make such a list a week after the draft...at least tell who you would've taken instead in said draft slot.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't Sanders like 5'8"? Little beast if I'm thinking about the right player.

I've highlighted a handful of guys from our mock since I still had the XL sheet just to see how they do this yr...Joesph is one of them.

Krispy Treat

3-6 Latvia
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the way the Jets reached for Hackenberg in the 2nd. They could've easily got him in the 4th or 5th in my opinion. But I'm not really surprised. He seems so Jet-esque. If that makes any sense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the list says "worst"...that changes the viewpoint a lot imo....there's no way to know that today so it's really a journalist play on a headline...again, to draw your attention.

PIT...they came into this draft needing to upgrade the talent @ CB and @ S...they're not expecting a starter this yr...so they aimed for the highest athletic potential...they did the same thing LY with Dupree...after getting burnt by falling in love with game tape on marginal athletic talent...I like this move...Tomlin refers to these draft picks as "clay".

WJ3 nor Burns was likely to start for this team in '16...once WJ3 rolled off...Burns had to be the next best CB on their board...whether he pans out or not is up to him and the coaches working with him at this point...in hindsight, the pick made sense to me over the best available (Nkemdiche) on the board.

Neal...clearly they reached, and they pretty much admitted that saying that considered trading back. I hear you on the missed tackles, but I assume that saw the same missed tackles and it didn't deter them. Now, the board did have some viable options that were needs so I understand why this pick is taking the heat it has locally and nationally...but "worst"...no, they needed a S and got one of the best in this class for what they want him to do...worst imo is needing a S, but taking a WR, or like many have said, trading up to take a kicker.
Like I said PFF is solely based on the tape. They do not account for athletic upside. I'm not saying Burns doesn't make sense on a needs basis. More towards he is a major project for a 1st round pick. We did the same with our pick

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said PFF is solely based on the tape. They do not account for athletic upside. I'm not saying Burns doesn't make sense on a needs basis. More towards he is a major project for a 1st round pick. We did the same with our pick

Again...I'm still fixated on "worst" CD and I get they're based on production. I'm giving you project...major...if he's not starting by '17...I can agree to major then...they seem to like what they have, but then again what team doesn't a week after shopping...right.

Off topic but been meaning to ask you how the golf team is doing out there? Anybody breaking 40 yet?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...I'm still fixated on "worst" CD and I get they're based on production. I'm giving you project...major...if he's not starting by '17...I can agree to major then...they seem to like what they have, but then again what team doesn't a week after shopping...right.

Off topic but been meaning to ask you how the golf team is doing out there? Anybody breaking 40 yet?
We've got three golfers breaking 40 finally. Right now for our division we are ranked 2nd in the state. So as long as our guys don't lose it completely we stand a very good chance of fighting for the State title. Got two of them that are right on the edge of shooting under 80 for 18 that I have been working a lot with. Hoping by State we have 5 on the team that should shoot in the 70's. Might be wishful thinking it we are close.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it's difficult to grade anything but the strategy behind the pick because we just don't know if these guys will be good or not at the next level. Slamming Seattle drafting a O-lineman when that's clearly the weakest spot on the team doesn't make tons of sense, especially after they traded down 5 spots to get Ifedi + a 3rd rounder. Referring to some pass blocking ranking is at least something, but that's no exact science. Sweezey graded out bad too last year and just got $6M/yr as a free agent on another NFL team.

The TE who can block (again drafted by a team with a weaker OL) is also one of the worst 16 picks? I certainly don't expect much from the guy as a rookie, but Luke Willson is a FA after this year so he could end up being a contributor later on.

Interesting that Seattle got an A for their draft by NFL.com and a pretty high grade from some other people too (Kiper included, I believe) with 2 of 16 worst picks. Could be I guess....one man's opinion is all.

If your defense for the Vannett pick is that he could replace Willson, who was a 5th rounder, you can see the value issue. I personally think he is better than that, and would've liked him for the Rams had he slipped to the 4th. Of course his PFF grade will be low, as his college team didn't use him much in the passing game. He will be a better pro player than he was a college player IMO.

I'm just glad to see the Rams escape this list, as they typically have one boner reach pick each draft. They did well with their limited resources this year IMO.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny but Renner fails to mention that Vannett dropped 2 out of the 40+ catchable passes thrown his way. Or that he was considered one of the best blocking TEs in the draft.

Or that the Seahawks have lacked a real blocking TE since Zach Miller was on the roster and actually semi healthy which was years ago.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got three golfers breaking 40 finally. Right now for our division we are ranked 2nd in the state. So as long as our guys don't lose it completely we stand a very good chance of fighting for the State title. Got two of them that are right on the edge of shooting under 80 for 18 that I have been working a lot with. Hoping by State we have 5 on the team that should shoot in the 70's. Might be wishful thinking it we are close.

That's pretty good...congrats on the 3...I'm sure you're proud of them and good luck the rest of the way...sounds like some of your players could get some college interest...wish I had started that early...career low is 77 which I just matched last week, but it's tough playing once a week.