• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official World Cup Thread

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thought he was faking the injury lol.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, Neymar's out the rest of the WC with a fractured vertebrae. By far Brazil's best offensive weapon. And to make it worse Thiago Silva (one of the best CBs in the world) is also out for them with a double yellow.

HUGE blows for the home team.

I thought there was a yellow card amnesty after the quarters......meaning everyone gets reset.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know my soccer as I've proven again and again in this thread, but Robben on the Netherlands looks way better than Neymar

@Clyde

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know my soccer as I've proven again and again in this thread, but Robben on the Netherlands looks way better than Neymar

@Clyde

At this point he probably is (Neymar being so young), but they're different types of forwards. Robben's biggest problem has always been staying healthy, or he'd be up there with the Messis and Ronaldos of the soccer world.

Memphis Depay for Netherlands is also really intriguing young guy. He needs to work on his dribbling a little but he has a cannon for a leg and can run for days.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer will never match NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB

Kudos to the US team for their effort, and I am happy for US soccer fans.

Its just that I don't get soccer at all.

US Team was 1-1-1, and advanced after a tie and a loss.
How does a team get into an elimination round, advancing while losing ?
WTF is that all about ?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WTF is that all about ?

The groups are based on a points system. You get 3 points for winning a game, 1 for drawing, and 0 for losing. The teams with the most two points in the group (four teams) advance. If there's a tie then it goes to goal differential.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

WTF is that all about ?

The best way I've been able to explain it is to think of the group stage as the "regular season" and the groups are divisions. The top 2 teams in each division advance to the knockout stage/playoffs (no wildcards). The US finished second in their division, therefore advanced to the playoffs.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The best way I've been able to explain it is to think of the group stage as the "regular season" and the groups are divisions. The top 2 teams in each division advance to the knockout stage/playoffs (no wildcards). The US finished second in their division, therefore advanced to the playoffs.

Think of it like when in football, an 8-8 team makes it to the post-season. :-)

I placed a bet on the Netherlands in Vegas. 3:1 odds with 4 teams remaining. Odds were as follows.
South American teams are way too favored, they are the sexier picks than the two remaining Euro teams.
And the South American teams have injuries.

Argentina 8:5
Brazil: 8:5
Germany: 13:5
Netherlands: 3:1

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noob question... I know the group play in wold cup can end in a tie...but can the semifinal rounds end in a tie? Like today Brazil vs Germany....Can it end in a tie?
Thanks

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noob question... I know the group play in wold cup can end in a tie...but can the semifinal rounds end in a tie? Like today Brazil vs Germany....Can it end in a tie?
Thanks

Nope, can't have a tie.

Think of this like the NFL season. The group stage is the regular season and can end in a tie. Now we're in the playoffs and there has to be a winner.

If it's tied at the end of regulation, then there is a 30-minute overtime period. If they are still tied, then we get penalty kicks.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-0!

Holy shit. There's not going to be a tie today.

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It was 1-0 Germany, then I went to talk to my co-worker for 15 minutes, I come back to my desk and it is 5-0! WTF happened!!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 1-0 Germany, then I went to talk to my co-worker for 15 minutes, I come back to my desk and it is 5-0! WTF happened!!

Just a complete collapse on all levels of the field. Especially on defense, where Brazil players did a TERRIBLE job of closing the space and let the Germans set up their attacks without any interference until it was too late.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoL, that was an entertaining 15 minutes.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks

When you get to the knockout stages (round of 16), the tie system no longer exists.

The only reason why they have ties is when you're in a group stage and the top 2 from each group passes based on how many points (wins or ties) were accumulated.

Btw, I picked Germany and Argentina as my final 2 with Germany winning the whole thing. Boom!

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a complete collapse on all levels of the field. Especially on defense, where Brazil players did a TERRIBLE job of closing the space and let the Germans set up their attacks without any interference until it was too late.

To be honest, Brasil's defense sucks to begin with. Their only ray of light is PSG's Thiago, and once he committed that dumb penalty and picked up a yellow in the prior game, you knew Brasil was going to get blown out.

Even if Neymar had played, they still would have lost, but not as bad as they did. Seriously, for anyone who follows club football here, just ask yourself, David Luiz is playing defense?

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always tell my friends or internet budz, until the USA gets talent in the midfield, they can only go so far.

They need that creative, ball possession, ball placement skill type of MF... anyone can produce a striker or winger, but look at the "contending" teams, and you'll see midfield being at top level.

Yup, but I'll add one more thing there Cal - they need central defenders as well - i.e. the Portugal game.

They have talent at striker and some young depth with talent on the wings at midfield, but Bradley doesn't cut it for me.