• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official World Cup Thread

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only gave them 1 added minute? What a giant crock of shit.

But Belgium really deserved the win with how many shots on goal they had.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only gave them 1 added minute? What a giant crock of shit.

But Belgium really deserved the win with how many shots on goal they had.

Yup. We just got outclassed on all levels really. Well, except for Tim Howard, but when he has to sit there and save 16+ shots then you know your defense is in deep shit.

Our mid field is terrible. Michael Bradley is completely clueless. If you watched him today you'd know why I said earlier that he's far the single most overrated American player of all time. Terrible accuracy on his passes, loses his balance to easily, no vision, very little technique, not athletic. Just doesn't do ANYTHING well.

We also need better holding mid-fielders. CMFs and AMFs that can hold possession and create offense. Heart will only take you so far. Just not nearly enough talent. The 2-1 final score today is much closer than it actually was on the field.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for Howard. Both Belgium goals were scored off of lack of hustle from USA defense. Not that I blame them entirely, they are tired defenders against a fresh legged striker who is pretty good.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the formation was 4-3-3. I'm not an expert or anything, but I think maybe that was the problem when Belgium had that many shots on us.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the formation was 4-3-3. I'm not an expert or anything, but I think maybe that was the problem when Belgium had that many shots on us.

It was more of a 4-5-1. Which is still a problem because of our lack of mid-field play and a threatening striker. Dempsey is a nice player but he's not a guy you can put on an island in front and will create goals for you.

At the end of the day we just need to get more technical and just more athletic. The system for development in the states isn't very strong and the talent pickings are slim compared to other sports. Which is a shame. Soccer shits on a boring, lazy sport like Baseball.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more of a 4-5-1. Which is still a problem because of our lack of mid-field play and a threatening striker. Dempsey is a nice player but he's not a guy you can put on an island in front and will create goals for you.

At the end of the day we just need to get more technical and just more athletic. The system for development in the states isn't very strong and the talent pickings are slim compared to other sports. Which is a shame. Soccer shits on a boring, lazy sport like Baseball.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yea, we were just outplayed. Probably shouldn't even have been that close if not for Howard. Oh well.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The women's WC is next year. I have to say, their tourney is way better than the men's.

aka "America pretends to care because the US women's national team has won..."

The 1999 Pan American Games

9 Algarve championships ('00; '03; '04; '05; '07; '08; '10; '11; '13)

6 CONCACAF championships ('91; '93; '04; '02; '06)

2 World Cups ('91 & '99)

4 Olympic golds ('96; '04; '08; '12)

(thanks, internet :high5: )

The public would not care about the US Women's soccer team if the team's history was less than complete dominance (Oh, and if Brandi Chastain hadn't taken off her shirt; and if Hope Solo wasn't hot).

Case in point: Softball. No one gives a shit about any form of softball, but America likes that the USA dominated women's softball so utterly and completely that the IOC took it out of the Olympics (and lest we forget that Jennie Finch is hot).

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted one more game.....just one.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love women's soccer.

th

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
aka "America pretends to care because the US women's national team has won..."

The 1999 Pan American Games

9 Algarve championships ('00; '03; '04; '05; '07; '08; '10; '11; '13)

6 CONCACAF championships ('91; '93; '04; '02; '06)

2 World Cups ('91 & '99)

4 Olympic golds ('96; '04; '08; '12)

(thanks, internet :high5: )

The public would not care about the US Women's soccer team if the team's history was less than complete dominance (Oh, and if Brandi Chastain hadn't taken off her shirt; and if Hope Solo wasn't hot).

Case in point: Softball. No one gives a shit about any form of softball, but America likes that the USA dominated women's softball so utterly and completely that the IOC took it out of the Olympics (and lest we forget that Jennie Finch is hot).

I was rooting for Japan in 2011. That final was one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever seen. Japan had no business even being in that game, I'm convinced some sort of divine power played a role in that game.

Then they have Marta, who's basically her own team. In men's soccer you can't dominate a game with one person, but Marta can do it herself.

Lastly, there's eye candy on the field, and that's always a plus.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting for Japan in 2011. That final was one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever seen. Japan had no business even being in that game, I'm convinced some sort of divine power played a role in that game.

Then they have Marta, who's basically her own team. In men's soccer you can't dominate a game with one person, but Marta can do it herself.

Lastly, there's eye candy on the field, and that's always a plus.

Guess you haven't been watching Messi and Neymar.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always tell my friends or internet budz, until the USA gets talent in the midfield, they can only go so far.

They need that creative, ball possession, ball placement skill type of MF... anyone can produce a striker or winger, but look at the "contending" teams, and you'll see midfield being at top level.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Would Landon Donovan have helped or further hindered team USA?

I don't think he would have had the legs to keep up with all the turnovers and misplayed passes/crosses that plagued the team.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't see how Donovan couldn't help as a late sub....

but I think Jurgen overestimated his midfield's ability to play at this level.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like what Yedlin brought to the table.

Part of me wonders if we should have had the youngsters out there getting more WC exposure this go around. We had zero chance of winning so why use more youth than we did to get experience?

Also, I hope we have a goalie in the pipeline.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, Neymar's out the rest of the WC with a fractured vertebrae. By far Brazil's best offensive weapon. And to make it worse Thiago Silva (one of the best CBs in the world) is also out for them with a double yellow.

HUGE blows for the home team.