• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mid Major Thread

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what happened there, they didnt even receive a pre-season vote. I know that happens every year, but they arent an under the radar team.

They didnt even get an AP vote till week 4, where they got exactly 1, then week 5 they cracked the top 25 at 19

Well, kind of like NC being a top ten preseason team, but look where they are know. Every year they miss a few.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In still not 100% on Dayton being a legit FF caliber team. I think theyre very good but id have them in my 2nd tier which this year includes about 15 teams. And even that is mostly based on 2 close OOC losses. I mean whats their best win? SMC? SLU? VT? Eye test tells me theyre good but im reserving judgement a little longer

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like C-USA is going to be another one team bid this year. Just hope that WKU can actually win the conference tournament this year instead of losing in the championship game for a 3rd year in a row. Losing Bassey hurt but luckily, they've still been winning without him.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego State only has 7 games left and it looks like they have a chance to go unbeaten?

If they lose any game before the NCAA tournament do they lose their 1 seed?

Does Gonzaga have to go unbeaten too?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iMHO if SDSU loses, they lose their 1 seed. Gonzaga may not because they're gonzaga. But both have abysmal SOS, zags is actually worse than SDSU. 147 for zags, 137 for SDSU
San Diego State only has 7 games left and it looks like they have a chance to go unbeaten?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iMHO if SDSU loses, they lose their 1 seed. Gonzaga may not because they're gonzaga. But both have abysmal SOS, zags is actually worse than SDSU. 147 for zags, 137 for SDSU

WCC may actually have three tourney teams this year, so it looks like Gonzaga could sustain a loss.

I think SDSU has to win out.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the weakness of cbb overall tells me that if SDSU and Gonzaga win the rest of their games this year that they should both be #1 seeds. Will the committee allow that? I hope so, if they both win out.

In the last few years it seems that the committee has not looked at conference affiliation as they used to. Parity has run amuck. Winning should count for something.

Also, what if Dayton wins out also. 3 #1 seeds from non-power conferences?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the weakness of cbb overall tells me that if SDSU and Gonzaga win the rest of their games this year that they should both be #1 seeds. Will the committee allow that? I hope so, if they both win out.

In the last few years it seems that the committee has not looked at conference affiliation as they used to. Parity has run amuck. Winning should count for something.

Also, what if Dayton wins out also. 3 #1 seeds from non-power conferences?

If Gonzaga wins out, a #1 seed for sure.

If the others win out, it will be close. Depends who comes out of the other conferences.

Dayton would possibly have the edge because they;d have more quality wins that SDSU, but doubt Dayton wins out. Highly doubt.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope we're going to beat them :heh:

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being serious it's very disappointing what happened to the MWC again

It looked promising as a multi-bid league Utah State and New Mexico picked up some good wins early on then New Mexico collapsed with players getting hurt or dropping off the team and Utah State self-destructed during a two week stretch to fall to a fringe bubble team

every year there's one good team and a bunch of hot garbage

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who has a shot to get in as an at large

Obviously

Dayton
Zags
SDSU

Who else?

AAC should get multiples

A10 probably will

UNI?
Utah St?
Yale?
Liberty?
ETSU?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who has a shot to get in as an at large

Obviously

Dayton
Zags
SDSU

Who else?

AAC should get multiples

A10 probably will

UNI?
Utah St?
Yale?
Liberty?
ETSU?

UNI might be able too. The rest of that group I don't think has much of a chance.

A10 looks good to get at least two, maybe 3. AAC looks like a 3 bid league. Although that's now in question IMO.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish mid-majors could get 2 teams in the tourney. In my opinion, the CAA, C-USA, Horizon, and Southern conferences deserve two teams in the tournament over some mediocre Oklahoma or Virginia teams.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish mid-majors could get 2 teams in the tourney. In my opinion, the CAA, C-USA, Horizon, and Southern conferences deserve two teams in the tournament over some mediocre Oklahoma or Virginia teams.

The CAA, C-USA and Horizon are awful leagues this year, none of those leagues are remotely close to getting an at large bid. The So Con might if ETSU loses in the league tournament.

I'd love to hear your rational as to why teams like Wright St or Northern Kentucky deserve an at large bid?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CAA, C-USA and Horizon are awful leagues this year, none of those leagues are remotely close to getting an at large bid. The So Con might if ETSU loses in the league tournament.

I'd love to hear your rational as to why teams like Wright St or Northern Kentucky deserve an at large bid?

Wright State is 21-5 this year, one of those losses was against a Kent State team that could win the MAC tournament. I predict they will win the Horizon, but if Northern Kentucky or any other team wins that tournament, I believe a possible 30 win Wright State team deserves to be in over a team like Oklahoma or Virginia who will struggle to get over 20 wins. Wright State is the 5th highest-scoring team in the country. Depending on how Hofstra and Delaware end the season, I'd put those two in the tournament. Also in the A-Sun, if Liberty doesn't win the tournament, they should be in as an at-large.

This is my thought process on the tournament and I know I'm in the minority but I usually am, if we're being honest. I'd much rather see teams in the tournament that actually did really good this year against their competition over teams that just get in because they lost more to much tougher competition. I see on Bracketology that Virginia, NC State and Oklahoma are on the bubble. Outside of a win against Florida State, what has Virginia, who is probably a 10 loss team, to get in the tournament? What has NC State done to even be considered to have a bubble that worth busting? Their best win is probably against that Virginia team. Outside of a win against West Virginia, what has Oklahoma, who I'm guaranteeing will be at least a 12 loss team, done to get into the tournament over, for example, a Wright State team that will probably have 30 wins on the season and OU will be lucky if they get 20 wins.

I get that this is how college sports works, but I think it's BS. Let's not punish a 30 win team because they play less quality competition than a 20 win power 5 team that also has 10+ losses. Let's actually reward a successful season by a really good team. Liberty (23-3), Wright State (21-5), Northern Iowa (22-3), Eastern Tennessee State (22-4), Furman (21-5) and Stephen F. Austin (22-3) all deserve to be in the NCAA tournament more than Virginia, Oklahoma, NC State and Florida who will more likely than not have 10+ losses and barely have 20 wins on the season.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright State is 21-5 this year, one of those losses was against a Kent State team that could win the MAC tournament. I predict they will win the Horizon, but if Northern Kentucky or any other team wins that tournament, I believe a possible 30 win Wright State team deserves to be in over a team like Oklahoma or Virginia who will struggle to get over 20 wins. Wright State is the 5th highest-scoring team in the country. Depending on how Hofstra and Delaware end the season, I'd put those two in the tournament. Also in the A-Sun, if Liberty doesn't win the tournament, they should be in as an at-large.

This is my thought process on the tournament and I know I'm in the minority but I usually am, if we're being honest. I'd much rather see teams in the tournament that actually did really good this year against their competition over teams that just get in because they lost more to much tougher competition. I see on Bracketology that Virginia, NC State and Oklahoma are on the bubble. Outside of a win against Florida State, what has Virginia, who is probably a 10 loss team, to get in the tournament? What has NC State done to even be considered to have a bubble that worth busting? Their best win is probably against that Virginia team. Outside of a win against West Virginia, what has Oklahoma, who I'm guaranteeing will be at least a 12 loss team, done to get into the tournament over, for example, a Wright State team that will probably have 30 wins on the season and OU will be lucky if they get 20 wins.

I get that this is how college sports works, but I think it's BS. Let's not punish a 30 win team because they play less quality competition than a 20 win power 5 team that also has 10+ losses. Let's actually reward a successful season by a really good team. Liberty (23-3), Wright State (21-5), Northern Iowa (22-3), Eastern Tennessee State (22-4), Furman (21-5) and Stephen F. Austin (22-3) all deserve to be in the NCAA tournament more than Virginia, Oklahoma, NC State and Florida who will more likely than not have 10+ losses and barely have 20 wins on the season.

Dude Wright State isn't any good. If they were any good they'd be undefeated. First they are 19-5 against D1, which are the only games the NCAA counts. Second they haven't played ONE single game against Q1 competition, and they are 1-5 against Q3 competition. We shit on power league teams for losing Q3 games, and you think someone is deserving with a 1-5 record in those games? That's awful. Wright State also played the 323rd ranked Non Conf schedule. So, if they get to 25 wins, yes they should be punished for playing an absolute shit OOC schedule. Also, it's impossible for them to get to 30 wins. The most they could get with losing in their conference tournament would be 26. Wright State would probably have 4/5 wins if they played Oklahoma's schedule.

Hofstra isn't any good either. Remember how everyone was shitting on Kentucky because they lost to Evansville, which is a Q4 game, Hofstra has lost FOUR times as many as that. They also haven't played a Q1 game and they also scheduled like shit in the OOC. They don't deserve shit, and I've always been a huge proponent on getting mid majors into the tournament. I loved that Belmont got in last year, but they challenged themselves OOC.

Delaware has SIX combined Q3/Q4 losses, and guess what they did OOC... scheduled like shit. They don't deserve anything either.

I would agree about teams like Northern Iowa, ETSU, SFA and Furman because they have actually beaten somebody with a pulse this season. But those other teams deserve nothing. They aren't good and scheduled like shit.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright State is a sub-100 team

It would be horrible if UVa was left out in favor of them.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright State is a sub-100 team

It would be horrible if UVa was left out in favor of them.

Virginia will probably be 23-10 on the season at best. At worst, Wright State will probably be 29-6. 6 more wins, 4 fewer losses.
Virginia is 457th in the country in points per game. Wright State is tied for 5th.
Virginia is 42nd in RPI while Wright State is 150th. I get that, believe me, I do. And I get how important that is to the tournament selection committee. I don't think that is deserving of a tournament spot over Wright State. Neither does NC State or Oklahoma or Florida. Sorry, but I hate the fact that P5 teams with double-digit losses get consideration over teams that won't even come close to double-digit losses. If Wright State doesn't win the Horizon Tournament, I believe they should be in as an At-Large over Virginia. I know the committee won't put Wright State in if they don't win the tournament, because that's how college basketball works, unfortunately.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude Wright State isn't any good. If they were any good they'd be undefeated. First they are 19-5 against D1, which are the only games the NCAA counts. Second they haven't played ONE single game against Q1 competition, and they are 1-5 against Q3 competition. We shit on power league teams for losing Q3 games, and you think someone is deserving with a 1-5 record in those games? That's awful. Wright State also played the 323rd ranked Non Conf schedule. So, if they get to 25 wins, yes they should be punished for playing an absolute shit OOC schedule. Also, it's impossible for them to get to 30 wins. The most they could get with losing in their conference tournament would be 26. Wright State would probably have 4/5 wins if they played Oklahoma's schedule.

Hofstra isn't any good either. Remember how everyone was shitting on Kentucky because they lost to Evansville, which is a Q4 game, Hofstra has lost FOUR times as many as that. They also haven't played a Q1 game and they also scheduled like shit in the OOC. They don't deserve shit, and I've always been a huge proponent on getting mid majors into the tournament. I loved that Belmont got in last year, but they challenged themselves OOC.

Delaware has SIX combined Q3/Q4 losses, and guess what they did OOC... scheduled like shit. They don't deserve anything either.

I would agree about teams like Northern Iowa, ETSU, SFA and Furman because they have actually beaten somebody with a pulse this season. But those other teams deserve nothing. They aren't good and scheduled like shit.

I don't know how Stephen F Austin isn't getting more credibility, they won AT Duke one of the most impressive wins of the year. Their losses are to Rutgers who's solidly in the tournament, Alabama who's on the bubble and they had one bad loss to Texas A&M something, one bad loss shouldn't outweigh that win. If SFA losses another before their conference tournament their argument might go away.

Northern Iowa has a lot of good wins, ETSU crushed LSU at LSU, it also sucks that Furman is not in the conversation because of an overtime loss to Auburn. The southern conference should be a multi-bid league

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia will probably be 23-10 on the season at best. At worst, Wright State will probably be 29-6. 6 more wins, 4 fewer losses.
Virginia is 457th in the country in points per game. Wright State is tied for 5th.
Virginia is 42nd in RPI while Wright State is 150th. I get that, believe me, I do. And I get how important that is to the tournament selection committee. I don't think that is deserving of a tournament spot over Wright State. Neither does NC State or Oklahoma or Florida. Sorry, but I hate the fact that P5 teams with double-digit losses get consideration over teams that won't even come close to double-digit losses. If Wright State doesn't win the Horizon Tournament, I believe they should be in as an At-Large over Virginia. I know the committee won't put Wright State in if they don't win the tournament, because that's how college basketball works, unfortunately.

They won't put Wright State in because they will have no good wins and a bunch of bad losses. And just in general, they aren't any good. You want a team that has lost to Kent St, LaSalle, Indiana State, UIC and Green Bay to get an at large? It's absurd man.