• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official Injury Thread

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Understand the sentiment, snowman. But careful - if the precedent is reasons you miss the playoffs you may be shelling out for some season tickets yourself for the last 8 or so years...

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes.

Get well, David.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Understand the sentiment, snowman. But careful - if the precedent is reasons you miss the playoffs you may be shelling out for some season tickets yourself for the last 8 or so years...

Good luck getting fans at the Coliseum now. :whistle:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And just think if Tavares didn't get hurt and scored the game winning gold medal goal how much promotion Snow would use of that to get buts in the seats at the Coliseum.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit along the boards in yesterday's game. Didn't look real terrible when it happened.

First glance I was surprised at how much damage occurred, but it looks like it was the left leg, not the one pinched against the boards. Perfect mechanism for MCL/medial damage. Textbook valgus force. Ouch. Just sucks.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could have been worse. At least it's not his ACL. Hopefully he heals quickly & will be ready for next season. We'll just have to wait & see. Each individual heals at a different pace.

Not that it's reason to dance and cheer, but this isn't as bad as the potential was. The meniscus is the tricky part (likely that the MCL took off a piece with it once it tore), but a simple scope to clean it/repair it, and since they're in there already they'll clean up the MCL too. But a few months is better than 7.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with most on Snow. IOC/IIHF owe him nothing. He has every right to be ticked, but it's on the NHL/PA, not the other bodies.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how the cap floor works?

With Tavares done for the season, that's $5.5M off the cap (right?) and if they move Vanek that's another $5.75M. Their cap payroll is just shy of $52M right now, and if you take off $11M they're under the cap floor on an annualized basis.

Does it not matter though since they would likely have paid out over $44M in actual salary?

Nope. If a player gets injured and is place on LTIR, their cap hit stays, but the team is allowed to exceed the cap by an amount equivalent to their cap space. There's some finer details in there about how exactly cap space accrues and is spent (it's calculated daily, not just at the beginning/end of the year, which has some funny effects on how you can replace players), but that's all related to the ceiling. For the floor injuries have zero impact.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season was over for the Isles anyway. I'm ticked off about it just like Snow is, but if he had done his job for the last 7 years the Islanders would be a better team. If Snow were the GM of any other team he would have been fired long ago. For some reason the former goalie can't draft one who's got any potential. Trading for one hasn't happened. Although word was he tried to get Bernier for Niederreiter. There was no way the Kings were going to take on Nino's contract. He tends to go for older goalies like Roloson & Nabokov. Word is he even wants to bring Nabby back next year.

Garth has a chance to redeem himself with some trades before March 5th. I have very little faith he will do so.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. If a player gets injured and is place on LTIR, their cap hit stays, but the team is allowed to exceed the cap by an amount equivalent to their cap space. There's some finer details in there about how exactly cap space accrues and is spent (it's calculated daily, not just at the beginning/end of the year, which has some funny effects on how you can replace players), but that's all related to the ceiling. For the floor injuries have zero impact.

Thanks for the information. Otherwise I was expecting a Tim Thomas to the Isles deal.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snow just alerted the entire nhlpa with his rant that money is more important than the player by asking if anyone is going to pay them or the season toilet holders (auto correct changed ticket to toilet so I'm leaving it since it's funny) it shows he sees the players only as a $ not a person. Tavares you know as well as I had 2 dreams as a hockey player Stanley cup and gold medal the gold can still be his even injured snow is just worried for money

Good luck getting ufas snow

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snow just alerted the entire nhlpa with his rant that money is more important than the player by asking if anyone is going to pay them or the season toilet holders (auto correct changed ticket to toilet so I'm leaving it since it's funny) it shows he sees the players only as a $ not a person. Tavares you know as well as I had 2 dreams as a hockey player Stanley cup and gold medal the gold can still be his even injured snow is just worried for money

It's an event which generates interest for the sport, as well. Just because it doesn't directly put money in your pocket doesn't mean you don't benefit. What if the US wins gold and there's a big upswing in viewers for this year's playoffs? The Isles get revenue from the increased money share by the league, their fans get more people to discuss the game with, and the game gets more kids watching it and wanting to grow up to play or watch hockey, resulting in more talent and audience down the road.

Yes, Tavares got hurt, and yes, he's a really big part of your team, Snow. That's because you did such a shitty job building the rest of it, and you shouldn't hold that against us.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the usa-russia game at 6:30 am central time had the highest rating in nbcsn history. it beat out game 3 of bruins-blackhawks. the injury absolutely sucks but the Olympics are great for the nhl imo.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it really did. You can get injured in any game. I'm sure Tavares and the others were more than happy to accept that risk to play for their country in the Olympics. And on the flip side I'm sure Stamkos is pissed he injured himself in one of 82 regular season games in an Olympic year... now he has to wait 4 more years, at which point the NHL may have f$#%ed him out of his chance anyway.

Seriously, if Snow and other whiny GMs cared about the health of their players they would look to cut down on the 82 game schedule, not the 6 or maximum 7 games these guys play at the Olympics. But it's all about maximizing revenue game by game. As far as they care, what their players want is only worthwhile as a bargaining chip in NHLPA negotiations. I was really happy that guys like OV and Malkin were threatening to attend the Olympics regardless of any league agreements.

And as Vadered said, really shortsighted by them as well. How much interest do you think the 2010 game generated for hockey in the US? I think that pays his dividends for the league.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the US manages to beat Canada today, this is a huge step toward development of the sport. For some reason this year it feels different than in 2010. Maybe it's because I was in Indiana, I dunno. But this time around I'll be watching the game with 20+ people who are coming to love the sport. I've talked to multiple friends about the game, teaching them the intricacies of the sport, etc. Winning gold would do wonders. It reminds me a bit of women's soccer, albeit not to the same degree. It was a fringe sport to be played in the country, then Mia Hamm and her kickass group of ladies came along and beat China in the World Cup at the Rose Bowl. The sport exploded. Hockey in the US would benefit GREATLY from a gold medal, especially if it comes after beating Russia, and if it were to happen Canada and Sweden.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In related news: Paul Martin out for the rest of the Olympics with a hand injury. :( :( :( He was playing lights out too.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Auto correct helps a lot of my posts. Season toilet holders is good stuff. Way to go auto correct!

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In related news: Paul Martin out for the rest of the Olympics with a hand injury. :( :( :( He was playing lights out too.

Nah, he's just more aware of how good Crosby is... better to fake an injury and sit this one out than get publicly humiliated by your captain.

Orpik should really know better too, but he gets regularly embarrassed by NHL forwards so what difference does it make if Crosby does it?

(But seriously, hope Martin is okay...)