• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts Thread for a 2017 Flyers Stanley Cup

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the root of the problem the team has is a lack of talent. as a result, they play a fairly conservative offensive game to try not to expose the defense. compound that with the talent in the system is on defense and you can see why they play the way they do offensively. they try to gain the zone, set it up, get the dmen involved, cycle for a bit, and get point shots with traffic. and if you lose the puck, it's a 5 man shift to the defensive zone, rather than an odd man rush.

this could work great, if you have talent on the blueline to generate offense. which they don't really. Ghost and Provorov can, Streit is getting old and isn't as dynamic. Who knows what's going on with MDZ. And AMac and Gudas have one offensive weapon between them and it's Gudas' clapper from the red line. With Ghost struggling to adapt to the pressure he gets in year 2 compared to year 1, it leaves Provorv to try to generate that offense. So, aside from him, you're basically asking for luck to score goals and for consistent play to not expose the D. Problem is, they used up most of their luck for a 10 game win streak, and the D is still getting exposed because they turn the puck over too much.

however, all is not lost, because when Myers and Sanheim come up, Ghost starts to adapt better, and Provorov continues his stellar play, they do have the dynamics on the blueline for the offense to be generated from the point. add in Simmonds, and these days Schenn, being pretty good net front guys, plus Lindblom coming who is a fairly powerful guy who can win battles at the net, and you might have a pretty good recipe for consistent offensive production. On top of having more talent on defense that will hopefully turn the puck over less. i still think they need a dynamic scorer up front to help offset that and maybe score a couple goals on the rush, something they haven't been able to do since Carter left. That's what I wanted at the draft last year, and it's still what i want. I don't think you can rely on either scoring option solely (manufactured goals through the cycle, or scoring off the rush), you need both.

that being said, their reluctance as a team to get to the high scoring areas is so frustrating. it must be coach driven because every play shows reluctance to get there. and i disagree with that plan. high scoring areas are named for a reason. you have to get there with the puck, even if it means risking an offensive zone turnover sometimes.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random observations from the game last night:

As per Flyer rules, our entire roster looked like they were suffering from a bout of mono through a large portion of the first period, which directly led to the early deficit.

Nobody did anything until the fourth line stepped up and had a dominant shift.

We did show a lot of resiliency later on in the game and did appear to find our legs a bit.

Provorov, who just turned 20, continues to be a monster. He is so damn slick and whenever the puck comes to him, he knows exactly where, when and how to safely get the puck moving up ice. None of our other defensemen are even close to that good. He's also more than capable of taking the body and muscling a guy off the puck, then getting it out of harms way. There's a hell of a lot of potential for him offensively too. The sky is the limit overall.

Neuvy didn't need to stop many, but made some timely saves when called upon.

Weise probably should've had a goal or two if he could finish any sort of play whatsoever.

Voracek: Shoot the fucking puck sometimes...

Great shot by Read. I think he's been a very underrated defensive forward for us all season long, despite not scoring often since early on.

What the fuck were we doing midway through the third period and on that power play!?! Just about coughed up the lead, the momentum...everything.

Montreal gets away with so much fucking interference, but we mostly played through it and they tagged Shaw with a weak one in the second period to help on that front.

I think we can still play a lot better, but this is something to build off of. We locked it down defensively pretty well late. Getting the puck deep and eventually the empty net goal.

Last edited:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random observations from the game last night:

As per Flyer rules, our entire roster looked like they were suffering from a bout of mono through a large portion of the first period, which directly led to the early deficit.

Nobody did anything until the fourth line stepped up and had a dominant shift.

We did show a lot of resiliency later on in the game and did appear to find our legs a bit.

Provorov, who just turned 20, continues to be a monster. He is so damn slick and whenever the puck comes to him, he knows exactly where, when and how to safely get the puck moving up ice. None of our other defensemen are even close to that good. He's also more than capable of taking the body and muscling a guy off the puck, then getting it out of harms way. There's a hell of a lot of potential for him offensively too. The sky is the limit overall.

Neuvy didn't need to stop many, but made some timely saves when called upon.

Weise probably should've had a goal or two if he could finish any sort of play whatsoever.

Voracek: Shoot the fucking puck sometimes...

Great shot by Read. I think he's been a very underrated defensive forward for us all season long, despite not scoring often since early on.

What the fuck were we doing midway through the third period and on that power play!?! Just about coughed up the lead, the momentum...everything.

Montreal gets away with so much fucking interference, but we mostly played through it and they tagged Shaw with a weak one in the second period to help on that front.

I think we can still play a lot better, but this is something to build off of. We locked it down defensively pretty well late. Getting the puck deep and eventually the empty net goal.

Spot on Dude......

With Provy, its sad that a time or two he passes the puck to the ideal spot and the guy he is passing it to has no friggin clue whats going on!!!

And the comment on Voracek....great guy, a beast, but I am so fuckin sick of watching him with his "Power Move" and usually gets made an ass of!!! It looks like figure skating with a hockey stick for shit sake. But you're right, just shoot the damn thing!!!!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the root of the problem the team has is a lack of talent. as a result, they play a fairly conservative offensive game to try not to expose the defense. compound that with the talent in the system is on defense and you can see why they play the way they do offensively. they try to gain the zone, set it up, get the dmen involved, cycle for a bit, and get point shots with traffic. and if you lose the puck, it's a 5 man shift to the defensive zone, rather than an odd man rush.

this could work great, if you have talent on the blueline to generate offense. which they don't really. Ghost and Provorov can, Streit is getting old and isn't as dynamic. Who knows what's going on with MDZ. And AMac and Gudas have one offensive weapon between them and it's Gudas' clapper from the red line. With Ghost struggling to adapt to the pressure he gets in year 2 compared to year 1, it leaves Provorv to try to generate that offense. So, aside from him, you're basically asking for luck to score goals and for consistent play to not expose the D. Problem is, they used up most of their luck for a 10 game win streak, and the D is still getting exposed because they turn the puck over too much.

however, all is not lost, because when Myers and Sanheim come up, Ghost starts to adapt better, and Provorov continues his stellar play, they do have the dynamics on the blueline for the offense to be generated from the point. add in Simmonds, and these days Schenn, being pretty good net front guys, plus Lindblom coming who is a fairly powerful guy who can win battles at the net, and you might have a pretty good recipe for consistent offensive production. On top of having more talent on defense that will hopefully turn the puck over less. i still think they need a dynamic scorer up front to help offset that and maybe score a couple goals on the rush, something they haven't been able to do since Carter left. That's what I wanted at the draft last year, and it's still what i want. I don't think you can rely on either scoring option solely (manufactured goals through the cycle, or scoring off the rush), you need both.

that being said, their reluctance as a team to get to the high scoring areas is so frustrating. it must be coach driven because every play shows reluctance to get there. and i disagree with that plan. high scoring areas are named for a reason. you have to get there with the puck, even if it means risking an offensive zone turnover sometimes.
Our defense is in the top 5 in points and was number 1 for most of the season.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Ghost DID bulk up a bit in the off-season, and one of the questions/concerns was how it would affect his speed. Well, maybe it has...

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but come on man G has played a huge roll in this teams success since he's been here. I believe he is probably a way better leader then we give him credit for, like Psych said in another post when the team is losing we'll blame everybody, the coach and captain are usually the first 2 to come under fire. I've heard over the years a lot of the younger players say he's been a good mentor. I think the mental breakdowns are still a coaching issue, you can only tell and player so much to boost their confidence and show them but it's a coaches job to make sure that player is learning. sorry for the long rant:D

Being a good mentor does not automatically make you a good leader. It's just one facet of leadership. Leadership involves mentoring, motivating, leading by example, constructive criticism and, sometimes, putting a foot up someones arse. A good leader uses all of those tools at the right times and in the right situations, and learns which motivational techniques work best for each individual as well as for the team as a whole. Is that Giroux? None of us will ever really know.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Ghost DID bulk up a bit in the off-season, and one of the questions/concerns was how it would affect his speed. Well, maybe it has...
He is definitely not as fast as he was last season.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Schenn.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imma gonna go with Raffl. You've got 8 goals and 3 assists, show us why you deserve to be on the 1st line?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rofl @ MacDonald flopping all over the ice and making mistakes while Provorov routinely saves his bacon and impresses with every little thing he does. Hard to believe these guys are a pairing...

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rofl @ MacDonald flopping all over the ice and making mistakes while Provorov routinely saves his bacon and impresses with every little thing he does. Hard to believe these guys are a pairing...

He's a constant shit show. Can't wait til he's gone.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And also, don't look now, but I'm pretty certain Neuvy wants the starting job and is making a serious push.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heres a post for you bitches, it aint happening, A king for life!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but you're asking Dale Weise to cover Kopitar in the 3 on 3? He shouldn't even be leaving the bench in OT.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players have come and gone, coaches have come and gone, but the Flyers still can't consistently get up for the lesser teams but seem to show up for the better teams. That's a leadership issue, and the one constant in that area since 2013-2014 has been Giroux as Captain.
They had the same issues when Richards was the captain so I'm not sure if this is on the captain. Different coaches too so it's baffling...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the only way for them to win is to focus on D as they can usually find a few goals...although no luck today. When the D is better they can take a few more chances in their style.