• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts Thread for a 2017 Flyers Stanley Cup

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We finally score three goals in a regulation game, only to give up six in the process...Lol

Not sure what to do with this team anymore. I believe in them, but at this stage, we're about all in agreement that they are currently in too much disarray to make any sort of playoff push.

Trade everything that's not nailed down and bring up the kids to replace them. They've had plenty of time on a good Ahl team to hone their skills.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow this fits Gostisbehere and the Flyers.....

upload_2017-2-20_5-33-54.jpeg

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was pretty good game for everyone last night. We got early goals on the PP which is very helpful to this team. Had a ton of shots and never sat back. That's the stuff of good teams win or lose.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really a fine line right now in the Nhl between best and worst. As bad as we've been lately, I think we are just one top line goal scoring left winger, a few minor tweaks in the bottom six, a couple of home grown defenders and a little confidence away from being a really strong team.

Whether that is next season or the following season, we have yet to see. It will be one or the other, I am fairly certain of that.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretically, it could even be this season yet if Hextall were to somehow trade for a top six forward, we get healthy, trade away a couple of defenders and bring up two from the minors. I don't think that's likely though. Our boys should be able to make the playoffs on their own merit. They did it last season without Provorov and he's been incredible for us this season. Rock solid defense and clearly has tremendous upside offensively.

Really difficult to believe that Ghost just had his first three point game in the Nhl last night. Serious flashes of his brilliance from the previous season in that one.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very long, but good article.

Basically, this is still a pretty young team. Read is 30 and PEB is 31. They are our oldest forwards and may both be on their way out soon too. Streit and Schultz are much older guys, but likely will be gone after this season, if not within the next couple weeks. If MacDonald is sent down or picked up in the expansion draft, Matt Read could be our only 30+ year old player to begin next season with G turning 30 next January.

And so, I think Hexy has to remain patient here, but if guys like Couturier, Schenn, Weise and Raffl don't return to their previous forms anytime in the next season, this is going to be a long, tough road. Why? Because these guys are signed to long term deals that don't expire for some time.

Yes, I'm going to be very disappointed (as probably a lot of us will) if we miss the playoffs this season, but the youth movement should be on the way next season. We'll be a lot tougher to play against if some of our younger players mature and improve at all.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Mase got injured in the January 31st game against Carolina. He has only played once since and he did not look right. If he's healthy and he's our starter, why has he sat for 7 of the last 8 games?

If we sign one of these two goalies, I hope it is Neuvy because we quite frankly just win more games when he is the starter, he will be way cheaper and he's proven to be clutch in the playoffs. If he gets hurt, Stolarz will probably be more than capable by that time to fill in.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very long, but good article.

Basically, this is still a pretty young team. Read is 30 and PEB is 31. They are our oldest forwards and may both be on their way out soon too. Streit and Schultz are much older guys, but likely will be gone after this season, if not within the next couple weeks. If MacDonald is sent down or picked up in the expansion draft, Matt Read could be our only 30+ year old player to begin next season with G turning 30 next January.

And so, I think Hexy has to remain patient here, but if guys like Couturier, Schenn, Weise and Raffl don't return to their previous forms anytime in the next season, this is going to be a long, tough road. Why? Because these guys are signed to long term deals that don't expire for some time.

Yes, I'm going to be very disappointed (as probably a lot of us will) if we miss the playoffs this season, but the youth movement should be on the way next season. We'll be a lot tougher to play against if some of our younger players mature and improve at all.

It will be a major disappointment, but we shouldn't of been in the playoffs last year.....And it makes it tough seeing what we should of seen from this team last year. What's more, it was said that no team has ever not made the playoffs in a season where they had a 10 game winning streak.

Just gotta keep believing Hextall knows what he's doing, and he believes in Hakstol and his system.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a major disappointment, but we shouldn't of been in the playoffs last year.....And it makes it tough seeing what we should of seen from this team last year. What's more, it was said that no team has ever not made the playoffs in a season where they had a 10 game winning streak.

Just gotta keep believing Hextall knows what he's doing, and he believes in Hakstol and his system.

Just gotta keep believing Hextall knows what he's doing, and he believes in

I was under the impression it was a "defence 1st" system.
And yet we sit 25th or 26th in defence(GAA).

They need to get back to offence,where defencemen can join the rush and pinch.They still need to keep tabs on their assignments,but this god damn system is not working.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression it was a "defence 1st" system.
And yet we sit 25th or 26th in defence(GAA).

They need to get back to offence,where defencemen can join the rush and pinch.They still need to keep tabs on their assignments,but this god damn system is not working.

Actually it works pretty good if we score first lol.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really a fine line right now in the Nhl between best and worst. As bad as we've been lately, I think we are just one top line goal scoring left winger, a few minor tweaks in the bottom six, a couple of home grown defenders and a little confidence away from being a really strong team.

Whether that is next season or the following season, we have yet to see. It will be one or the other, I am fairly certain of that.
This is all true and also we need bonafide number one center which is a glaring need. Unless Gee is hurt he has gotten really old really fast.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in WV this weekend and caught a Wheeling Nailers game and that was some exciting hockey. I saw goals hits up and down action i wish our boys would play like that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last season we were the hottest team going into the playoffs and played Washington way tougher than they would've liked. If that team from last year made advancements instead of going backwards we would all be happy fans today.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season we were the hottest team going into the playoffs and played Washington way tougher than they would've liked. If that team from last year made advancements instead of going backwards we would all be happy fans today.

That's why I think this team can be a lot better than we are right now...as is.

Who did we have last season that we don't still have that made us go on such a great run late?

Laughton, Gagner, White, Medvedev, L. Schenn, Umberger? I think we can all agree that none of these guys were the final piece that put us over the top.

Schenn had been traded and I think we'd take Konecny or Provorov over any of the others in a heartbeat.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think this team can be a lot better than we are right now...as is.

Who did we have last season that we don't still have that made us go on such a great run late?

Laughton, Gagner, White, Medvedev, L. Schenn, Umberger? I think we can all agree that none of these guys were the final piece that put us over the top.

Schenn had been traded and I think we'd take Konecny or Provorov over any of the others in a heartbeat.
The guys that we dont have from last year isn't the problem maybe only Gagner from your list above. The problem is the regression of the guys that we do have.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone in the world know this but Coots. If you move your feet and play with speed you contribute on the offensive side. He played well the other night because he was out there hustling his ass off and picked up an assists and a few meaningful shots. Now he goes into his yearly mode of playing well for a few weeks and everyone falls in love with him again and nobody remembers that he stunk for three quarters of the season every season.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys that we dont have from last year isn't the problem maybe only Gagner from your list above. The problem is the regression of the guys that we do have.

Yes, I am saying that younger guys like Couturier and Schenn can and will be better. It's just a matter of when. We know Giroux can be better. I seriously doubt that he's already slowing down after only what amounts to 8 full seasons in the league. This dude only just turned 29.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cause of the regression this year is easy to pinpoint: Gostisbehere. Last year he all but carried the team single-handed in the 2nd half of the season, and made the players around him look much better than they really were. This year he looks like a true mortal 2nd year defenseman.

We knew this was a distinct possibility, and discussed it in the off-season.