• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2018 Chicago White Sox Thread

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correias hr in game 6 was the only hr in history baseball to go out at that launch angle and exit velocity. You have to be crazy not to think the ball is juiced. How do home runs just suddenly skyrocket the second half of the 2015 season and continue to spike at a crazy rate since

Correa didn't hit a home run in Game 6...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do trust the science (much more than pitchers peeved about a HR spike and looking for an explanation).

I just don't think the impact is NEARLY as big as people make it out to be - I think the experiment confirms that (ball only has the capacity to fly up to 8.6 feet further). Wasn't there a reference to a study (following that sports science experiment) that also pointed out how this experiment was flawed - in that it failed to take into account that older balls will naturally be less "live" than newer balls?

A few things to keep in mind.

- Statcast has only been around since 2015. Major League Baseball's (MLB) Statcast is a high-speed, high-accuracy, automated tool developed to analyze player movements and athletic abilities.[1] Statcast was introduced to all thirty MLB stadiums in 2015.

People love to sensationalize. They love to say things like "That's the highest ever recorded exit velocity!"... We need to keep in mind. That this really only means "This is the highest ever recorded exit velocity since 2015!"... Which goes for the launch angle stat as well. We should also keep in mind the absurd short porch to left in that stadium. Those two things coupled together... You get a very misleading statement about that HR.

- The HR rate didn't just spike in 2015. It also spiked 17% in 2016 FROM 2015. Did they juice ball twice?

- Strikeouts are up... launch angles are the craze... pitcher velo is up... No one is bunting (more big swings)... Other statistical anomalies like wild pitches are out of control. (Most wild pitches since 1891 in 2016 and 2017). A lot of things have shifted recently. Not just HR's.

- The increase in HR's/K's is widely perceived as bad for baseball. As it hurts pace of play. I don't know if I see it as advantageous to the MLB to juice the balls.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was one freaking crazy game. Down 4-0 without so much as recording an out. I'm sure just about every one of us was saying "CUT SHIELDS NOW!!" But what a gutsy performance from that point forward. He may still end up sucking this year, maybe even his next start. But I give him credit for not getting down, but instead buckling down and pitching his heart out.

Suffice to say HRs were the glitzy story from the offensive side of the equation, but I was more impressed with their patience at the plate. 7 walks from a lineup not known for taking walks. And they were making solid contact all day. Moncada's stats will show a so-so 1-6 with two k's, but he smacked a couple to the warning tracking and ripped that double down the 3rd base line. Engel hopefully will continue showing that his ST numbers were not fluke. Not expecting big numbers but at least produce somewhat at the 9th spot. Good day all around.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sox league the majors in batting average, runs, rbi's, homeruns, total bases, slugging, ops .....................

just liked typing that. :)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sox league the majors in batting average, runs, rbi's, homeruns, total bases, slugging, ops .....................

Let's also add the Sox are alone in first place in the Central!! LOL, let's see how long that lasts!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matt Davidson is on pace for a 486 HR 810 RBI season :D

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First three days of the season = Three days all alone in 1st place

:D

Quality Start from Giolito. Clutch hitting from Moncada and Castillo. Davidson stays hot as well. Bullpen does the job.

:suds:

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
162-0 here we go!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Giolito was fairly shaky in his opening start, especially in that 1st inning, which could have ended much worse than it did. But considering it was his first start at the beginning of the season and that the cold may have factored into the inability to get his breaking stuff over consistently, he showed remarkable poise to keep us in the game thru 6 innings. I look forward to his next outing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit ironic that Lopez gave us the best start of the three so far and yet this game was the only loss.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carson got hosed yesterday by the scorekeeper. Those two runs charged to him in the 6th could have been easily been considered unearned. Or at most only one of them should. It can be argued that the first hit off of Engel's glove was legit, since that was difficult and almost directly over his head. The next hit to RF was difficult too, but Garcia had a bead on it and should have had that one, I was really surprised that it was scored a hit instead of an error.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yolmer and Davidson won't stop right now...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beginning to have a bad feeling about moncada.

By this logic - we should have been bouncing off of the walls when he homered and hit the clutch RBI double in games #1 and #2. People's expectations were rather absurd for Yoan. The Rhys Hoskins and Mike Trout's of the world (who come up and dominate) are very rare. Inconsistency is quite normal 200-300 AB's into a young career. Today was 6 plate appearances in what should be a 700 plate appearance season. We all saw the flashes last year.

Off the ledge...

Too many early season knee-jerk reactions every year.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By this logic - we should have been bouncing off of the walls when he homered and hit the clutch RBI double in games #1 and #2. People's expectations were rather absurd for Yoan. The Rhys Hoskins and Mike Trout's of the world (who come up and dominate) are very rare. Inconsistency is quite normal 200-300 AB's into a young career. Today was 6 plate appearances in what should be a 700 plate appearance season. We all saw the flashes last year.

Off the ledge...

Too many early season knee-jerk reactions every year.

perhaps all you say is true .... or perhaps he can't hit major league pitching. .220 in 280 at bats as the supposedly best prospect in baseball does not thrill me.
as i said, i have a bad feeling about him. hope i'm wrong.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perhaps all you say is true .... or perhaps he can't hit major league pitching. as i said, i have a bad feeling about him. hope i'm wrong.

Except nothing has happened which would indicate that he cannot hit major league pitching.

Moncada is slashing .227/.331/.400 (with a .730 OPS) up in the Major Leagues. Through 275 Plate Appearances.

Yolmer is slashing .243/.289/.369 (with a .658 OPS) up in the Major Leagues. Through 1240 Plate Appearances

It makes no sense that this fan-base can simultaneously fall in love with Yolmer - while they begin to worry about Yoan.

It's the definition of a knee-jerk reaction. He also won a game with a clutch RBI double this past week and homered. Goodness gracious people. Inconsistency is apart of this. The kid has flashed superstar potential. The ability could not be more obvious.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except nothing has happened which would indicate that he cannot hit major league pitching.

Moncada is slashing .227/.331/.400 (with a .730 OPS) up in the Major Leagues. Through 275 Plate Appearances.

Yolmer is slashing .243/.289/.369 (with a .658 OPS) up in the Major Leagues. Through 1240 Plate Appearances

It makes no sense that this fan-base can simultaneously fall in love with Yolmer - while they begin to worry about Yoan.

It's the definition of a knee-jerk reaction. He also won a game with a clutch RBI double this past week and homered. Goodness gracious people. Inconsistency is apart of this. The kid has flashed superstar potential. The ability could not be more obvious.

i fail to see the 'flash' of superstar potential that you apparently see. if he came up like a regular guy and was doing what he's doing i doubt he be up right now.
anyway, it doesn't really matter what we say or think. either he'll be ok or he'll be a bust. no need to call my knee a jerk! :P

by the way, yolmer has gold glove potential. yoan not so much. yolmer was jerked around most of his major league career, yoan is getting a solid shot. i don't think the two are comparable. and according to baseball ref. .. yoan is hitting .221 not .227!
.221/.324/.389 and a .713 ops so stop hedging. .... and yolmer's ops is .663 not .658.
you were low on every yolmer stats and high on every yoan stat. if you're going to play, play fair.

Last edited: