• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official: 10,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup! (.. eventually)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even at 100% full strength for both teams, I don't think the Pens want any part of us in the playoffs at any time. It's a beautiful thing.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant stand the NBC announcers calling the Wayne Simmonds goal where he swings around in front of the net the "JVR Move" How is it his move?? Wayne train has more goals with that move than JVR anyday.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Insider:

"Flyers emerging as dark horse contender"

There’s a belief that the Philadelphia Flyers would be among the last teams the Pittsburgh Penguins want to face in the first round (or any round) of the Eastern Conference playoffs. That theory was bolstered this weekend.

The Flyers swept a home-and-home with the Penguins, outscoring Pittsburgh 8-3 in the process. They’re currently in second place in the Metropolitan Division (and in a bit of a reality check, still 15 points behind the Penguins) and three points up on the Capitals, the next-closest nonplayoff team.

The Flyers kept their perspective in check following the wins.

“It’s two big victories for us, we realize that,” Steve Mason told reporters after the game. “We have to put it behind us and get ready for the next ones.”

Said Claude Giroux: “I think we have a lot of things to work on still. We can’t be satisfied where we are right now. We have to keep getting better. The teams we have to play coming up, they’re the best teams in the league. We’ve got to be ready to go.”

The impressive weekend poses a logical follow-up for our first Next Question: Have the Flyers emerged as an Eastern Conference dark horse under Craig Berube?

First, to be a dark horse, they have to make the playoffs, which is still no lock. Giroux mentioned the schedule, and this week will give a great indication as to where the Flyers stand heading into the final stretch of the season. It’s easy to get up for your archrivals in Pennsylvania; now they face the West to see how they stack up against the better conference.

The four-game homestand begins with Tuesday’s game against the Blackhawks, then Philadelphia faces Dallas, St. Louis and Los Angeles. These are all teams jostling for position in the Western Conference playoff race, but so far this season, the Flyers have held their own against the West, with a 12-9-2 record.

It’s a stretch that will help give us an idea as to whether or not the Flyers are capable of making a run. One Eastern Conference executive believes they are a team that could make postseason noise, but with caveats.

“Yes, they could,” he said on Sunday evening, but...

“Goaltending is still a question mark. Their D is average,” he said. “Good balance up front.”

The concerns are valid. As a team, the Flyers have a save percentage of .907, the lowest of any team currently in a playoff position (per ExtraSkater.com).

Mason started the season red-hot, with a .936 save percentage in October and November. Since then, his safe percentage is at .902. It averages out at .914 for the season, which is still higher than his career save percentage of .906, raising the possibility for more regression.

As for the average defense, GM Paul Holmgren landed defenseman Andrew MacDonald at the deadline to help address that shortcoming. MacDonald was overextended with the Islanders, and Berube has cut his ice time nearly five minutes per game since the trade, from 25:25 with New York to 20:35 with the Flyers.

He’s also facing easier competition since the trade, which has resulted (so far) in more positive Corsi numbers. With the Islanders, only 43.4 percent of the even-strength shots when he was on the ice were at the opposing goal, according to ExtraSkater.com. In Philadelphia, that number has improved to 49.1 percent. As a team, the Flyers are at 50.1 percent at even strength, which puts them around the middle of the pack in the NHL. They drop to 49.1 percent when the score is close.

The forwards remain the strength of the team, and the Flyers can play with anybody up front. The line of Jakub Voracek, Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell is going as well as any right now. That trio has eight goals in its last ten games, with only Toronto’s Phil Kessel line and Boston’s David Krejci line more productive in that span, according to leftwinglock.com. You can’t help but like Sean Couturier in his spot centering a shutdown line, and as this BroadStreet Hockey post examines, he has been effective against Sidney Crosby.

It’s a strong group of forwards, with Giroux propelling himself into the Hart Trophy consideration, especially considering that late-charging success has impressed voters in the past (see Alex Ovechkin and Corey Perry). It’s looking more and more like the Bruins are the clear favorite in the East. If the Flyers get in, they have as good a shot as anyone else outside the Bruins of making a run.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 4thstreet Insider:

As long as the Flyers' keep playing,the way they did in the 2 games against the Pens-they can compete with anyone.

My only concern is that Mason doesn't burn out.The only team I'd feel comfortable in playing Emery against is Dallas,in this 4 game homestand.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 4thstreet Insider:

As long as the Flyers' keep playing,the way they did in the 2 games against the Pens-they can compete with anyone.

My only concern is that Mason doesn't burn out.The only team I'd feel comfortable in playing Emery against is Dallas,in this 4 game homestand.

The Kings and Chicago are both in a little mini slump was thinking maybe one of those teams.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings and Chicago are both in a little mini slump was thinking maybe one of those teams.

I was thinking Chicago too, assuming he's 100% healthy, considering he should be VERY familiar with how Chicago plays.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, we've already proven this season that we can win at home and we can beat the west.

19-12-1 on home ice and 12-9-2 vs. the west, including wins against Los Angeles, San Jose, Colorado and Phoenix. Our last five games against the west are against tough teams, but four of them are on home ice. We do have to travel to St. Louis, but that's as far west as we go.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that Team Canada still won the gold without him, but how terrible does the snubbing of Giroux look now? He leads the entire Nhl in points since December 11, is tied for fourth overall and the only players that made the team and still have more points are Crosby and Getzlaf.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could watch that 1:07 video all day...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could watch that 1:07 video all day...

Watching that just made me extra syked for tonight!

I wish gee would use the move more these days instead of always trying to use the defensemans legs as a screen.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at how pumped up he was after that goal. I just think he used the initial hit and the following goal to motivate the entire team and building. That's what leaders do.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Canada is quietly thinking themselves as dumbasses for snubbing Giroux and he is making them eat their decision with his play on the ice. What a talented, classy, and gutsy captain we have.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're in a really good spot right now in the standings as long as we continue to work hard and play the right brand of hockey every night. The Rangers are just a point behind us, but they've played two more games and that's going to matter here soon. Columbus is a full three points back with equal games played and Washington is really screwed being three back with two more games played. I think that the Devils and Canes are done. They have too far to go in too short of a time to catch us or even make the playoffs as a second wild card.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can beat Dallas on thursday, the Rangers visit Columbus the following night in a game that could put a lot of distance between us and one of them, which would really help solidify our playoff chances.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can beat Dallas on thursday, the Rangers visit Columbus the following night in a game that could put a lot of distance between us and one of them, which would really help solidify our playoff chances.

Lets go Blue Jackets!!!!!!!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i honestly dont even care who wins that game, as long as it ends in regulation

I agree with the regulation ending but if the BJ's win it keeps the Rangers behind us no matter what we do vs the Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.