• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Niners vs. Packers debate

49erfanfromnc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With the Niners and Packers being the top two teams in the power rankings, the chatter about them meeting in the NFC Championship is getting louder and louder. While there is STILL alot of football to be played, it is very nice to dream of these two rivals again facing each other in a huge playoff game.

In watching the Packers, IMHO they compare very favorably to our 1996 Niners. We had a very lethal passing attack ( Young, Rice, Stokes, Jones, and T.O. as a rookie) and passed way more than we ran ( mainly because we had not replaced Ricky Watters when he left as a FA). I remember 3 of our losses that year, one to the Packers in Lambeau on Monday night ( remember the BS Beebe TD?) and the two losses to 2nd year and then NFC West team Carolina Panthers. The Panthers were coached by Dom Capers ( The Packers DC) and their DC was our current DC, Vic Fangio) Fangio's defense dominated us the two times that we played them, and the Panthers swept us in both games and won the division and went on the face the Packers in the NFC Championship that year as well. When a potential matchup against the Packers is mentioned, it should also be mentioned that Fangio knows how to stop a very good pass heavy WCO offense, as he did against us in the mid 1990's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd love for that NFC Championship matchup to happen but I think the packers would win handily. The defenses are probably about equally talented but the offense in GB is so far superior to the 49ers' offense that it wouldn't be much of a contest.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love for that NFC Championship matchup to happen but I think the packers would win handily. The defenses are probably about equally talented but the offense in GB is so far superior to the 49ers' offense that it wouldn't be much of a contest.

Handidly? Come on give our offense and defense more credit then that.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Handidly? Come on give our offense and defense more credit then that.

I think it is logical to assume the game will be played up there which gives them an advantage. Additinaly, at home the Packers are averaging 40 points per game and the 49ers are averaging 20 points per game on the road.

I'd guess the score would be around 35 to 17. I believe Rodgers would eat our secondary up with our inneffective pass rush.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't bet on the Niners against the Packers. But I wouldn't bet against these Niners, either. We've got a shot, but that offense is so good right now. If Rodgers stays healthy, they're going to be really tough to beat.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't bet on the Niners against the Packers. But I wouldn't bet against these Niners, either. We've got a shot, but that offense is so good right now. If Rodgers stays healthy, they're going to be really tough to beat.

I'd bet the farm; especially if they play up there in Wisconsin. Besides the fact that it would be awesome for the 49ers to get that far it would be a can't miss opportunity to win some big money on Green Bay.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it will even happen, the Cowboys or Giants are going to take out the Packers in the playoffs.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49erfanfromnc???? so he does exist!.....:photo:

As good as our Defense is, we need to be better with getting to the QB and playing jam with the WRs at the LOS... GB's passing attack is getting on my nerves more n more...

Seeing how our "youthful" CBs did against top WRs had its good and its bad moments.... the GB game(if) will have to have zero mishaps or miscommunications on the secondary's part... no Safety should leave a CB on an island... Maybe bring in another CB to play the TE cause Willis shouldn't be covering Finley all game.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ERS JUST MIGHT PULL IT OFF,,,,,,,I WOULD LOVE THAT

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The Packers defense is about as talented as the Niners defense?
I know that the Packers have played some prevent but they have given up 50 more points than the Niners have.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think Dallas or NY would beat the Packers?

I could see either team beating GB. NY is a really good road team that can get after the QB, and Dallas can get to the QB as well. And Dallas can run the ball. I don't think either team will beat them though.

The Packers look really good right now, but the weather is going to slow down their offense. I could see them losing to Chicago. Also, I don't think their defense is nearly as good as ours. They can be scored on. We will have to see if our "bend but dont break" will work against Rodgers. How insane would it be if Alex Smith went into town Green Bay and beat Aaron Rodgers for a trip to the Superbowl??

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Packers defense is about as talented as the Niners defense?
I know that the Packers have played some prevent but they have given up 50 more points than the Niners have.

I'm not saying they've been as "effective" as the 49er defense so far, just that their defense is as talented and capable of shutting a team down as they showed last year.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm guessing he likes Ware, Tuck, Umi, JPP, Kiwi taking out Rodgers.

I guess it could happen but I don't think it is likely to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that likes our chances to win this game in Green Bay on the road instead of at home? I would expect a snow game at that time of the year in Green Bay and I think that benefits our style of play. Green Bay struggled against the Bears in 2 cold out door games last year right before the playoffs and during the playoffs. Rodgers went on to play below his average in both games. He played well in the Philly game at Philly but that was also game the Packers could have lost. The only 2 games they played really well were at Atlanta and then in the Super Bowl were weather was not a factor.

I think a good cold game with maybe some rain or snow slows that offense down. I'm not sold on them stopping the run either so in a cold snowy game were they can't put up 30+ points you could really pressure their defense with Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter.

The defense would have to still play lights out though. The Packers would know they can't run on us so they would try to abuse screens and quick passes hoping for YAC on us. If we could make quick tackles and not give up those YAC then we limit the points they could score on offense. Even if they do dink and dunk it down the field all game on us you figure they would be coming away like the Giants did with mostly FG's. I like our chances in a game like that because we've proven all year we can win those games.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it will even happen, the Cowboys or Giants are going to take out the Packers in the playoffs.

Unlikely. First, it's unlikely the Boys even MAKE the playoffs. I can't see the Giants defense doing anything against Rogers. The Saints could win in a shootout in Lambeau, though.