• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NCAA Needs to Act

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any issue with it other than it completely waters down the talent pools in both college and pro basketball. Most kids could use a few more years in college to hone their craft before making the jump. If the NBA had a similar 3 years or 21 years old rule to the NFL, I think it would serve both institutions nicely.

It would serve the Universities and the NBA quite nicely, just like football. It would also hurt a lot of kids. Imagine if a job you wanted had age limits. I am guessing that would not make you particularly accepting of the idea

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it... the more I am shocked that any lottery pick level players have come back at all. Millions of dollars on the table.... one gruesome injury away from disappearing.... 1 sub-par season away from cutting in half (or worse).

A few months ago the NCAA ruled that players are now allowed to take out a loan on future earnings for the purpose of purchasing loss of value insurance... and still retain their amateur status.

That is a huge positive step, IMO. Someone like Marcus Smart can now purchase a loss of value insurance policy and come back to school. Now he's protected monetarily if his draft stock plummets. The only thing he's risking, then, is the 1 year's worth of salary (weighed against 1 more year of education, college experience, and the chance at a deep tourney run)

Business wise... that route should make it a lot easier for a lottery pick player to justify returning to school.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would serve the Universities and the NBA quite nicely, just like football. It would also hurt a lot of kids. Imagine if a job you wanted had age limits. I am guessing that would not make you particularly accepting of the idea

Well, yes and no. It might hurt kids, or it might not. The college football system doesn't seem to hurt many kids, with the exception of those that might have gotten injured. But, who is to say those injuries wouldn't have happened anyhow...without a degree to fall back on, they are worse off.

Kids that came straight from high school to the NBA were not at all mentally prepared...their failing in huge numbers is why the NBA started insisting on the 1 year in college. Now, we are basically getting the same thing except these one and done types are faking their way through a semester of college then leaving for the draft. They would hone their games and definitely mentally mature a lot by sticking around for 3 years minimum.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way this gets changed is if people stop going to games and funding the NCAA, until then one and done's will always be part of the game.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to this year, how many 1 and done's has Duke had? I'm guessing 5-6 all time.

Can I take the over?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yes and no. It might hurt kids, or it might not. The college football system doesn't seem to hurt many kids, with the exception of those that might have gotten injured. But, who is to say those injuries wouldn't have happened anyhow...without a degree to fall back on, they are worse off.

Kids that came straight from high school to the NBA were not at all mentally prepared...their failing in huge numbers is why the NBA started insisting on the 1 year in college. Now, we are basically getting the same thing except these one and done types are faking their way through a semester of college then leaving for the draft. They would hone their games and definitely mentally mature a lot by sticking around for 3 years minimum.

1. Well if those kids were injured in the NFL, at least they got paid
2. Are kids that come straight out of HS doing that much worse than college kids? I don't know the numbers. We know the successes, but what is the percentage of HS kids drafted that play 3-5 years vs drafted kids from college? Do one and dones fo worse than upperclassmen drafted? I think you are stating opinion. I am not sure the numbers would back you up, but I would be interested to see them

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I looked it up, sort of, Wikipedia says there have been 42 high school kids drafted and 8 have made the all star game. That is pretty high number

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can a fan be for a consistent "one and done" team (Kentucky?). Does the basketball team really represent the school. How many of these freshman going into the draft (not necessarily getting drafted) will be attending class the rest of this semester. When Derek Rose chose to go to Memphis it was because Illinois would not accept him because he when he would not release his test results. What does this say about Memphis.

The fans of these teams need to get behind pro teams and forget about the college teams.

By the way every year about 80 underclassmen opt for the draft. Even if non of the seniors and no foreign players are drafted the will only be 64 of them drafted. Obviously, someone is giving them bad advise. They are not bad basketball players (actually some of the best in the world)they are just not NBA caliber players. So when people say don't deny them the money, what do they say to those left by the wayside. Few actually go back to college on their own especially if they would never have been accepted if not for their basketball ability.

So maybe something along the line of a contract. Full tuition for 3 years, some extra money, real classes and projection towards a degree. In return the playe is prohibited from playing basketball elsewhere (the equal of a non compete clause in an employment contract). If he is cut from the team, the school cannot pull the scholarship (and is still limited by the number of scholarships), but the player must continue on toward the degree. They won't try to get cut because not getting to play is a sure path to not being drafted. Some devil in the details but workable in some fashion. Career ending injury would allow the team to replace the scholarship, but would still allow the player to keep his.

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Ron G said --> "How can a fan be for a consistent "one and done" team (Kentucky?). Does the basketball team really represent the school. How many of these freshman going into the draft (not necessarily getting drafted) will be attending class the rest of this semester. When Derek Rose chose to go to Memphis it was because Illinois would not accept him because he when he would not release his test results. What does this say about Memphis".

You do realize that Illinois didn't even make his final top five cut... right? Also, please explain to me how in the world he got into Memphis, or any college for that fact, was cleared by the NCAA Clearing House on two different occasions, yet didn't release his SAT scores? I have all day to wait on this explanation.

Also, to answer the question about being a fan for these one and done kids... it's as much to do with the kid as it is the time they spend at said University. Think about Cousins, Wall, Davis, MKG, Randle, and so on... these guys are always supporting UK and talking about the University which to me, shows they loved their time there and still maintain a great relationship with the fan base and coaching staff. For me, it's easy to be a fan of young men who play hard, give back to the community, and don't turn their back on the time they had in college regardless of how short that time may have been.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Ron G said --> "How can a fan be for a consistent "one and done" team (Kentucky?). Does the basketball team really represent the school. How many of these freshman going into the draft (not necessarily getting drafted) will be attending class the rest of this semester. When Derek Rose chose to go to Memphis it was because Illinois would not accept him because he when he would not release his test results. What does this say about Memphis".

You do realize that Illinois didn't even make his final top five cut... right? Also, please explain to me how in the world he got into Memphis, or any college for that fact, was cleared by the NCAA Clearing House on two different occasions, yet didn't release his SAT scores? I have all day to wait on this explanation.

Also, to answer the question about being a fan for these one and done kids... it's as much to do with the kid as it is the time they spend at said University. Think about Cousins, Wall, Davis, MKG, Randle, and so on... these guys are always supporting UK and talking about the University which to me, shows they loved their time there and still maintain a great relationship with the fan base and coaching staff. For me, it's easy to be a fan of young men who play hard, give back to the community, and don't turn their back on the time they had in college regardless of how short that time may have been.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of crying about the NCAA and one and dones. Has anyone actually stopped to think about the two basic things about this debate?

1. Blame the NBA and not the college. The NBA is the one that instituted this, not the NCAA or colleges.

2. With that in mind, why would you cry about recruiting the best talent? That is the coaches job every year. Are you people whining against it actually saying you want your coaching staff to quit recruiting for three years? Since that isn't even a consideration, coaches go after the best high school talent available.

Personally I don't care because what these players and teams do doesn't affect me. And even if it did, I wouldn't be complaining about my team getting the highest talent from high school every year. Even if they are like this kid where the NCAA forced a one and done situation on him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the 1-and-done's are the problem....There is plenty of talent in college basketball... more than ever.
And they're all on the same 10 teams

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Well if those kids were injured in the NFL, at least they got paid
2. Are kids that come straight out of HS doing that much worse than college kids? I don't know the numbers. We know the successes, but what is the percentage of HS kids drafted that play 3-5 years vs drafted kids from college? Do one and dones fo worse than upperclassmen drafted? I think you are stating opinion. I am not sure the numbers would back you up, but I would be interested to see them

They were failing hard...additionally, the vast majority of those who went straight to the pros couldn't go to college because the couldn't make the grades to get in as an ordinary student.

But, you're right I don't have numbers to back me up unfortunately, maybe they're out there. I might give the ole google machine a whirl later today if I get slow at work and see if I can dig anything up. Could well be that the straight from HS kids weren't failing in the NBA at any worse a clip than those coming from college.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naming a few players who give back to the community is not my point. It is why I said you might need to put you energies into supporting a pro team. Supporting young men (18 year olds) would indicate that you don't only support them at UK but in fact at any school they attend as long as they give back if and when they become successful.
I would agree if they were also re-enrolling to get their degrees. I don't know for many that is true. The college experience is not meant to be one semester of classes, a heavy game schedule in January and February and the NCAA in March and then the NBA draft. Do you really think any of the guys declaring for the draft are attending class anymore. And if they don't get drafted, they no longer have the scholarship and are not likely to re-enroll at their own expense.

And it is not just UK. There are many others but few with the consistent "one and done" rep that UK has.

Cheering for a college team should be more than " cheering for laundry."

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with the current set up. Why should I with hold $'s from some kid? Make your cake while you can...don't risk it to injury, or having an off year. You can always go back to school at any age...you can't play or go back to sports in the same manner.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you guys... loss-of-value insurance is the answer to everything.

Previously, players were only allowed to take out loans on future earnings to get injury insurance - only covers career ending injuries. This is nice, but doesn't cover lost income if your draft stock plummets. Loss-of-value insurance would cover that... but is quite expensive.

Now, reportedly, (as of Oct)... the NCAA will allow players to take out loans on future earnings in order to purchase loss-of-value insurance. With that in hand... there is very little risk in going back to school. The insurance policy will pay out if something happens to draft value. It makes weighing another year in school vs potential risk of losing money much tougher of a decision.

Once this becomes official and coaches and players are more aware of it... I think it can make a huge difference in top talent coming back to school.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh. It's the NBA that needs to act.

^^^This^^^

The NBA raised the age limit to be eligible for the draft.

As for one and done's, I don't have much of a problem with it. If a kid was at a school on an academic scholarship and some company wanted to hire them after a year or 2 and pay them a huge salary, no one would be complaining or calling for the NCAA to "act."

Imo, the only problem on the NCAA's part is that if a kid declares for the draft, he's no longer eligible to play in college. I think that if a kid declares and isn't drafted, he should be able to start/return to college as long as he didn't hire an agent.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think players should be allowed to go straight from High School,

This is exactly the way I think it should be. For the kids that just don't want to go to college, there's overseas ball and the D League. The league needs to also be brutally honest with these kids, it's rare for a kid to be ready to compete in the NBA like a Kobe or KG. Look at UK....Harrison Twins probably would have gone straight to the NBA out of High School, and they'd have never made it in the league. They will enter the draft this year, even though both should stay not just next year, but for their SR season as well. The only kid that could have competed right away out of all the kids on the team is KAT

And Kobe wasn't even completely ready and has said that he probably should have spent a season or 2 in college (of course, that's easy for him to say now :lol:).

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I take the over?

If you want to. Only players I think of that left after their freshman year were Maggette, Deng, Irving, Rivers, and Parker. They've had a few sophomores leave that's not a " One and Done". If there are more name them....