• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The My Vibe Thread

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve thought about getting a smoker. Food looks and smells incredible. But I don’t even grill foods very well. Not horrible. But it seems other people food from a grill task better.

My wife got me a green egg last year for my birthday. Once you get the fire going nicely it's WAY easier to cook on than a grill IMO. And the smokey flavor is awesome.

cheerupcharlie

Correcting BK on the daily
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this won't be a popular opinion here but.... food is overrated. Not food itself, the quest for the tastiest possible food.

I'm not saying taste doesn't matter, it does to give incentive to eat. But there are more important factors than just taste.
Not for me. It’s 100% about taste. I love food. I’m not overweight. Pretty good shape and healthy for the most part. I don’t drink. I don’t do any kind of drugs. I don’t smoke. But I do love food and great tasting food. I very seldom eat for the “health” aspect. I don’t eat a dozen donuts but will eat 2 or 3 and I’m fine with it. For me it goes back to when I was little. My family was poor of the poor. We had nothing. Basically lived in a shed. But because of food stamps, we ate well. So food has always been there for me even when times were rough.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for me. It’s 100% about taste. I love food. I’m not overweight. Pretty good shape and healthy for the most part. I don’t drink. I don’t do any kind of drugs. I don’t smoke. But I do love food and great tasting food. I very seldom eat for the “health” aspect. I don’t eat a dozen donuts but will eat 2 or 3 and I’m fine with it. For me it goes back to when I was little. My family was poor of the poor. We had nothing. Basically lived in a shed. But because of food stamps, we ate well. So food has always been there for me even when times were rough.
I can't argue against any of that. You are honest with yourself in a world where everyone lies to themselves "so it will be okay" (the reality is "so they won't need to face a hard truth and change").

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve thought about getting a smoker. Food looks and smells incredible. But I don’t even grill foods very well. Not horrible. But it seems other people food from a grill task better.
https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-pro-family/woodwind-pro-36/CC-Pellet-Grills-and-Smokers-Woodwind-Pro-36.htm lIll be honest here, I am not a pellet guy but am more open to one now that Camp Chef has changed the pellet game with their new design. Thye have made it pretty fool proof. They have added a burn box that allows you to add chunks of wood so you can get that deeper flavor. If that is out of the price range let me know I can do anything on a Weber Kettle that people do with $1500 smokers. It's cheaper and you just need to buy some accessories. If interested let me know I will link some stuff

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this won't be a popular opinion here but.... food is overrated. Not food itself, the quest for the tastiest possible food.

I'm not saying taste doesn't matter, it does to give incentive to eat. But there are more important factors than just taste.
Smoking allow us to change the taste of things and drink beer while we bullshit with the guys

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can look at this a couple ways.

Taste isn't everything...
Appearance, aroma, texture and even presentation. Eh...for me anyway,
1) Taste - 44%
2) Texture - 44%
3) Aroma - 10%
4) Presentation - 2%

Food is overrated...
Everyone is different. Some people go 40 years trying to perfect a golf swing. Some will try to amass the largest sports memorabilia collection. Some will polish a $10,000 car to a finish that could win Pebble Beach Concourse. Some people want a Harley T-Shirt from every dealership in the world. Some people eat to sustain life while others eating is there greatest pleasure. I like to eat and I like to eat good food. But what is even better is when someone puts a bite of brisket in there mouth and their eyes get big and their chewing comes to a stop and they look at me like I just gave them their first Big O.

I love that.

I just wish I could cook ribs as well.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fiddle heads and lentils.
Puffed wheat.
Carnation milk.
Old dairy cow.

I was probably 35 before I knew what a ribeye was. I was in my 40's before I knew what a filet or tenderloin was. I didn't know what Medium rare vs medium well was. Ribs? In my 40's. Brisket? In my late 40's. I'm 58 now so yeah, about 10 years ago. I was just never exposed to different cuts of meat growing up and never knew anything. Marbling? Why do I want steak that's all fatty? I want just red meat.

On a gas grill... I had to move to TN to get cultured.

Now I've got a Charcoal grill and a smoker and I'm making up for lost time!!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-pro-family/woodwind-pro-36/CC-Pellet-Grills-and-Smokers-Woodwind-Pro-36.htm lIll be honest here, I am not a pellet guy but am more open to one now that Camp Chef has changed the pellet game with their new design. Thye have made it pretty fool proof. They have added a burn box that allows you to add chunks of wood so you can get that deeper flavor. If that is out of the price range let me know I can do anything on a Weber Kettle that people do with $1500 smokers. It's cheaper and you just need to buy some accessories. If interested let me know I will link some stuff
Webber performer Deluxe. Inexpensive and SUPER versatile. Quick and easy too.

1719493976724.png

And Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. For the larger items, or for longer cook times.

1719494133041.png

I use a combination charcoal and wood in each.

I'll never ever use gas again.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also very poor. In those days we had government surplus not food stamps. Got plenty of eggs, cheese and chipped beef. My mother was a survival cook. I learned to cook at a very young age. In my late teens I hung with a bunch of guys that hunted and fished. I did most of the cooking. I like to enjoy eating. I can make a very thrifty meal and it will still taste great. I like ribs better than ribeye. I would prefer a properly cooked piece of cheap meat better than a filet. I appreciate that a black friends wife can make carp better than any fish from a seafood restaurant. I don’t enjoy killing animals but I do enjoy hunting and preparing what I eat and it is almost always better than what you can buy!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also very poor. In those days we had government surplus not food stamps.
Yep.

Canned beef, pork and chicken. Blocks of cheese and butter. Flour and sugar.
Didn't buy those ten cent loaves of bread, my mother made it.

She used to laugh and say we were having Welsh Rarebit instead of melted cheese on toasted bread.

We weren't poor. We just didn't have any money.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love food. All kinds. Having spent time all over the world I enjoy trying different culture's food. There really is not much I won't eat. Everything in moderation though. The older I get the harder it is to stay in shape. I bicycle or workout 5-6 times a week so nutrition is important. I even enjoy watching cooking shows just to learn new things. Food is life whether it's a bowl of syreet noodles or escargot.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love food. All kinds. Having spent time all over the world I enjoy trying different culture's food. There really is not much I won't eat. Everything in moderation though. The older I get the harder it is to stay in shape. I bicycle or workout 5-6 times a week so nutrition is important. I even enjoy watching cooking shows just to learn new things. Food is life whether it's a bowl of syreet noodles or escargot.
I guess I only like food, all kinds. But I like sushi as much as a good steak - and I do like a good steak. Middle Eastern food is high on my list too, and I'd take thai food any day over chinese. I'm training for my first century ride at the end of the summer, but run and mix in weight training too. I'm at my 25 yr old weight as I approach 60. Priorities for me are much different than in the past.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I only like food, all kinds. But I like sushi
Yup.
as much as a good steak
Yup
Middle Eastern food is high on my list too,
Ehh...
and I'd take thai food any day over chinese.
Ehh. Thai is OK but I'll take good authentic Chinese.
I'm training for my first century ride at the end of the summer, but run and mix in weight training too.
Fuck yes! I've never ridden anywhere near that far. Good on you. My wrists and thumb go dead. I can't do it. Too many years swinging sledge hammers and jackhammers. I was such a dumbass.
I'm at my 25 yr old weight as I approach 60. Priorities for me are much different than in the past.
Glad to hear it. I am once again back in the saddle and training for another half marathon. I would like to get back to my 35 year old weight, But I'll set my sights on my 45 year old weight and be use my 55 year old weight as motivation.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to push this a different direction. Looking for warnings, advice and things to beware of.

Here goes.

I have contracted with an excellent, experienced contractor to install.......................a 12' x 24' inground swimming pool.

Right now I have a hardly used lanai enclosed with heavy duty screen. That will be removed when the concrete is being poured for the pool and surround area. Then the acrylic surface will be poured and the existing lanai that has a broken tile floor will be resurfaced and covered with the acrylic. I bought the best pumping and emergency drain systems as well as the top of the line water heating system so I can use the pool all year
The entire area will enclosed with a bronze screen lanai.
It's going to cost $75,000.

Any of you ever had one installed????

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the food I like and am not the type of person to try new things. EX: Holiday's roll around my Ole Ladies family making crap like Collard Greens, Ox Tails, Yams etc won't touch it. I like what I like and can always find something to eat at the family buffet. Of course her family members always try to get me try the stuff I won't. I also think it's cute when people say shit like "You aint never tried my cornbread", no because I don't like cornbread.

This being said I am doing Smoked Deviled Eggs for the 4th all her people are amped up this.