• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The My Vibe Thread

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasoline tanker caught fire (?) under the overpass and that's what supposedly caused it. How the hell does a truck catch fire at 6:20 am??
Took out I95 both north and south. Average traffic is 160,000 vehicles in each direction daily. Took them three years to do the last fix being able to divert traffic from one side to the other. It'll take them a year to figure out what to do next.

Pretty simple. Don't contract anyone. Put the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on it and declare a National Emergency. It'll get done by Independence Day 2024.
Or just leave it closed.
Philly folks won't be able to get to Boston?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean to tell me a few thousand gallons of burning 87 octane will get hot enough to soften bridge girders and crack concrete?

First, concrete will begin to degrade at 200 degrees F (I am not going through the steps to insert a little degree symbol).
Second, most steel will begin to melt at 2700 degrees F.
And third, However, in general, the flame temperature of gasoline combustion can reach up to approximately 1,950 degrees Celsius (3,542 degrees Fahrenheit) in ideal conditions.

So yeah...that'll do it.
Steel begins becoming"hot short" at 800 degrees. That's why the World Trade Center came down.
When steel becomes "hot short" it loses all strength.
Glue-lam construction withstands fire better than steel- it chars instead of bending.
Steel construction in a building is usualkly "protected" by a fire - retardant.
Many bridges are steel girders with a slab on top. Underneath is not protected from heat.
There are multiple definitions of hot short. The one I'm using is an Iron Workers term.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steel begins becoming"hot short" at 800 degrees. That's why the World Trade Center came down.
When steel becomes "hot short" it loses all strength.
Glue-lam construction withstands fire better than steel- it chars instead of bending.
Steel construction in a building is usualkly "protected" by a fire - retardant.
Many bridges are steel girders with a slab on top. Underneath is not protected from heat.
There are multiple definitions of hot short. The one I'm using is an Iron Workers term.
Exactly why my first comment was soften, not melt.
It loses all ability to be a structural member at that point and the reason why arbitrary welding and or torch cutting of structural members is not allowed.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been on 81 and 84 not 88
88 is a long boring trip from Binghamton NY to Albany NY. Through the most nothing of New York.

I traveled that every Sunday night and Friday night for a year just so I could avoid the tolls by going 84 to 87 when I worked in Wilkes Barre PA and resided in VT.
I just got sick of the nothingness.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly why my first comment was soften, not melt.
It loses all ability to be a structural member at that point and the reason why arbitrary welding and or torch cutting of structural members is not allowed.
incidently, if the world trade centers had been built on the west coast - they likely would not have fallen.
The coincidental reason is that columns used would be fewer but much thicker - and take much longer to heat up.
Some of the taller buildings on the west coast have columns so thick that we had to heat them all night to get to 500 degrees before we could strike an arc on them to begin welding.
I have personally worked on columns that were 5000 pounds per inch of height!
The fire would have run out of fuel before columns got hot enough to result in a hot short condition......

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
88 is a long boring trip from Binghamton NY to Albany NY. Through the most nothing of New York.

I traveled that every Sunday night and Friday night for a year just so I could avoid the tolls by going 84 to 87 when I worked in Wilkes Barre PA and resided in VT.
I just got sick of the nothingness.
I use to avoid tolls but it adds about 2 hours to the drive. I drive early Sunday morning run 95 to the Jersey Turnpike to save time. Not sure I will do that now might have to go back to the old route. Although I don't travel until 9/30 have to see what it looks like then. I found hitting 95 early Sunday morning is not bad

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use to avoid tolls but it adds about 2 hours to the drive. I drive early Sunday morning run 95 to the Jersey Turnpike to save time. Not sure I will do that now might have to go back to the old route. Although I don't travel until 9/30 have to see what it looks like then. I found hitting 95 early Sunday morning is not bad
I used to run the toll booths on California bridges. No chance of being caught.
(yeah, I was an asshole)

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to run the toll booths on California bridges. No chance of being caught.
(yeah, I was an asshole)
Yeah but now a day if you don't have EZ Pass they just take pics of license plate and bill you in the mail

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I wouldn't do that.
2) I have photo guards on my license plate so I can't be tracked.
Oh tricky tricky, never heard of them. But I am pretty much a by the book, live by the rules type of guy. I don't want to pay the tolls but I understand them and where the money is supposed to go.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh tricky tricky, never heard of them. But I am pretty much a by the book, live by the rules type of guy. I don't want to pay the tolls but I understand them and where the money is supposed to go.
I agree. I pay the tolls too, as long as it's a road that saves me time.

I have the photo guards because I don't like Big Brother or any of his private company minions tracking me.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I pay the tolls too, as long as it's a road that saves me time.

I have the photo guards because I don't like Big Brother or any of his private company minions tracking me.
Can't they do that with your cell phone?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't they do that with your cell phone?
1) Theoretically Big Bro has to have a search warrant
2) I have location permissions all shut off on my phone
3) I would have to have my phone with me. I am not always glued to my phone, sometimes I rock my day old school and just fucking leave it.

I went to the DMV to get a "Gold Star" drivers license which was supposed to make travel easier and it was also going to be required for access to certain parts of Fort Campbell where I work. This was right after Covid hit so I couldn't just walk in to DMV. I was met at a plastic table desk in the entrance by a man who took my name and asked what I was there for. He then said he needed my cell phone number. I said I didn't have one. He said no, I need your cell phone number or he couldn't let me in. I leaned forward and asked him, So I cannot have a drivers license if I don't have a cell phone?? BLEW. HIS. MIND. He looked at his crony and they just stared at each other, baffled. I said I can give you my home number and he said we have to page you on it to let you know when you can go in. I said enter my home number and just stand up and look out the door, I will e standing there. It infuriated them.
I do not let anyone use my cell number as an identification number. I know it's just trying to hold back the ocean, but It's a hill I will die on.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Theoretically Big Bro has to have a search warrant
2) I have location permissions all shut off on my phone
3) I would have to have my phone with me. I am not always glued to my phone, sometimes I rock my day old school and just fucking leave it.

I went to the DMV to get a "Gold Star" drivers license which was supposed to make travel easier and it was also going to be required for access to certain parts of Fort Campbell where I work. This was right after Covid hit so I couldn't just walk in to DMV. I was met at a plastic table desk in the entrance by a man who took my name and asked what I was there for. He then said he needed my cell phone number. I said I didn't have one. He said no, I need your cell phone number or he couldn't let me in. I leaned forward and asked him, So I cannot have a drivers license if I don't have a cell phone?? BLEW. HIS. MIND. He looked at his crony and they just stared at each other, baffled. I said I can give you my home number and he said we have to page you on it to let you know when you can go in. I said enter my home number and just stand up and look out the door, I will e standing there. It infuriated them.
I do not let anyone use my cell number as an identification number. I know it's just trying to hold back the ocean, but It's a hill I will die on.
Well we all have our own little ways about us. I figure I am to broke and to insignificant for anyone to really give shit

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone, somehow orderde the Alien Four Movie Bundle on my VUDU account. I called VUDU and asked who, how, when, where the order was made.

The only thing they could find was that the original was made in Texas.

I asked them the address on my account. They gave me my Florida address which was correct. I asked, How the hell is someone in Texas ordering movies on my account? They putzed around and dubbed around some more and I said, How about changing everything on my account? They gave me at least fifty reasons why that would be near impossible.

They said that I would get a $14.99 refund and could get five free $4.99 or under films over the next six months and they would remove the Aliens bundle. I got the refund, have picked off two of the five free movies and still have the Aliens bundle. I might binge Aliens someday soon.

I keep wondering how I screwed up and/or someone figured out a four number PIN that has to be used to order a movie.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone, somehow orderde the Alien Four Movie Bundle on my VUDU account. I called VUDU and asked who, how, when, where the order was made.

I asked them the address on my account. They gave me my Florida address which was correct. I asked, How the hell is someone in Texas ordering movies on my account? They putzed around and dubbed around some more and I said, How about changing everything on my account? They gave me at least fifty reasons why that would be near impossible.

They said that I would get a $14.99 refund and could get five free $4.99 or under films over the next six months and they would remove the Aliens bundle. I got the refund, have picked off two of the five free movies and still have the Aliens bundle. I might binge Aliens someday soon.

I keep wondering how I screwed up and/or someone figured out a four number PIN that has to be used to order a movie.
A few weeks back my wife woke up one Sunday morning to some emails from Facebook. I have never had a Facebook account, but she did but stopped frequenting it. So these emails asked her if she was sure she wanted to change her password and another asked if she was sure she wanted to change her email address, then they confirmed the change of both email and password. Then another said we think your Facebook has been hacked, please log on and check.
She texted a friend who logged on and said everything on her page looked normal. She received a final email from Facebook saying her account had been hacked and closed. Said friend tried again and her account is gone.

I am so over everything being hacked and unsecure.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well in all honesty, accounts can be set up so that a security code is sent to your cell phone. You need to enter that code in order to confirm actions on any given account. It's a good idea.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Current Vibe: (Frustrated)

Most of you know, if you have paid any attention I am married to a black chick have been for 36 years. I having a conversation a few years back and a then friend said to me, "I think more people are becoming more tolerant towards black people". I replied, why the fuck do you feel they have to be tolerated why can't you just accept them for who they are? Of course he went on to claim he didn't mean it like that but he did. I had hoped for a while things were getting better but they are not. And where it was once and still is people with different pigmented skin seems now the political and religious world is out to get the LBGTQ. Just seems to me as whole in America we are less and less willing to accept people for who they are and more and more inclined to think everyone should fit into their personal expectation. Just seems America continues down this slippery slope and into the cesspool of hate. People love to say America is the greatest country in the world, but I bet most of them have never left America. It's shameful the way we treat one another but no one seems to care.