• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is this cast just unlikable?
I don't care for the guy playing young Elrond. It's hard not to compare him to Hugo Weaving from the LOTR films.

It's also hard not to compare this young badass Galadriel with the stately queen from the movies.

Love the guy playing Durin, and his wife. They're my favorites so far. Not as campy as the Gimli character from the previous films, but still with a bit of whimsy.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Most people I know who even attempted to read The Silmarillion thought it dry and washed out on reading the whole thing.

So... it's not just you. ;)
I've read parts of it and it wasnt bad. The story of Middle Earths beginning and some stories but, yeah, very dry.

That said, with regards to the ring of power, after I fell asleep the 1st time I watched it again and it wasnt bad... :D. Fell asleep during episode 3.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care for the guy playing young Elrond. It's hard not to compare him to Hugo Weaving from the LOTR films.

It's also hard not to compare this young badass Galadriel with the stately queen from the movies.

Love the guy playing Durin, and his wife. They're my favorites so far. Not as campy as the Gimli character from the previous films, but still with a bit of whimsy.
Maybe I just haven't let it marinate long enough yet... Most of the initial episodes are just setting up the story anyway. But so far I haven't liked many actors. Haven't watched ep 4 yet.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I just haven't let it marinate long enough yet... Most of the initial episodes are just setting up the story anyway. But so far I haven't liked many actors. Haven't watched ep 4 yet.
I'm trying to figure out how the Galadriel of this series turns into the Galadriel of LOTR. They seem very different.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is this cast just unlikable?
In the LoTR when I read it the elves seemed in my head like badasses. In Peter Jacksons first 3 movies they were maybe a bit uptight and stiff upper lip-ish but still badasses. In the hobbit movies were they had like armies they seemed maybe snobbish but still badasses. In this the elves all seem prissy. Except Galadrial who seems kinda childish and stunted for somebody who is thousands of years old and basically a living legend amongst the elves already at this point.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the LoTR when I read it the elves seemed in my head like badasses. In Peter Jacksons first 3 movies they were maybe a bit uptight and stiff upper lip-ish but still badasses. In the hobbit movies were they had like armies they seemed maybe snobbish but still badasses. In this the elves all seem prissy. Except Galadrial who seems kinda childish and stunted for somebody who is thousands of years old and basically a living legend amongst the elves already at this point.
Arondir & the "watch" elves (or whatever you call them) were a little more badass, but I see your point. Seems like they are stretching hard to bolster that wise & noble element to their people (more hubris than anything at this point though). Maybe the years after these movies are intended to be viewed as "hardening years" when they start to take these dark magic threats more seriously? That would align with Galadrial's story arc of her quest to prove these threats exist?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arondir & the "watch" elves (or whatever you call them) were a little more badass, but I see your point. Seems like they are stretching hard to bolster that wise & noble element to their people (more hubris than anything at this point though). Maybe the years after these movies are intended to be viewed as "hardening years" when they start to take these dark magic threats more seriously? That would align with Galadrial's story arc of her quest to prove these threats exist?
I always saw the elves in the LOTR books as aloof from men and dwarves, didn't want to have anything to do with them after the first age treacheries. And the elves in the Hobbit were downright hostile, since they were Sindar and had never been across the ocean or seen the two trees.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always saw the elves in the LOTR books as aloof from men and dwarves, didn't want to have anything to do with them after the first age treacheries. And the elves in the Hobbit were downright hostile, since they were Sindar and had never been across the ocean or seen the two trees.
At least there are different types or factions to give us some plausibility as to why they behave differently. Its tough to go from the badasses that we've seen prior to this show to these elves in the show.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least there are different types or factions to give us some plausibility as to why they behave differently. Its tough to go from the badasses that we've seen prior to this show to these elves in the show.

I think you really need to let the show build its own story and not focus too much on the LotR version of people. Things are quite different in this era compared to the time of LotR.

Let me preface that I read the Silmarilion about 40 years ago so I don't recall most of the details. But I'm fine with how they are building these characters.

Who does everyone think The Stranger will turn out to be? I had originally assumed Gandalf but apparently there are some timeline issues with that which make it unlikely but not necessarily impossible.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does everyone think The Stranger will turn out to be? I had originally assumed Gandalf but apparently there are some timeline issues with that which make it unlikely but not necessarily impossible.
No freakin' clue... That scene at the end of ep 5 was very curious, when he had his arm in the water and it froze up, trapping the young Harfoot girl's hand as well. The way she responded to him after was pure terror.

It's possible that he's Sauron, but my money is on the guy the orcs call Adar.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No freakin' clue... That scene at the end of ep 5 was very curious, when he had his arm in the water and it froze up, trapping the young Harfoot girl's hand as well. The way she responded to him after was pure terror.

It's possible that he's Sauron, but my money is on the guy the orcs call Adar.

I think it is highly unlikely he is Sauron. And he is obviously not Adar since we have met Adar.

Most likely it is either Gandalf or another wizard.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is highly unlikely he is Sauron. And he is obviously not Adar since we have met Adar.
I wasn't clear: I was saying that I think Adar = Sauron, not that the mystery naked guy is Adar.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely it is either Gandalf or another wizard.
This. I initially assumed he'd be Sauron (the fallen star imagery). But now it looks like the stranger is Gandalf or another wizard. He just about has to be.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I initially assumed he'd be Sauron (the fallen star imagery). But now it looks like the stranger is Gandalf or another wizard. He just about has to be.

Yeah. I initially assumed Gandalf but I read a few things that make me think it is a blue wizard.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I initially assumed Gandalf but I read a few things that make me think it is a blue wizard.
And who were those creepy pale people who came to his crash site in the last episode? They're playing that whole angle pretty close right now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who were those creepy pale people who came to his crash site in the last episode? They're playing that whole angle pretty close right now.

They could also be wizards.