• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked but didn't love it. It got a much longer leash with the LOTR name attached to it.

The Good: Much of it is pretty breathtaking, scenery, the cities and the various landscapes. It felt like an expansive world so they nailed that aspect.

The Bad: It's too schizophrenic, felt like they tried covering too much ground and failed to properly develop characters and plot lines.

Ideally if they could have a do-over I'd scrap at least one of the storylines (probably the Dwarves) and condense the story a bit. I think both the hobbit and the Galadriel/Southlands story all could have benefited from more screen time to truly flesh them out.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking this over more, I think they would have been much better off splitting this into multiple series and having them collide into one another at a later point.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you have to be wrong about everything?
I tried a few times to get into it but it held no interest for me; not a single character I could identify with. And the subtle woke politics behind the story is amusing but tiresome

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some spoilers in the video but pretty amusing.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried a few times to get into it but it held no interest for me; not a single character I could identify with. And the subtle woke politics behind the story is amusing but tiresome
There's nothing remotely subtle about JRR Tolkien's politics.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing remotely subtle about JRR Tolkien's politics.
Been dead for decades. Hollywood took over with their minority and female heroes and the evil characters being white males.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been dead for decades. Hollywood took over with their minority and female heroes and the evil characters being white males.
Have you not read the Lord of the Rings?

Because its pretty clear you have no clue what you are talking about.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might have read one of the books as a child but I'm an adult now; I don't read children's books anymore.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've read Lord of the Rings. And I'm totally cool with The Rings of Power choosing whoever they want for their characters.

But what exactly was he wrong about?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might have read one of the books as a child but I'm an adult now; I don't read children's books anymore.
The Hobbit could be considered a children’s book. LOTR certainly is not. But at this point it’s clear you’re just trolling.

I've read Lord of the Rings. And I'm totally cool with The Rings of Power choosing whoever they want for their characters.

But what exactly was he wrong about?
His assertion that the show runners went “woke” and politicized LOTR. Tolkien was political as fuck in his writing. It was already “woke” and politicized. And from his post above he’s making the claim without any knowledge of the source material. He clearly has no clue what he’s talking about.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hobbit could be considered a children’s book. LOTR certainly is not. But at this point it’s clear you’re just trolling.

His assertion that the show runners went “woke” and politicized LOTR. Tolkien was political as fuck in his writing. It was already “woke” and politicized. And from his post above he’s making the claim without any knowledge of the source material. He clearly has no clue what he’s talking about.
I was 100% correct about the wokeness nonsense that makes the show unwatchable for me. What I was wrong about was giving you a hard time about watching a kids show; you can watch and enjoy whatever you choose to

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 100% correct about the wokeness nonsense that makes the show unwatchable for me. What I was wrong about was giving you a hard time about watching a kids show; you can watch and enjoy whatever you choose to
Diversity and inclusion will be a fact of life in movies and the like for a while I think. some of it took getting used to but I don't think it's as big a deal as you claim

Anyone care that Tessa Thompson who played one of the Nordic Valkeries in the Thor movies was black?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diversity and inclusion will be a fact of life in movies and the like for a while I think. some of it took getting used to but I don't think it's as big a deal as you claim

Anyone care that Tessa Thompson who played one of the Nordic Valkeries in the Thor movies was black?
What I don’t like is the forcing of their values on me

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don’t like is the forcing of their values on me
It's not uncommon for movies and show to have a point of view.. You don't have to watch... .

I think for the most part it's more a question of familiarity that often turns out to be a nothing burger once the initial surprise is over... Although I don't disagree that some movies with heavy does of political correctness can turn out to be crapola. Wonder Woman 1984 comes to mind here..

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not uncommon for movies and show to have a point of view.. You don't have to watch... .

I think for the most part it's more a question of familiarity that often turns out to be a nothing burger once the initial surprise is over... Although I don't disagree that some movies with heavy does of political correctness can turn out to be crapola. Wonder Woman 1984 comes to mind here..
That was my whole point in my original post; that I won’t watch it. I won’t be manipulated