• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd episode in the bank

Starting to get somewhere but still not a ton of action. Hang in there.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Kenobi thing the young black lady supposedly got a lot of racial shit thrown at her but was it really racial or was it that the character sucked? Not her fault, there's only so much you can do with an over the top just plain bad character. The other inquisitors weren't any better.

First off the character and show sucked. Don't call it Obi Wan Kenobi if she's going to be the main focus. Also, the little kid actor sucked and her running was the most laughable shit I've seen in forever. Hell the fuckin' video game Fallen Order told a better story and the main antagonist was a ethnic female and she was BADASS and believable. Nobody bitched about her.

Also, there's ALWAYS going to be morons on the Internet that make stupid/mean comments because it's the Internet. You know the best way to deal with that? IGNORE IT. Not have Mr. Mouse's social media slaves call out everyone, Ewan rushing to her defense, and even her talking about it. Just IGNORE the MORONS out there and STFU. That's the easiest way to defuse it. The more you get all butthurt about it, the most Internet trolls react. If you don't like it, how about GET OFF THE INTERNET.

But it's Hollyweird... out to SAVE the world with their honorable and noble political correctness and their 'holier than thou our farts don't stink attitude'... meanwhile sexual assault, illegal activity, drug use, shady capitalistic techniques, manipulation, harassment, violence, etc.' run rampant in the industry.... lol... fuckin' joke. That's why everyone just rolls their eyes now when celebs spew bullshit on their PC topics.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the one complaint you can make is they didn't put the beards on the female dwarves.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm enjoying the show. Maybe even more than House of the Dragon.

It's definitely a slow burn but I knew that going in. We are only a few episodes in and they are still world building. We are just meeting most of the major characters. One would have to assume that the plan is for this show to have at least 4 or 5 seasons and likely they would prefer it last 7 or 8. They put a LOT of money into it. When you are planning for 60-80 hours of content, you are going to need to spend some time building the show.

I think the bigger challenge they are having right now is people just don't have investment in the characters yet.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bigger challenge they are having right now is people just don't have investment in the characters yet
Favorite character so far is Durin... Least favorite is badass Galadriel. Never envisioned her as a warrior, but whatever. Not a deal breaker.

I think we get to see Sauron this week, the character the orcs were calling "Adar"

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favorite character so far is Durin... Least favorite is badass Galadriel. Never envisioned her as a warrior, but whatever. Not a deal breaker.

I think we get to see Sauron this week, the character the orcs were calling "Adar"
The Galadriel character is pretty bad. She also comes off pretty stupid.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that. I think she's pretty interesting. I get it is a stark contrast to the LOTR version of Galadriel. But this is just updating the story for a modern audience. Tolkien's female characters followed classic gender tropes of his time. Not his fault but having a cast of hero men and demur damsels just won't work today.

I actually like the actress who plays Galadriel and the "Fuck you" attitude she is exuding.

I think there is an almost 0% chance that Adar is Sauron. Seems way too early to face off with him yet. My guess is that Adar is a Sauron acolyte.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Galadriel character is pretty bad. She also comes off pretty stupid.

Well jumping off the boat seems like a pretty bad idea at the time. It wasn't necessary but they were trying to create some stakes for her. They wanted to show that she eschewed "heaven" in order to go back and fight Sauron.

Not sure what other things she has done that would be considered stupid though.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well jumping off the boat seems like a pretty bad idea at the time. It wasn't necessary but they were trying to create some stakes for her. They wanted to show that she eschewed "heaven" in order to go back and fight Sauron.

Not sure what other things she has done that would be considered stupid though.
She mismanaged her team to the point they mutinied. Completely ignoring the rest of the team was not a bright move. After being rescued at sea and taken to the city (name escapes me) she was pretty arrogant and rude. Not the brightest thing when you're in a city that dislikes elves to begin with. Then there's the jumping into the ocean part you mentioned along with lashing herself to the pole on the remnants of a boat that was falling apart. If there was one piece of that boat that was sure to get ripped off in a wave it was the mast/pole.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get that. I think she's pretty interesting. I get it is a stark contrast to the LOTR version of Galadriel. But this is just updating the story for a modern audience. Tolkien's female characters followed classic gender tropes of his time. Not his fault but having a cast of hero men and demur damsels just won't work today
Yeah, I understand all that, and like I said, not a deal breaker. It's just hard to reconcile this character with the one that's been in my head for nearly 40 years. My daughter, OTOH, absolutely loves her.

The Bronwyn character, I have no history with her and therefore no trouble with her independence and spirit.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She mismanaged her team to the point they mutinied. Completely ignoring the rest of the team was not a bright move. After being rescued at sea and taken to the city (name escapes me) she was pretty arrogant and rude. Not the brightest thing when you're in a city that dislikes elves to begin with. Then there's the jumping into the ocean part you mentioned along with lashing herself to the pole on the remnants of a boat that was falling apart. If there was one piece of that boat that was sure to get ripped off in a wave it was the mast/pole.
It's as if they transferred some of Feanor's character traits to her: obstinate, single-minded, a bit oblivious to the damage she may cause others

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that seems pretty much SOP for heroes in Tolkein stories. It's not like Aragorn made the smartest choices.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I understand all that, and like I said, not a deal breaker. It's just hard to reconcile this character with the one that's been in my head for nearly 40 years. My daughter, OTOH, absolutely loves her.

The Bronwyn character, I have no history with her and therefore no trouble with her independence and spirit.

Well think of Galadriel as the 3000 years younger version of the Blanchett version. :)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well think of Galadriel as the 3000 years younger version of the Blanchett version. :)
LOL..that helped. I mean, we don't have any proof that she WASN'T some kind of badass mercenary during that age. Or that Elrond wasn't some milquetoast politician

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that seems pretty much SOP for heroes in Tolkein stories. It's not like Aragorn made the smartest choices.
You have a point. Aragon advising Theodon to ride out and attack 10000 orcs with a couple hundred guys rather than barricade themselves into what they thought was an impregnable fortress was asinine. But I expect more of an elf that's 100's if not 1000's of years old.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL..that helped. I mean, we don't have any proof that she WASN'T some kind of badass mercenary during that age. Or that Elrond wasn't some milquetoast politician

IIRC, Elrond was a bad ass in this story.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a point. Aragon advising Theodon to ride out and attack 10000 orcs with a couple hundred guys rather than barricade themselves into what they thought was an impregnable fortress was asinine. But I expect more of an elf that's 100's if not 1000's of years old.

Tolkein characters tend to be way too cocky based purely on their thick plot armor. :)