• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Long List of Denver Broncos put on notice by the draft

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the 5th year option works is it is only fully guaranteed against injury. So if he gets hurt he still gets the money and stays with the team. That is why they won't exercise the option because every year he has had some kind of injury. The odds of him staying healthy for an entire season are slim to none and him living up to the billing of being worth that 5th year option are slim to none.

They can cut him if he is not hurt and not owe him a dime.

I just read that when the Texans picked up Kevin Johnson's option. Good catch.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if you cut him - you won't be eligible for compensation in the draft.

I can't quite remember how that all works.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe we just wouldn’t be re-signing him and if he leaves as a FA, we get a comp pick in 2020.

I think he meant if you picked up the 5th year option then cut him after this year because he doesn't produce for us.

For comp sake you sorta need to decide if you want him 4 years and let him walk or 5 years and let him walk. If you pick up the option then cut him before his 5th year that is the one drawback. No comp pick.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he meant if you picked up the 5th year option then cut him after this year because he doesn't produce for us.

For comp sake you sorta need to decide if you want him 4 years and let him walk or 5 years and let him walk. If you pick up the option then cut him before his 5th year that is the one drawback. No comp pick.
Ok. I didn’t understand the old geezer apparently. ;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention. I think Andy Janovich is still in good position on this team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention. I think Andy Janovich is still in good position on this team.

I would say he is still in good position because our TE core is still not that deep. If they sign another FA TE though I can't see him making this team.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say he is still in good position because our TE core is still not that deep. If they sign another FA TE though I can't see him making this team.

I see us going with

FB- Jano

TE- Butt
TE- Fumagalli
TE- Celek or some vet

Heuerman is in a lot more danger, IMO...

But I'm not giving him a spot either.

I thought we would see a bit more out of Jano on special teams..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see us going with

FB- Jano

TE- Butt
TE- Fumagalli
TE- Celek or some vet

Heuerman is in a lot more danger, IMO...

But I'm not giving him a spot either.

I thought we would see a bit more out of Jano on special teams..

I hope they keep Jano as I think he offers some nice versatility to this offense and can be a nice piece for special teams. My problem last year is they just didn't seem to have a plan of how to use him. Me personally I love him in the passing game as a great sneaky receiving option that teams forget about quite often.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes your FB just doesn't get the cookies!!! But he makes his impact at blocking. I guess I feel like you really don't notice Jano a lot and what his role is... I think special teams is his key. When we drafted him I expected him to be a stand out there..... I figured maybe his offensive role was important to the point where he wasn't focusing on special teams, but it does seem like we need to find a way to get him involved more. He could be an extra weapon, but like you and Mingo are making the point, while he is a good player will we use him enough to warrant a roster spot? He was active for all 16 games last year and 11 the year before, before his injury sidelines him. I feel we really like him, just need to expand a role more. Don't ever expect him to be a guy who gets the ball a ton, but maybe a bit more than he does now. Maybe similar to Howard Griffith catching the ball or how Matt Tolbert has been used throughout his career. Elway does seem to want that power run game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that when McCoy got fired is when Janovich saw his role improve snap count wise on offense. He went from only having 2 games out of the first 11 with more than 10 snaps on offense to every single game under Musgrave having at least 10 snaps per game on offense. So maybe they will find a better way to utilize him as I do really think he is a nice weapon and a great blocking option to keep teams guessing where we are trying to run the football.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think there is a place for Ray here. His 2016 season he showed good ability. The injury really hampered him last year. He’s been a great guy off the field too. Defensively, we have the ability to really attack up front. Chubb could play on the line, and we could attack from everywhere.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think there is a place for Ray here. His 2016 season he showed good ability. The injury really hampered him last year. He’s been a great guy off the field too. Defensively, we have the ability to really attack up front. Chubb could play on the line, and we could attack from everywhere.

Oh I agree he has a place with this team. I'm just don't think he has shown the Broncos should make any kind of commitment to him at this point. Let him play in a contract year and play for something. If he proves himself then pay the man and keep a nice 3 man rotation at pass rusher or get yourself a nice Comp Pick when he goes somewhere else.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is 100% where I'm sitting right now. Let's see what an injury free (hopefully) season looks like for Shane Ray. I still think he's one of the good guys and can be a force for our defense.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does this crap that Ray might be a good guy?

You don't know that he's a Bronco with a KC Chiefs tattoo??

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list and post Mingo.

One I would add is Branden Langley. He was inactive the last 5 games of the season over undrafted CB Marcus Rios. We then signed Tramaine Brock this offseason and even flirted with the idea of free agent CB’s after we signed Brock like Delvin Breaux. We then took Isaac Yiadom in round 3 (which we all expected) but a very similar type of CB to Langley. Good gunner, physical CB with size who can tackle. Something tells me we were not pleased with Langley last year and we know we were not pleased with Henderson last year as he had a bad camp. I think Henderson is in more trouble then McKenzie because we’re still high on McKenzie as a PR, but if he doesn’t protect the ball this year he isn’t going to get a mulligan. I feel Zaire Anderson will be safe because he does well on special team and we lost Corey Nelson. Berria could push him for a roster spot, or we could end up keeping both too. I wasn’t a fan of any of the LB’s we brought in last year off the PS. They didn’t really show anything on special teams. Those guys are Jerrol Garcia-Williams, Deiontrez Mout and Joseph Jones. I think Jewell/Bierria was more to replace some of those depth guys. I think Jewell will have a role this year and develop him into a starter in his 2nd or 3rd season depending on how Marshall and Davis do with their contracts. Even with drafting two RB’s and signing Lindsay UDFA I still feel good about De’Angelo Henderson.
Hmnn.....don't remember anyone in the draft contest picking him in 3rd round. Maybe one guy picked him period :) As far as Ray, although he hasn't been healthy much, from what I hear he is now 100% so if he wants Denver to pk up 5th, he better bring it up a few notches regardless. Also, I disagree on Jewel ( Iowa homers hate Michigan ,duh ) Jewel will be leader of that D year two. Captain also.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks for the Janos of the league ( which there is few to begin with anyway ) If he was utilized right and MORE he would of been a good asset. To bad the liars in Denver drafted him. If he would of gone to Philly ,NE to name a couple, I think he had chance to be a pretty good contributor if in a. I think the classification FB will be obsolete very soon. Either that or their payck will be worse than long snap :)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmnn.....don't remember anyone in the draft contest picking him in 3rd round. Maybe one guy picked him period :) As far as Ray, although he hasn't been healthy much, from what I hear he is now 100% so if he wants Denver to pk up 5th, he better bring it up a few notches regardless. Also, I disagree on Jewel ( Iowa homers hate Michigan ,duh ) Jewel will be leader of that D year two. Captain also.

In saying we all expected Yiadom, I was meaning we all expected a CB to get selected early. Didn't mean everyone at the hoop expected us to draft Yiadom inparticular.... LMAO.

Now, what are you disagreeing with on Jewell?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes your FB just doesn't get the cookies!!! But he makes his impact at blocking. I guess I feel like you really don't notice Jano a lot and what his role is... I think special teams is his key. When we drafted him I expected him to be a stand out there..... I figured maybe his offensive role was important to the point where he wasn't focusing on special teams, but it does seem like we need to find a way to get him involved more. He could be an extra weapon, but like you and Mingo are making the point, while he is a good player will we use him enough to warrant a roster spot? He was active for all 16 games last year and 11 the year before, before his injury sidelines him. I feel we really like him, just need to expand a role more. Don't ever expect him to be a guy who gets the ball a ton, but maybe a bit more than he does now. Maybe similar to Howard Griffith catching the ball or how Matt Tolbert has been used throughout his career. Elway does seem to want that power run game.

I don't know how many times I saw Jano used as misdirection blocker - rather than a hole clearing blocker - in other words most of the time - he went in a different direction in his block than the play went.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he isn’t very smart. He did go to Nebraska. ;)