• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Long List of Denver Broncos put on notice by the draft

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paxton Lynch - strap it on brother - Chad Kelly passed the "can he live like a pro for a year and stay out of trouble" test and he will crush you in competition.

Andy Janovich - Love this guy - love his game - he was injured, but also under utilized when healthy. I don't think FB figures prominently on this roster - Fumugali - is an H back type - and Butt and Fumugali have the double TE look to them.

Carlos Henderson - Isiah McKenzie - Jordan Taylor etc. wake up guys - Sutton and Hamilton with DT and Sanders don't leave a lot of footballs left for you guys. Not to mention Butt and Fumugali.

Shane Ray - you won't sniff a 5th year option - Chubb is going to take your job - and Holland - can already do what you have proven you can do.

Zaire Anderson - Love you guy, but IMO - Josey Jewell is going to park himself behind Peko and destroy anything coming across the middle from hash mark to hash mark. The Broncos won't need someone to go sideline to sideline because Chubb will clean up anything coming his way - as will Miller. This will take a lot of pressure of Brandon Marshall - as well.

And of course - Vance Joseph - you're on notice - you had a team quit on you - a war erupted between your offense and defense - you couldn't control your coaches and you work for a guy who hasn't shown a lot of patience. You played the hand JE gave you last year, but this year - the Broncos conspicuously drafted college graduates - team captains (multi year captains) - mature fellows - so no excuses if you can't pull this team into the playoffs. Plus you get a real QB - who paid his dues in the league - and has the player's respect.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic Mingo Post. Good work.

I think you could have added Shaq Barrett to Shane Ray. I think what Holland looks like at this time is probably more like Shaq than Shane. But one of the two won’t be back in 2019, and maybe sooner if we find a team needing to fill that position.

You also touched on it with VJ, but I’d also say anyone who is a distraction in the locker room (and as outsiders we’ll never know who that might be), was put on notice when Aqib was shipped off to the Rams. You’re right, there can’t be a divided team if making the playoffs is the goal this year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic Mingo Post. Good work.

I think you could have added Shaq Barrett to Shane Ray. I think what Holland looks like at this time is probably more like Shaq than Shane. But one of the two won’t be back in 2019, and maybe sooner if we find a team needing to fill that position.

You also touched on it with VJ, but I’d also say anyone who is a distraction in the locker room (and as outsiders we’ll never know who that might be), was put on notice when Aqib was shipped off to the Rams. You’re right, there can’t be a divided team if making the playoffs is the goal this year.

The guy I missed who is on notice - is Jeff Heuerman - I'd say he's done.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what they think of Ray. had 3 wrist surgeries last year. Will find out May 4th the deadline for the 5th year option.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what they think of Ray. had 3 wrist surgeries last year. Will find out May 4th the deadline for the 5th year option.

Respectfully Chris - I don't think we have to wait - I don't see where Ray gets the 5th year option. Let him play with the next contract on the line - while Chubb settles in.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully Chris - I don't think we have to wait - I don't see where Ray gets the 5th year option. Let him play with the next contract on the line - while Chubb settles in.
If they exercise the option and he has a crappy 2018 can't they cut him before march 2019? Would not get a comp pick .

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with the sentiment that Ray could be a goner. You can never have too many pass rushers in the NFL. Coming back from injury, I think Ray is going to be given ample opportunity to shine. They'll be rotations and packages that highlight our newfound depth with pass rushing. Of course the Broncos may not exercise the 5th year option but I think Ray will play well in 2018. My two cents.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list and post Mingo.

One I would add is Branden Langley. He was inactive the last 5 games of the season over undrafted CB Marcus Rios. We then signed Tramaine Brock this offseason and even flirted with the idea of free agent CB’s after we signed Brock like Delvin Breaux. We then took Isaac Yiadom in round 3 (which we all expected) but a very similar type of CB to Langley. Good gunner, physical CB with size who can tackle. Something tells me we were not pleased with Langley last year and we know we were not pleased with Henderson last year as he had a bad camp. I think Henderson is in more trouble then McKenzie because we’re still high on McKenzie as a PR, but if he doesn’t protect the ball this year he isn’t going to get a mulligan. I feel Zaire Anderson will be safe because he does well on special team and we lost Corey Nelson. Berria could push him for a roster spot, or we could end up keeping both too. I wasn’t a fan of any of the LB’s we brought in last year off the PS. They didn’t really show anything on special teams. Those guys are Jerrol Garcia-Williams, Deiontrez Mout and Joseph Jones. I think Jewell/Bierria was more to replace some of those depth guys. I think Jewell will have a role this year and develop him into a starter in his 2nd or 3rd season depending on how Marshall and Davis do with their contracts. Even with drafting two RB’s and signing Lindsay UDFA I still feel good about De’Angelo Henderson.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One I would add is Branden Langley. He was inactive the last 5 games of the season over undrafted CB Marcus Rios. We then signed Tramaine Brock this offseason and even flirted with the idea of free agent CB’s after we signed Brock like Delvin Breaux. We then took Isaac Yiadom in round 3 (which we all expected) but a very similar type of CB to Langley. Good gunner, physical CB with size who can tackle. Something tells me we were not pleased with Langley last year and we know we were not pleased with Henderson last year as he had a bad camp. I think Henderson is in more trouble then McKenzie because we’re still high on McKenzie as a PR, but if he doesn’t protect the ball this year he isn’t going to get a mulligan. I feel Zaire Anderson will be safe because he does well on special team and we lost Corey Nelson. Berria could push him for a roster spot, or we could end up keeping both too. I wasn’t a fan of any of the LB’s we brought in last year off the PS. They didn’t really show anything on special teams. Those guys are Jerrol Garcia-Williams, Deiontrez Mout and Joseph Jones. I think Jewell/Bierria was more to replace some of those depth guys. I think Jewell will have a role this year and develop him into a starter in his 2nd or 3rd season depending on how Marshall and Davis do with their contracts. Even with drafting two RB’s and signing Lindsay UDFA I still feel good about De’Angelo Henderson.

A project pick that maybe Elway learned to stay away from this year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they exercise the option and he has a crappy 2018 can't they cut him before march 2019? Would not get a comp pick .

I might have this wrong - but I think by not granting the 5th year option - Ray plays this year as his contract year and if he leaves - the Broncos would be due compensation - if he contracts with another team another team after this year and plays x number of snaps. It doesn't mean the Broncos couldn't sign him up to a new contract - if something happens to Miller or Chubb.

On the other hand - if they offer the 5th year option and cut him prior to 2019 - they won't get compensation - if he signs elsewhere.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we exercise his 5th year we can cut him before 2019 season, but we still owe him his 5th year money. That is why teams often decline that 5th year they don't want to risk that or they are interested in signing them at a cheaper rate. 9 times out of 10 if you don't exercise a guys 5th year option they end up leaving ya the following year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on Langley - good observations.

I do have the feeling the Josey Jewell will end up starting this year - because I think the Broncos have gone a little different with the ILB strategy. In the past - they wanted guys who can play sideline to sideline - so they had to have speed - unfortunately they got ate up in the middle by TEs, Slot WR and RBs (especially TEs) - with Jewell in there the actual middle will be patrolled (and Bierra is of the same mold). Also, Jewell brings the better ability for a blitz up the middle to compliment the rush from the ends.

On McKenzie - I think he will have the opportunity to make the team, but dropsies don't often cure themselves. I think Lindsay is a very good return guy and very good on ball security - if PL is tried as a return man - I see a roster with one more RB and less WR.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we exercise his 5th year we can cut him before 2019 season, but we still owe him his 5th year money. That is why teams often decline that 5th year they don't want to risk that or they are interested in signing them at a cheaper rate. 9 times out of 10 if you don't exercise a guys 5th year option they end up leaving ya the following year.

Yeah $9.2 MM is a lot to commit to Ray at this time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the 5th year option works is it is only fully guaranteed against injury. So if he gets hurt he still gets the money and stays with the team. That is why they won't exercise the option because every year he has had some kind of injury. The odds of him staying healthy for an entire season are slim to none and him living up to the billing of being worth that 5th year option are slim to none.

They can cut him if he is not hurt and not owe him a dime.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the QB depth chart is

#1 - Undrafted
#2 - Mr Irrelevant
#3 - 1st round pick

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the QB depth chart is

#1 - Undrafted
#2 - Mr Irrelevant
#3 - 1st round pick

As long as #1 can play that is all I care about at this point. Definitely not the strongest QB room in the NFL but with a strong OL/Run game and an improved defense the team should be able to compete.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the 5th year option works is it is only fully guaranteed against injury. So if he gets hurt he still gets the money and stays with the team. That is why they won't exercise the option because every year he has had some kind of injury. The odds of him staying healthy for an entire season are slim to none and him living up to the billing of being worth that 5th year option are slim to none.

They can cut him if he is not hurt and not owe him a dime.

But, if you cut him - you won't be eligible for compensation in the draft.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if you cut him - you won't be eligible for compensation in the draft.
I believe we just wouldn’t be re-signing him and if he leaves as a FA, we get a comp pick in 2020.