• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The latest on KC

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. no. A long term deal could be reached, other teams might join in the race for KC, and have to see where the other QB's go in FA. Too many factors.

Again... Non exclusive tag two first rounders, thats your basic take right??

You have pounded the table that if he gets the tag, he doesnt want to be here. So we have to deal him and wil lget two firsts for him. You have hammered that point home that he doesnt want to be here. I will ignore the fact that you have been in straight up lust over the #2 pick in particular.

Non exclusive tag, we get two first rounders..... this has been the stance you have been pushing for over a month now.

Im sure if a long term deal is reached ahead of time Skinsdad would be ok with it being a push. Although I suspect you will be in tears no matter what the final numbers of the contract are at this point. Because you have also made it pretty clear you value the draft picks over Cousins.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... Non exclusive tag two first rounders, thats your basic take right??

You have pounded the table that if he gets the tag, he doesnt want to be here. So we have to deal him and wil lget two firsts for him. You have hammered that point home that he doesnt want to be here. I will ignore the fact that you have been in straight up lust over the #2 pick in particular.

Non exclusive tag, we get two first rounders..... this has been the stance you have been pushing for over a month now.

Im sure if a long term deal is reached ahead of time Skinsdad would be ok with it being a push. Although I suspect you will be in tears no matter what the final numbers of the contract are at this point. Because you have also made it pretty clear you value the draft picks over Cousins.

Not the case at all. I want KC back at a reasonable price. He can still sign back with us if the non-exclusive tag is placed on him. Its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Im on record for saying that the 49ers offer Kc 80-90mg and give us 2 first round pick I would do it. Simple as that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Shanahan: Niners will show patience at QB

Print
  • 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  • By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 20, 2017 at 02:47 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 20, 2017 at 03:19 p.m.

Now that he's overseeing his own roster in San Francisco, Kyle Shanahan seemingly has been connected to every quarterback he has coached along the way.

Perhaps the most popular theory is that Shanahan will make a serious run at free agent Kirk Cousins, even if it means surrendering a pair of first-round picks should the Redskins apply the franchise tag to their quarterback.

Shanahan has been an avowed Cousins booster going back nearly a half-decade. When Shanahan was running Cleveland's offense and Robert Griffin III was starting in Washington three years ago, the Browns tried to swing a trade for Cousins.

After hearing Shanahan's Friday interview with KNBR in San Francisco, though, it certainly doesn't appear that he's fixating on Cousins as the 49ers' quarterback.

"You're not trying to commit everything to one year," Shanahan explained, via CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco. "Yes, you want to win right away. That's the goal of everybody. But you don't want to do that at the expense of hurting your future.

"You don't want to gamble. You want to be aggressive in everything, but you got to do what's right. You have to build your team the right way and that's what I mean by being patient."

Shanahan added that he and general manager John Lynch will explore trades, free agency and the draft to rebuild the 49ers, but he also understands this roster isn't ready to compete for a division title even with an established quarterback under center.

If he's unable to acquire a veteran quarterback via trade or free agency, Shanahan insists he will not reach for one with the No. 2 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

"If there is a quarterback there that we believe can match that criteria," Shanahan said, "and we believe he can be a franchise quarterback for us, of course, you don't hesitate on that.

"But if you don't see that and there are other good players -- if there's a pass-rusher, a linebacker, if there's an O-lineman, whatever it is -- you need to get the best player possible who can help your team for the next 10 years."

Shanahan has a wide, six-year berth to turn this franchise around.

He has already coaxed the best out of Matt Schaub, Robert Griffin III, Brian Hoyer and Matt Ryan in four different NFL stops as offensive coordinator. There's no need to mortgage the future in a desperate attempt to pull off a Cousins heist.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Shanahan: Niners will show patience at QB

Print
  • 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  • By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 20, 2017 at 02:47 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 20, 2017 at 03:19 p.m.

Now that he's overseeing his own roster in San Francisco, Kyle Shanahan seemingly has been connected to every quarterback he has coached along the way.

Perhaps the most popular theory is that Shanahan will make a serious run at free agent Kirk Cousins, even if it means surrendering a pair of first-round picks should the Redskins apply the franchise tag to their quarterback.

Shanahan has been an avowed Cousins booster going back nearly a half-decade. When Shanahan was running Cleveland's offense and Robert Griffin III was starting in Washington three years ago, the Browns tried to swing a trade for Cousins.

After hearing Shanahan's Friday interview with KNBR in San Francisco, though, it certainly doesn't appear that he's fixating on Cousins as the 49ers' quarterback.

"You're not trying to commit everything to one year," Shanahan explained, via CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco. "Yes, you want to win right away. That's the goal of everybody. But you don't want to do that at the expense of hurting your future.

"You don't want to gamble. You want to be aggressive in everything, but you got to do what's right. You have to build your team the right way and that's what I mean by being patient."

Shanahan added that he and general manager John Lynch will explore trades, free agency and the draft to rebuild the 49ers, but he also understands this roster isn't ready to compete for a division title even with an established quarterback under center.

If he's unable to acquire a veteran quarterback via trade or free agency, Shanahan insists he will not reach for one with the No. 2 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

"If there is a quarterback there that we believe can match that criteria," Shanahan said, "and we believe he can be a franchise quarterback for us, of course, you don't hesitate on that.

"But if you don't see that and there are other good players -- if there's a pass-rusher, a linebacker, if there's an O-lineman, whatever it is -- you need to get the best player possible who can help your team for the next 10 years."

Shanahan has a wide, six-year berth to turn this franchise around.

He has already coaxed the best out of Matt Schaub, Robert Griffin III, Brian Hoyer and Matt Ryan in four different NFL stops as offensive coordinator. There's no need to mortgage the future in a desperate attempt to pull off a Cousins heist.
Hmmm. This sounds awfully familiar.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction. Some ones.

Funny part about Kyle going to the Niners is, I honestly think he is good enough that he could design an offense around Stephen Hawkins at QB and it would be miles ahead of what the Niners had last year. So yea, if he can Get Kirk and NOT hamper the team going forward.. then he will do it. But if not, he will make an offense that works around the QB he has.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why give up picks when you can simply wait ? they may stopgap this year and go after darnold

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kyle doesn't get Kc he is going to sign Schaub as his stop gap and draft a QB. He is not going to give up the #2 pick in the draft for the unproven Grap. If he uses the #2 pick on Tribushy then you have to ask yourself why wouldn't he give up a 1st rounder in 2018 to get his #1 QB of his choice which is KC.

So KS is going to have to try to win with Schaub or Tribusky if he cant land KC. Tribsku got a decent scouting grade from the so called draft experts but not #2 overall value. So the pick would be a massive reach. So isn't it safe for KS for his head coaching career to try to land KC?

You guys think im nuts but this is why I think the 49ers COULD offer there 2 #1's for KC. It KS best option to succeed in SF. If he doesn't do it he is putting his head coaching career on the line to see if he can win with Tribusky in 3 seasons. I know he got a 6 year deal but if he only gets 12 wins over those next three seasons wouldn't he be on the coaches hot seat?

If I'm KS I am begging the owner of SF to do anything possible to try to get KC. Its the only way KS would have a a shot of being successful in SF. That's my two cents. All this talk is probably wasted if KC signs a long term deal with us in the next two weeks.

I know you guys disagree with this thinking but if KS wants his franchise Qb he has a shot to get him. His coaching career would live or die with the arm of KC.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kyle doesn't get Kc he is going to sign Schaub as his stop gap and draft a QB. He is not going to give up the #2 pick in the draft for the unproven Grap. If he uses the #2 pick on Tribushy then you have to ask yourself why wouldn't he give up a 1st rounder in 2018 to get his #1 QB of his choice which is KC.

So KS is going to have to try to win with Schaub or Tribusky if he cant land KC. Tribsku got a decent scouting grade from the so called draft experts but not #2 overall value. So the pick would be a massive reach. So isn't it safe for KS for his head coaching career to try to land KC?

You guys think im nuts but this is why I think the 49ers COULD offer there 2 #1's for KC. It KS best option to succeed in SF. If he doesn't do it he is putting his head coaching career on the line to see if he can win with Tribusky in 3 seasons. I know he got a 6 year deal but if he only gets 12 wins over those next three seasons wouldn't he be on the coaches hot seat?

If I'm KS I am begging the owner of SF to do anything possible to try to get KC. Its the only way KS would have a a shot of being successful in SF. That's my two cents. All this talk is probably wasted if KC signs a long term deal with us in the next two weeks.

I know you guys disagree with this thinking but if KS wants his franchise Qb he has a shot to get him. His coaching career would live or die with the arm of KC.

1. Kyle isnt under the gun to win in year one.
2. Kyle wouldnt have to give up the #2 in this years draft to get Grap. That 2018 first rounder would likely be enough, and Kyle could use that #2 pick to take your latest man crush Allen.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dean -- I see nothing wrong your opinions, but I think folks are disagreeing with you because you speak in terms of absolutes and desperation. Kyle Shanahan and Dan Synder probably don't have the BEST relationship so as much as Kyle may want KC....he has to be tagged first.
Also, The Redskins may try to get more than two first rounders. On the flip side, Kyle may say, "if the previous staff made it to the superbowl with Colin Sackorpick at QB, Imagine what I can do with one of these rookies??? You said the "only" way Kyle will succeed in San Fran is with Cousins -- Thats probably not the first time he's heard that either.
Really like you said, until we know what happens with Cousins, we are STUCK

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean, again the question is asked of you. Why would SF give up 2 1sts this year when there is a good chance they can sign him next year and give up nothing when he becomes a FA? Did you not read the article and quotes from Kyle? He is under no pressure to win this year and understands he will not win this year no matter who the QB is. It also appears that he probably isn't taking a qb with the #2 pick.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s

Wait a minute. You have been maintaining since the end of the season that Cousins can't win the big games & is only an avg QB. Now you are stating that Shanahan would be putting his job on the line by drafting a QB & risking multiple losing seasons. Huh?

If you truly believe that Cousins is not that good then why wouldn't Shanahan also be risking his job by trading away picks and going with an avg QB who can't win big games? Try to be consistent with your arguments.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s

Wait a minute. You have been maintaining since the end of the season that Cousins can't win the big games & is only an avg QB. Now you are stating that Shanahan would be putting his job on the line by drafting a QB & risking multiple losing seasons. Huh?

If you truly believe that Cousins is not that good then why wouldn't Shanahan also be risking his job by trading away picks and going with an avg QB who can't win big games? Try to be consistent with your arguments.

I believe Kc is KS's guy. That is why I think he will deal for him. My opinion about KC doesn't matter to KS.
jy19 there is also a risk that Kc might not be a Fa in 2018. Si if KS has the opportunity he might take it.
Shark, its only an extra 1st rounder to land KC. I think ks does it b/c he will get his guy and not take a RISK on other talent.
skinemall, I'm just saying is a safer play for Ks to go after KC instead of a rookie, Grap, or Schaub. He would have more success with KC b/c he knows what he is getting and wouldn't have to worry about a QB in his tenure in SF.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Kc is KS's guy. That is why I think he will deal for him. My opinion about KC doesn't matter to KS.
jy19 there is also a risk that Kc might not be a Fa in 2018. Si if KS has the opportunity he might take it.
Shark, its only an extra 1st rounder to land KC. I think ks does it b/c he will get his guy and not take a RISK on other talent.
skinemall, I'm just saying is a safer play for Ks to go after KC instead of a rookie, Grap, or Schaub. He would have more success with KC b/c he knows what he is getting and wouldn't have to worry about a QB in his tenure in SF.

I love how you try and minimize it by saying its ONLY an extra first rounder.

If you have your way its two first round picks they would be giving up for one player. Nothing guarantees that the Niners even have to use the ONE first rounder on a QB this year. We are looking at a team in need of everything at the moment.

You seem to forget that Kyle was here when we ONLY burned 4 picks on one player and how bad that move set our team back. I dont think Kyle is as stupid as you hope. As far as Kyle and his belief in Kirk.. thats all fine and good. But Im willing to bet he believes in himself just as much. And he isnt going to be so desperate as to say, the only way I can do well is to have Kirk.

And lastly, your opinion about Cousins is exactly why you WANT to deal him. You would rather have the draft picks over Cousins, despite the real possibility that it sets the team back.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you try and minimize it by saying its ONLY an extra first rounder.

If you have your way its two first round picks they would be giving up for one player. Nothing guarantees that the Niners even have to use the ONE first rounder on a QB this year. We are looking at a team in need of everything at the moment.

You seem to forget that Kyle was here when we ONLY burned 4 picks on one player and how bad that move set our team back. I dont think Kyle is as stupid as you hope. As far as Kyle and his belief in Kirk.. thats all fine and good. But Im willing to bet he believes in himself just as much. And he isnt going to be so desperate as to say, the only way I can do well is to have Kirk.

And lastly, your opinion about Cousins is exactly why you WANT to deal him. You would rather have the draft picks over Cousins, despite the real possibility that it sets the team back.

Im assuming Kyle bring in Schaub as the stop gap and drafts a QB at #2 either Trib/Watson. That is why I think its only one extra first round pick b/c they will be taking a QB anyways.

A lot has to still happen. It looks like KC is all about the money now and will not give the Redskins any breaks financially like it was earlier reported. If the negoations are starting at 60mg then that could easily become 80 or 90. If KC wanted to stay here he would sign the long term deal at 60mg and this will be all over with. This is why I don't even think KC wants to stay.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im assuming Kyle bring in Schaub as the stop gap and drafts a QB at #2 either Trib/Watson. That is why I think its only one extra first round pick b/c they will be taking a QB anyways.

A lot has to still happen. It looks like KC is all about the money now and will not give the Redskins any breaks financially like it was earlier reported. If the negoations are starting at 60mg then that could easily become 80 or 90. If KC wanted to stay here he would sign the long term deal at 60mg and this will be all over with. This is why I don't even think KC wants to stay.

Again dude... why should Kirk have to take a lowball deal to make YOU feel OK with it. IF the Skins had offered that last year, this wouldnt be an issue. They waited, and now its going to cost them.

As for the Niners... Kyle is in year one of a six year deal. If Kirk could be drafted in the 4th, and become a franchise QB... nothing says Kyle is deathlocked into drafting a QB at #2. And he might actually be smarter to trade for Grap as he could likely be had for next years first rounder, allowing Kyle to really piss you off as he takes Allen at #2.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again dude... why should Kirk have to take a lowball deal to make YOU feel OK with it. IF the Skins had offered that last year, this wouldnt be an issue. They waited, and now its going to cost them.

As for the Niners... Kyle is in year one of a six year deal. If Kirk could be drafted in the 4th, and become a franchise QB... nothing says Kyle is deathlocked into drafting a QB at #2. And he might actually be smarter to trade for Grap as he could likely be had for next years first rounder, allowing Kyle to really piss you off as he takes Allen at #2.

I believe 60mg is a fair offer to a Qb who hasn't won anything. If he wanted long term security why not take it and work with Gruden who he likes. This probably won happen b/c he is all about the money and will play on the franchise tag or go to a bad team like the 49ers. I told you he would be greedy at the beginning of this and you disagreed with me. This is what exactly is happening here.

How would KS have move success with Grap then KC? That doesn't make sense to me. What is an extra first rounder to him if he has a six year deal to prove himself?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First of all one extra 1st rounder could be in the top 5 next year. Also - it goes beyond the picks. The rookie would eat up considerably less cap money for several years.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all one extra 1st rounder could be in the top 5 next year. Also - it goes beyond the picks. The rookie would eat up considerably less cap money for several years.

True but KS has to win with a rookie Qb on a bad team. Good Luck