• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Great Escape

I don’t know that I had ever seen this one before. At least not since I was really young.

GREAT movie! It still stands up today, 50 years later. Funny. Tense. Historic.

My only “gripe” would be that it is kinda sad that Steve McQueen got top billing. I understand that top billing is a marketing and negotiated thing, but of all the top characters, his role was more mid-low impact. I would say Charles Bronson, Richard Attenborough and James Garner all had bigger roles. James Coburn’s role was comparable to the McQueen role.

Unfortunately, this movie could not be made today. No gay love story. No trans prisoner educating the rest of the prisoners on acceptance. No local woman who gets in a fight with one of the nazis and kicks his ass.

10/10

That scene on the motorcycle is the one everyone who's seen it remembers though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 7/10

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That scene on the motorcycle is the one everyone who's seen it remembers though.
This actually reminds me of another minor gripe I had with the movie...

the way he got the motorcycle was super ghost-in-the-machine. A nazi just happens to wipe out on the bike in a one-vehicular crash right where he is hiding? Way to convenient. A thousand better explanations could have been given.

Again, SUPER minor gripe, but a gripe none the less..

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty stupid movie, but that was a rather epic intro.

You know what? I enjoyed every second of it. Lithgow has some great lines.

Today it's going to be LA Confidential and the 1st two Die Hards.

I tried to watch that stupid Sandler film on Netflix about an uncut opal. Could not do it.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This actually reminds me of another minor gripe I had with the movie...

the way he got the motorcycle was super ghost-in-the-machine. A nazi just happens to wipe out on the bike in a one-vehicular crash right where he is hiding? Way to convenient. A thousand better explanations could have been given.

Again, SUPER minor gripe, but a gripe none the less..

Did he wipe out of his own volition or did McQueen trip him up?? My recollection is McQueen strung something across the road that the rider noticed and tried to avoid or ran into and wiped out.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got halfway thru The Last Of The Mohicans before I got tired. I'll resume it today.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he wipe out of his own volition or did McQueen trip him up?? My recollection is McQueen strung something across the road that the rider noticed and tried to avoid or ran into and wiped out.
That would make more sense. If he did than, ok.. maybe I missed it. Still a plot hole, though (what if a car or multiple bikes came along), but acceptable.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make more sense. If he did than, ok.. maybe I missed it. Still a plot hole, though (what if a car or multiple bikes came along), but acceptable.

I just watched the clip on Youtube.

He ties it up only after he sees the bike coming solo.

Fortuitous for sure but still....

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV show...Dispatches From Elsewhere....has anyone seen this? Trailer looks weird.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV show...Dispatches From Elsewhere....has anyone seen this? Trailer looks weird.
I am done with the overly-off tv shows that have become the rage of late.

Legion, Lodge 49, AHS...

This looks like one of those, and I am not interested.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Jewell - pretty good, but had a rather abrupt ending I thought. It didn't seem like it was over... but according to the next scene it was. 6.5/10

Bombshell - Pretty good. Nothing to rally home about. We all likely know the story. Mostly a good job on making the characters look like the real people. But all in all, nothing special in my opinion. 6/10.

Uncut Gems - what the fuck. This was ridiculous from start to finish. Sandler is usually a likeable character in his movies and you can't fucking stand him in this movie. Rather unexpected ending which is usually nice, but I don't think it enhanced the film at all. This is something I will never watch again. 5/10.

Midway - dialogue wasn't great, but the graphics were solid. Acting was pretty decent. Ironically, I didn't think Woody was all that great and the guy that played Dick Best wasn't selling enough in my opinion. Movie seemed to cover a lot of ground and not focus too much on any one thing, which is a downfall. 6/10, but I still enjoyed it.

1917 - Very well shot. Very well acted. Deserving of an oscar nomination in my opinion. One thing to me is that the story seemed bigger than the movie made it seem. Don't get me wrong, the movie made it seem like this task was important, but it didn't FEEL important. There wasn't much in the film to be honest. Again, looked great, but I don't think the intensity of the situation translated the same way as something like Dunkirk did. 7.5/10

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1917 - Very well shot. Very well acted. Deserving of an oscar nomination in my opinion. One thing to me is that the story seemed bigger than the movie made it seem. Don't get me wrong, the movie made it seem like this task was important, but it didn't FEEL important. There wasn't much in the film to be honest. Again, looked great, but I don't think the intensity of the situation translated the same way as something like Dunkirk did. 7.5/10
Legit question, because I haven’t seen it yet, but is it possible it didn’t have the proper intensity because you saw it hame as opposed to seeing it in the theater?

I haven’t seen Dunkirk since I saw it in the theaters, but I can’t imagine it has the same intensity watching it at home. The sheer volume cannot be duplicated at home, normally.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Dunkirk in my living room and its probably in my top 50 movies all time.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legit question, because I haven’t seen it yet, but is it possible it didn’t have the proper intensity because you saw it hame as opposed to seeing it in the theater?

I haven’t seen Dunkirk since I saw it in the theaters, but I can’t imagine it has the same intensity watching it at home. The sheer volume cannot be duplicated at home, normally.

I don't think so. There isn't as much going on. Things are happening, but they aren't big explosions or anything. There are a few scenes that have some intensity, but this is more about the emotions in war.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was intending on 1st 2 Die Hards but for some reason I had this 4:3 widscreen playback. The DVD was obviously old but I'd neverhad that before.

So I said Fuck It!..

Watched The Godfather.

Part II is better, but that's still a great fucking movie.

That wedding at the beginning is superb.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. The period detail was perfection and the era is right in my wheelhouse so I really enjoyed that. The acting was fine. There were the usual snatches of great dialog and lines as with all Tarantino flicks. The ending was fun. It was obvious where it was going to end, but I didn't know how. It's no Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs but better than The Hateful 8. 7/10

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. The period detail was perfection and the era is right in my wheelhouse so I really enjoyed that. The acting was fine. There were the usual snatches of great dialog and lines as with all Tarantino flicks. The ending was fun. It was obvious where it was going to end, but I didn't know how. It's no Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs but better than The Hateful 8. 7/10
I really enjoyed Hateful Eight. I’d definitely put it behind Pulp Fiction. I’d rank it two or three of the Tarantino movies but I’d have to watch Reservoir Dogs again to get a better judgement.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ending was silly.

DiCaprio stole the show imo. His insecurities were great.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ending was silly.

DiCaprio stole the show imo. His insecurities were great.

eh it was alright. As soon as they walked up on their house we knew where it was going. I agree Leo's was the most impressive of the 2 of them. Pitt was fine but I don't see what all the fuss was about or the oscar he received for it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last movie I saw in a theater (right before shit got real)- Portrait of a woman on fire. French film (yeah you gotta know how to read). Really good movie if you like the french style of movie making and subject manor. Yes you get to see two women naked and making out.
Last movie on TV - Gran Torino. Loved Clint in this.
Last Netflix- The Tiger King- White trash, meth, murder , tigers . A little for everyone.