• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lakers still won't make the playoffs next year

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
buckalis signing into SportsHoopla.

tenor.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, I had heard a few days ago that D-Lo wasn't interested in returning to the Lakers. He said something along the lines of not wanting the Lakers to be "part of his legacy" or something.

But, I just heard on Dan Patrick, that with Magic out, he may be interested in a possible return.

He actually could be the type of "2nd tier" player that the Lakers could get instead of trying to go after a 3rd star.
2nd tier?

i mean maybe when compared iwth durant and klay and kemba and kyrie....but Russell is likely going to get more $ then the Lakers even have cap space.

There is NO WAY he takes any amount that would leave the Lakers with any type of money to pursue someone else. If you are going Russell- thats your 3rd guy and he will take up every cent of cap space that is left--- and that might not even be enough considering Pelinka's accounting blunder.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to go along with your point, which I agree, they might not even have the cap for a max guy. I think DLo is a more realistic option. Still won't be able to afford much after him but at least you have that much better 3rd option.
I mean, if they really only have 24M in cap space, or even 28, thats it---- Russell isnt getting less than 24M per year or whatever the Lakers have in cap room.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how much we'd have to pay him, but he'd be a solid addition imo...

plus from most accounts I've heard from he's done a lot of growing up...

Agree. He made just over $9 million last year.

It looks like he's going to want a max deal which, I believe, would be about $27 million per.

He's an RFA, so the Lakers would have to offer enough that the Nets wouldn't match. That'll be a lot easier to do if the Nets think they're getting Kyrie.

Maybe they can get him on a lower priced 1 and 1 with a "wink wink, nod, nod" agreement that they will re-sign him for more?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to go along with your point, which I agree, they might not even have the cap for a max guy. I think DLo is a more realistic option. Still won't be able to afford much after him but at least you have that much better 3rd option.

Agree. He's an RFA, so they may be able to get him for a little less than what they would if he were a UFA. Especially if Kyrie goes to the Nets.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. He made just over $9 million last year.

It looks like he's going to want a max deal which, I believe, would be about $27 million per.

He's an RFA, so the Lakers would have to offer enough that the Nets wouldn't match. That'll be a lot easier to do if the Nets think they're getting Kyrie.

Maybe they can get him on a lower priced 1 and 1 with a "wink wink, nod, nod" agreement that they will re-sign him for more?

lol one could hope...

also if they pitch him on a serious title run that just MIGHT factor into the equation...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean maybe when compared iwth durant and klay and kemba and kyrie....but Russell is likely going to get more $ then the Lakers even have cap space.

From what I saw, a max for him is $27 million. That would be about $1 million less than the Lakers would have if AD declines his trade bonus and about $5 million less than what they would have if they can clear the space for a true max level guy (and AD waives the aforementioned bonus).

There is NO WAY he takes any amount that would leave the Lakers with any type of money to pursue someone else. If you are going Russell- thats your 3rd guy and he will take up every cent of cap space that is left--- and that might not even be enough considering Pelinka's accounting blunder.

He's an RFA. If I understand the way that works correctly, they would just have to make an offer that the Nets won't match.

Having said that, I don't think the Lakers would be the favorites to get him unless, for some reason, he just wants to come back and did it on a 1 and 1 that paid him a little less.

Plus, it's not like the Lakers would be the only bidders. So, someone else may offer him a max or do a sign and trade to get him. Especially a team that thinks they are close, but struck out on the bigger names.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I saw, a max for him is $27 million. That would be about $1 million less than the Lakers would have if AD declines his trade bonus and about $5 million less than what they would have if they can clear the space for a true max level guy (and AD waives the aforementioned bonus).

He's an RFA. If I understand the way that works correctly, they would just have to make an offer that the Nets won't match.

Having said that, I don't think the Lakers would be the favorites to get him unless, for some reason, he just wants to come back and did it on a 1 and 1 that paid him a little less.

Plus, it's not like the Lakers would be the only bidders. So, someone else may offer him a max or do a sign and trade to get him. Especially a team that thinks they are close, but struck out on the bigger names.
hence my point that going for a "2nd tier guy" like Russell will not leave the Lakers any kind of cap room to pursue another free agent.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hence my point that going for a "2nd tier guy" like Russell will not leave the Lakers any kind of cap room to pursue another free agent.

Yeah, I don't actually expect that they'll get him. It's just an option that's out there.

You know the cap rules better than I do. Could they do a 1 and 1 at a lower price (say $20 million) with a "promise" that they would re-sign him next season for more money?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Russell going for below max

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't actually expect that they'll get him. It's just an option that's out there.

You know the cap rules better than I do. Could they do a 1 and 1 at a lower price (say $20 million) with a "promise" that they would re-sign him next season for more money?
No, because they would not have full bird rights- they would have to use cap room to sign him again. Not only that, but if a team is offering him a multi-year deal starting at 27M a year with annual 7% raises, compared to 20M a year and a "promise" to pay him more the next year, which one are you talking? It's not even a reasonable comparison.

An example of this would be JJ Reddick, who after signing two- 1 year deals in a row, does not enjoy full bird rights.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Russell going for below max
al horford just declined a 30M option. Harrison Barnes just opted out of a 24M dollar option.

While , MAYBE he would take 24-25M a year, i see no reason why he would or why he would not get what he is asking.

anything is possible, though i cant see that as a probable outcome

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
al horford just declined a 30M option. Harrison Barnes just opted out of a 24M dollar option.

While , MAYBE he would take 24-25M a year, i see no reason why he would or why he would not get what he is asking.

Horford wants out of Boston on a long term deal

Gotta admit Barnes is a head scratcher

He won't get that

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if they really only have 24M in cap space, or even 28, thats it---- Russell isnt getting less than 24M per year or whatever the Lakers have in cap room.

yeah if they sign a 2nd tier guy they will likely still have little to no cap if they even have enough for that player...most likely won't have enough for a 1st tier guy as well.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wants a long-term deal so I'm sure he will accept less than the 30M but heard rumors a team was offering up to 28M a year. So you gotta think with him getting that much, not too many players will accept less especially a young guy like DLo. If he did accept less it would be not much less. But you really never know, his dream starting 5 has AD and Lebron in it...I guess that helps the Lakers a bit and Magic is gone.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not my point though . I was just stating finding shooters will be the easy part . Everyone seems most worried about that aspect ( probably because LA did such a poor job of roster construction last year )

I will say I agree with them keeping Bullock and going moreso on the cheaper side on the third option

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, it's an aging LeBron, Ad and a team of predominantly D-leaguers. That's not making it to the playoffs.

But, they have the MLE and maybe can entice a few aging vets to sign on for a season or 2. And it isn't outside the realm of possibility they draw in one more all-star. So there's hope, but without a lot of help they stand no chance as it is.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, it's an aging LeBron, Ad and a team of predominantly D-leaguers. That's not making it to the playoffs.

But, they have the MLE and maybe can entice a few aging vets to sign on for a season or 2. And it isn't outside the realm of possibility they draw in one more all-star. So there's hope, but without a lot of help they stand no chance as it is.
i dont think they have the MLE...i dont think you get it if you start the offseason under the cap...not 100% sure on that though- fairly sure but not 100%.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think they have the MLE...i dont think you get it if you start the offseason under the cap...not 100% sure on that though- fairly sure but not 100%.
Oh. I presumed every team had it.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford wants out of Boston on a long term deal

Gotta admit Barnes is a head scratcher

He won't get that
Durant replaced him, Durant likely leaving, Barnes back to Warriors confirmed