• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lakers still won't make the playoffs next year

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been proven numerous times with the Heat, Cavs, Rockets recently . Shooting contested shots is tough . Shooting uncontested shots is not . Having 2 elite guys on the same team means someone is always going to get an open 3. There are literally 15 guys in the G league who shot 43% or better from 3.

They had a BIG 3 in Miami. They had solid veterans that had plenty of playoff experience, they had guys pretty much to fit every role. They had 3 point shooters as well and 3-and-D guys but I still think they need to go for a dynamic PG or SG in FA for two reasons. 1. Injuries! If Lebron or AD were to get injured you have that 3rd option to win some games, role players can only do some much. 2. After Lebron! AD and DLo or Kyrie would be a great start to building after Lebron and they can continue to win immediately.

Now if you can't get that 3rd All-Star type of player, you get two or three solid, crafty veterans that can shoot, play defense, etc.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been proven numerous times with the Heat, Cavs, Rockets recently . Shooting contested shots is tough . Shooting uncontested shots is not . Having 2 elite guys on the same team means someone is always going to get an open 3. There are literally 15 guys in the G league who shot 43% or better from 3.

But you can't just put any random shooter on the court and expect to field a contending team.

Getting a couple of those guys at the bottom of your roster for situational minutes makes sense.

If you don't have a roster with at least 7-8 guys you can give you high quality minutes you aren't winning a title.

Right now the Lakers have 3.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean just think about it, what if KD does sign long-term with GS. It is possible, I don't think it happens, but in this scenario. Klay and KD could both be back for the playoffs and GS still has their Big 4 (3 being stars or close to it). AD and Lebron are special players, but if Kyrie, Love and Irving had trouble 2 stars still need more help.

If KD leaves I think it makes the league more balanced bc at this point right now you wouldn't have more than 2 stars or superstars on one team.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you can't just put any random shooter on the court and expect to field a contending team.

Getting a couple of those guys at the bottom of your roster for situational minutes makes sense.

If you don't have a roster with at least 7-8 guys you can give you high quality minutes you aren't winning a title.

Right now the Lakers have 3.
Sure but that's what 3 and D guys are for

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who on the Rockets shoots 43 percent and adds absolutely no value besides shooting and is a regular

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a BIG 3 in Miami. They had solid veterans that had plenty of playoff experience, they had guys pretty much to fit every role. They had 3 point shooters as well and 3-and-D guys but I still think they need to go for a dynamic PG or SG in FA for two reasons. 1. Injuries! If Lebron or AD were to get injured you have that 3rd option to win some games, role players can only do some much. 2. After Lebron! AD and DLo or Kyrie would be a great start to building after Lebron and they can continue to win immediately.

Now if you can't get that 3rd All-Star type of player, you get two or three solid, crafty veterans that can shoot, play defense, etc.

Yea...Mike Miller and Ray Allen are basically G Leaguers right

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who on the Rockets shoots 43 percent and adds absolutely no value besides shooting and is a regular
That's not my point though . I was just stating finding shooters will be the easy part . Everyone seems most worried about that aspect ( probably because LA did such a poor job of roster construction last year )

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finding shooters is easy.

Finding solid 3 and D guys on minimum contracts is not.
That's why I said I wouldn't spend all the cap money on one guy . I'd resign Bullock because you can go over the cap by doing that and then spend the rest on a few solid rotation guys and fill the rest of the lineup with shooters . If you go after another top tier guy you just aren't going to have good enough depth unless you get really lucky

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a plethora of guys in Europe or on G league rosters who can shoot wide open 3s so finding cheap shooting to go with AD and LBJ will be easy . Personally if im LA I'm not signing another big name . Go get a couple role guys who can play D and handle the ball . Shooting is a dime a dozen when every shot you take is uncontested

Yeah, I tend to lean that way as well.

I think if they were to somehow get Kawhi, then you go after a 3rd star (although they may not have the cap space).

Short of that, I like the idea of adding a couple of next tier guys who aren't quite max level and some solid vets looking to get a ring. That would give them a deeper team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got the hard part done (acquired LeBron then AD), the rest *should* be easier.

Which is scary to me. I couldn't be happier that they got AD...but they can't fuck up the rest of the roster.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea...Mike Miller and Ray Allen are basically G Leaguers right

Forgot about them getting Ray Ray. I mean we are talking about some of the best shooters of all-time. Miller, Ray Ray, even Battier a 38% 3 pt shooter for his career and a nasty defender. Chalmers, Rashard Lewis.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about them getting Ray Ray. I mean we are talking about some of the best shooters of all-time. Miller, Ray Ray, even Battier a 38% 3 pt shooter for his career and a nasty defender. Chalmers, Rashard Lewis.
I saw Rashard Lewis playing some BIG3 ball the other night... still had a sweet J... maybe the Lakers should kick the tires? :D

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I said I wouldn't spend all the cap money on one guy . I'd resign Bullock because you can go over the cap by doing that and then spend the rest on a few solid rotation guys and fill the rest of the lineup with shooters . If you go after another top tier guy you just aren't going to have good enough depth unless you get really lucky

Yeah, I agree.

Diminishing returns on a 3rd star when you already have 2 elite players.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SHOULD but it seems like they really didn't do much work to get those two stars there. Lebron wanted to be in LA, not much recruiting done by Magic lets be honest. And AD basically was saying he wanted to be force traded to the Lakers, they give up all their young core and poof.

This could actually be a lot more challenging for a mentally challenged guy like Pelinka. If they go down the same path as they did last offseason they are in trouble, but like you said it should be a no-brainer how to fill out the rest of this roster imo.

To be fair to Pelinka. There are a couple of things we don't know.

For one, we don't know who they may have gone after and didn't get.

Also, we don't know how much of the roster they put together was Magic and how much was Pelinka.

While it was definitely not an ideal roster to put around Lebron, it was also a roster that was very likely to make the playoffs (which was the goal) had they not been wrecked by injuries.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Pelinka. There are a couple of things we don't know.

For one, we don't know who they may have gone after and didn't get.

Also, we don't know how much of the roster they put together was Magic and how much was Pelinka.

While it was definitely not an ideal roster to put around Lebron, it was also a roster that was very likely to make the playoffs (which was the goal) had they not been wrecked by injuries.

Sure.

But they could have been a lock to make the playoffs if the roster was semi-competently completed with players who fit.

LeBron wasn't full strength, but he was only shut down because they had no shot at the playoffs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, I had heard a few days ago that D-Lo wasn't interested in returning to the Lakers. He said something along the lines of not wanting the Lakers to be "part of his legacy" or something.

But, I just heard on Dan Patrick, that with Magic out, he may be interested in a possible return.

He actually could be the type of "2nd tier" player that the Lakers could get instead of trying to go after a 3rd star.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

But they could have been a lock to make the playoffs if the roster was semi-competently completed with players who fit.

LeBron wasn't full strength, but he was only shut down because they had no shot at the playoffs.

It wasn't just the Lebron injury that killed their season though. They also lost Rondo (the same day they lost Lebron), Ingram and Lonzo for the season, Kuzma for a few games and Hart was basically playing on 1 leg from the all star break on.

Then, there was the AD debacle. Minus that, when Lebron returns, maybe they make the playoffs anyway.

Because of the AD debacle, by the time Lebron returned, most everyone else (especially the young guys) had all but checked out. For example, prior to his injury, part of the reason they were playing well defensively was because the young guys were covering for Lebron. After he came back, they stopped doing that.

I'm not saying it was a great roster or properly constructed. But prior to the injuries, on some level, it was actually working. That's likely more a testament to how good Lebron is than anything else. But it was team that looked like a playoff lock.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, I had heard a few days ago that D-Lo wasn't interested in returning to the Lakers. He said something along the lines of not wanting the Lakers to be "part of his legacy" or something.

But, I just heard on Dan Patrick, that with Magic out, he may be interested in a possible return.

He actually could be the type of "2nd tier" player that the Lakers could get instead of trying to go after a 3rd star.

depends on how much we'd have to pay him, but he'd be a solid addition imo...

plus from most accounts I've heard from he's done a lot of growing up...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And to go along with your point, which I agree, they might not even have the cap for a max guy. I think DLo is a more realistic option. Still won't be able to afford much after him but at least you have that much better 3rd option.