• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The IDIOCY of the College Football Playoff Rankings

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of Power-5 teams had the fortune of being "grandfathered in" because they already belonged to top tier conferences before the term "Power-5" came into existence. Even though they lack the overall accomplishments on the football field as Boise St., schools like Central Florida, South Florida & Cincinnati have a better shot at a P-5 invite due to the fact that they can check off multiple boxes on the wish list, especially the Florida schools: large stadiums, good crowds, big cities near existing P-5 teams, in an excellent recruiting area, an ability to play on a pretty decent level, and, in Cincy's case, a good basketball history as well.

The more competitive a team is in multiple sports, the better they look to a possible conference. Academics and institutional compatibility also play a part - as do things like running a clan program and fielding a majority of the same sports as the conference that may be looking at you.
:dingdingding:

Well I gave you a winner until I saw the bottom part. They can spew that other stuff all they want, but a school is ONLY attractive if they bring in the cash. They'll rationalize using the items you mention, but it is still all about the Benjamins! Rich pretty girls > Poor pretty girls

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't find me defending those guys. I wonder how long it will take before Jimbo Fisher turns them into another has-been FSU replica?

7/8 wins (pre bowl) is their ceiling for the most part anyway. A&M has only had more than 8 regular season wins 3 times since 2000. I'll give it 2 years tops before Jimbo has them 4-8/5-7 and jobless again.
You guys do know that Jimbo is the $75 million dollar man don't ya?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but with money to burn thanks to that $75 million guaranteed contract. Clearly the dumbest financial move by any major university.

Eh FSU hired Willie Taggart.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re all pretty similar. A&M’s best wins are 4-6 Miss Stake and 4-7 Ole Piss. Cincy’s are 4-6 UCLA and 7-3 UCF. Boise’s are 6-5 Florida State and 8-2 Air Force.

Ironically your team Clemson which is clearly showing as one of the best three teams in the nation, has their best wins against 7-3 A&M and Wake but that’s because their conference blows. Mind blowing to think that those are going to be the best wins that a team so strong will have all season long (including the conference championship game).

The way this season is going, Wisconsin will be able to claim that the loss to Illinois was a "good" loss. :L

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh FSU hired Willie Taggart.

Yeah, but they didn't sign him to a 10-year, $75 million guaranteed contract. And besides that, FSU looks better this year, even though they let Willie go prior to their last ballgame.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way this season is going, Wisconsin will be able to claim that the loss to Illinois was a "good" loss. :L

It's starting to look that way, even though it didn't look that way at the time.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Illinois will likely finish 7-5, ironically the same record Texas A&M is likely to finish with.....nobody will ever try to prop up Illinois like theyve tried to do A&M though.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois will likely finish 7-5, ironically the same record Texas A&M is likely to finish with.....nobody will ever try to prop up Illinois like theyve tried to do A&M though.

And both will be unranked at 7-5 if that happens.

You’re right that no one will prop up Illinois, but done sure as hell have tried to prop up Indiana. Why does Indiana deserve being propped up more than TAMU?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And both will be unranked at 7-5 if that happens.

You’re right that no one will prop up Illinois, but done sure as hell have tried to prop up Indiana. Why does Indiana deserve being propped up more than TAMU?

Who? lol

Well who that somewhat matters? I've not heard a single media talking head try to even remotely prop up Indiana. Plenty have done so to Texas A&M

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who? lol

Well who that somewhat matters? I've not heard a single media talking head try to even remotely prop up Indiana. Plenty have done so to Texas A&M

They were ranked, which is the same as TAMU.

Which media people have propped up TAMU?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Illinois deserves some kudos. Maybe not ranking, but definitely some accolades for the way they have turned things around this year. Lovie Smith might be Coach of the Year in the Big 10 this season.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, that goes back to what I said though. Anyone trying to talk up barely average/below average teams as "quality wins" is stupid

People HAVE definitely talked up A&M as "quality" (as I said ESPN was clamoring A&M is a "real stiff test" for UGA multiple times last night)

Literally nobody has ever talked up Indiana in the same lime light, we would be called ridiculous if we did.....yet its acceptable to prop up A&M?

How can you say nobody has ever talked up Indiana in the same light when Indiana was ranked in the exact same spot by the AP writers the week before...you know, the people that talk about football. You clearly weren't watching any of the ABC coverage of the Penn St. - Indiana game last week either because they were pimping out Indiana hard...understandable given the struggle the Lions were having.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you say nobody has ever talked up Indiana in the same light when Indiana was ranked in the exact same spot by the AP writers the week before...you know, the people that talk about football. You clearly weren't watching any of the ABC coverage of the Penn St. - Indiana game last week either because they were pimping out Indiana hard...understandable given the struggle the Lions were having.

Indiana was ranked for 1 week but nobody ever talked them up as a good team.

ESPN on multiple occasions during the CFP reveal show last night was talking about A&M being a "stiff test" for UGA......anyone who has watched CFB this year knows that is not true.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana was ranked for 1 week but nobody ever talked them up as a good team.

ESPN on multiple occasions during the CFP reveal show last night was talking about A&M being a "stiff test" for UGA......anyone who has watched CFB this year knows that is not true.

Would you like me to post clippings pimping out Indiana...or do you think if it didn't happen on the CFP reveal show it didn't happen.

Anyone who watched CFB this year knows that Indiana shouldn't have been a stiff test for Penn State...or East Carolina for Cincinnati...and yet here we are.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait! BSU is still ranked, obviously the committee has not watched us play

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait! BSU is still ranked, obviously the committee has not watched us play

I'm sure they have...unfortunately they've watched everybody else too. This is definitely a year when it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they have...unfortunately they've watched everybody else too. This is definitely a year when it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It is definitely a unique year

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well go all in. MIAMI OHIO GOING TO THE MAC TITLE GAME HUUUUUGE WIN FOR BUCKEYES!