• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fake Spike

Fake Spike, Yay or Nay?

• Ban It, It's A Douche Move

• Keep It, D Needs To Pay Attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh for fuck's sake with the semantics.
It's not semantics, it's an important distinction that allows for the spike. Without it, spiking the ball would be illegal. I mean, it's literally in there so it's not intentional grounding.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the distinction isn't important.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DB was not actually fooled, just beaten.

and the next time it happens
if an O lineman gets a career ending injury because a D lineman goes low.........don't cry.......

True, that was a perfect pass from Ben to thread it in...

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you something. If a defensive player jumps into the backfield and drills a QB before the motion/spike is complete, do you think a flag gets thrown or not?
To accomplish this the defender would almost have to be offsides. So yes, a flag gets thrown..

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh for fuck's sake with the semantics.

The only reason the foul is in the rule book and exists in the first place is to prevent imminent loss of yardage. Do you think anyone gives a fuck if the ball is thrown into the ground otherwise?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should they allow punt returners to return the punt even after calling for a fair catch? Talk about deception...
Lol..

How do you feel about the play-action pass? Pretty deceptive!!

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol..

How do you feel about the play-action pass? Pretty deceptive!!
From now on, play action, draws, screens, flea flickers, reverses, and any other type of misdirection play are all banned because they might trick the defense. Also, the defense is no longer allowed to fake a blitz, or blitz a player without indication, or drop a defensive lineman into a zone, or give a zone look and play man, or give a man look and play zone, or any other type of attempt to disguise the defense, as this could fool the offense.

Also banned are any kind of jukes, spins, or double moves for the offense, or stunts, spins, or swim moves by the defensive line. In fact, before every play the defense now must declare out loud, "I got this guy" and point to the player they will be defending, much like is done in backyard football games all over the country. Failure to comply to any of these new rules will result in automatic flags, because we all know there aren't enough of those already.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that "by rule" it's not but that's what it is.

The ball is hiked and tossed directly into the ground with no intention of a completed pass. That's grounding.

I'd personally like to see the entire thing tossed out. If you're out of time, you're out of time.
I like the rule and wouldn't want to see it changed, but I get that is just an opinion and subjective. I think someone brought this up, but IMO it's worse that a QB can roll out and the throw the ball away if out of the pocket. That seems completely arbitrary. When you are out of the pocket you are considered a runner according to some rules. Seems even more so that the rule should be you can't throw it away at that time.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with it, as long as these douche nozzle coaches stop flipping their shit when the defensive line tries to interrupt a kneel or spiked ball.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now on, play action, draws, screens, flea flickers, reverses, and any other type of misdirection play are all banned because they might trick the defense. Also, the defense is no longer allowed to fake a blitz, or blitz a player without indication, or drop a defensive lineman into a zone, or give a zone look and play man, or give a man look and play zone, or any other type of attempt to disguise the defense, as this could fool the offense.

Also banned are any kind of jukes, spins, or double moves for the offense, or stunts, spins, or swim moves by the defensive line. In fact, before every play the defense now must declare out loud, "I got this guy" and point to the player they will be defending, much like is done in backyard football games all over the country. Failure to comply to any of these new rules will result in automatic flags, because we all know there aren't enough of those already.
Maybe the Offense just has to tell the defense the play they are about to run when they get to the line so there is no trickery whatsoever...

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not semantics, it's an important distinction that allows for the spike. Without it, spiking the ball would be illegal. I mean, it's literally in there so it's not intentional grounding.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the distinction isn't important.

Whether I like it has nothing to do with the fact that it's intentionally throwing the ball into the ground with no intention of completing a pass. The distinction you make simply allows for intentional grounding.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spiking should be called for intentional grounding.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether I like it has nothing to do with the fact that it's intentionally throwing the ball into the ground with no intention of completing a pass. The distinction you make simply allows for intentional grounding.
I didn't make the distinction, the NFL did. There are a certain set of criteria that must be present for a pass to be ruled intentional grounding. The spike play does not meet all of the criteria, therefore it is not intentional grounding.

I suppose if you really want to you can call it intentional grounding, but of course that makes about as much sense as calling an AR-15 an assault rifle.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semantics again.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semantics again.

So tell me, why is throwing the ball into the ground something that is penalized anyway?

Oh, that's right:

The only reason the foul is in the rule book and exists in the first place is to prevent imminent loss of yardage. Do you think anyone gives a fuck if the ball is thrown into the ground otherwise?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when the QB is out of the pocket running for his life and gets the ball past the line of scrimmage, loss of yardage is imminent.

But I'm OK with that too if it's the rule.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when the QB is out of the pocket running for his life and gets the ball past the line of scrimmage, loss of yardage is imminent.

But I'm OK with that too if it's the rule.

Agreed. But that part of the rule was introduced under the guise of player safety, to allow the QB an out so that he can theoretically reduce the number of hits he takes.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But that part of the rule was introduced under the guise of player safety, to allow the QB an out so that he can theoretically reduce the number of hits he takes.

No matter, loss of yardage is imminent and it's a get out of jail free card.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semantics again.
giphy.gif

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that "by rule" it's not but that's what it is.

The ball is hiked and tossed directly into the ground with no intention of a completed pass. That's grounding.

I'd personally like to see the entire thing tossed out. If you're out of time, you're out of time.
Even if there's no intention to complete the pass there will almost inevitably be a receiver 'in the area'. I hope you're not suggesting the officials should be able to throw flags on what they think someone's intentions are.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if there's no intention to complete the pass there will almost inevitably be a receiver 'in the area'. I hope you're not suggesting the officials should be able to throw flags on what they think someone's intentions are.

Um, newsflash, allowing the intentional spike is relatively new.