• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fake Spike

Fake Spike, Yay or Nay?

• Ban It, It's A Douche Move

• Keep It, D Needs To Pay Attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intentional grounding is a penalty. If they allow it, it must not fit under the category of intentional grounding.

I've never seen a qb spike the ball to stop the clock that was facing an immediate loss of yards. That's the key and you keep choosing to ignore it.

So a qb drops back in the pocket, no receivers or defenders near him, can he throw the ball into the ground behind the line of scrimmage without drawing an intentional grounding call?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't need to raise my game, it's a fact it's huge in the back water prairie towns and not so huge in the bigger towns like Van, Tor, etc. Not trolling.

No matter, haven't watched CFL in years. And on a similar list is college football, junior hockey, basketball, baseball, golf, ....

Things that never grace my TVs.

For a guy who doesn't care about those things, you're sure worried about whether other people do then. Weird. And you don't live in 'Van' anyway, do you?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's correct. But that's not intentional grounding. It doesn't fit the requirements.

Spiking the ball to the ground to stop the clock doesn't get any more intentional.

Again...we understand why the rule was written the way it is. It's an allowance given to the offense. My issue with the fake spike is using that allowance to then deceive the defense. I just think it's douchey which is what this poll is about.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a qb drops back in the pocket, no receivers or defenders near him, can he throw the ball into the ground behind the line of scrimmage without drawing an intentional grounding call?

Sure, just like he could levitate into space, and throw the ball, which would achieve escape velocity, and end up eventually near Uranus, and not draw an intentional grounding.

What's with the stupid hypotheticals?

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, just like he could levitate into space, and throw the ball, which would achieve escape velocity, and end up eventually near Uranus, and not draw an intentional grounding.

What's with the stupid hypotheticals?

Not sure how you read anything hypothetical into my question.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The theory behind the rule is that the NFL doesn't want qb's just throwing the ball wherever they want TO AVOID A SACK. That's the entire purpose behind the rule for intentional grounding.

When a qb spikes the ball to stop the clock is he trying to avoid a sack? No, he's trying to stop the clock. That's the entire purpose of the play. Because he's not trying to avoid a sack, the NFL has decided that it's allowable because it doesn't really fit the purpose of the intentional grounding rule.

Now, if the intentional grounding rule just stated that anytime a qb throws the ball away without a chance of completion (unless he's out of the pocket) he was guilty of intentional grounding, you would have a point. But there's that phrase in there about avoiding imminent loss of yards. Tell me, why do you think that part of the rule is in there?

Stop bringing up the rule when you have been told 100 times people understand why the rule is written the way it is. It was written to allow the offense to continue spiking the ball. It's an allowance to the offense.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer to your question is no (in case anyone wanted to know).

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a QB do that? Thus my response.

Not sure why..misses a handoff on the fake spike, tries to run time off the clock and can't take a knee? My question is "where is the line between spiking and intentional grounding". Would it be doing anything prior to spiking the ball with an intent other than to just kill the clock?

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and just so you know, I hate the spike rule...unless it benefits my team.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop bringing up the rule when you have been told 100 times people understand why the rule is written the way it is. It was written to allow the offense to continue spiking the ball. It's an allowance to the offense.
You asked what the purpose behind the intentional grounding rule was, forgive me for trying to answer it.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why..misses a handoff on the fake spike, tries to run time off the clock and can't take a knee? My question is "where is the line between spiking and intentional grounding". Would it be doing anything prior to spiking the ball with an intent other than to just kill the clock?

Right in the rule:

Item 4: Delayed Spike. A passer, after delaying his passing action for strategic purposes, is prohibited from throwing the ball to the ground in front of him, even though he is under no pressure from defensive rusher(s).

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spiking the ball to the ground to stop the clock doesn't get any more intentional.

Again...we understand why the rule was written the way it is. It's an allowance given to the offense. My issue with the fake spike is using that allowance to then deceive the defense. I just think it's douchey which is what this poll is about.
Yes, he's intentionally spiking the ball into the gound. That doesn't make it an intentional grounding penalty though, as it doesn't fit the requirements.

We all understand you think the offense trying to deceive the defense is douchey. The rest of us with common sense just understand it's part of the game.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right in the rule:

Item 4: Delayed Spike. A passer, after delaying his passing action for strategic purposes, is prohibited from throwing the ball to the ground in front of him, even though he is under no pressure from defensive rusher(s).
I think Caleb Hanie was called for that once when he played for the Bears. If my memory serves, the resulting 10 second run off ended the game.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and:

A.R. 8.29 Second-and-10 on B20. Quarterback deliberately throws the ball out of bounds to stop the game clock. Ruling: The pass was not thrown away to prevent loss of yardage. A’s ball third-and-10 on B20.

giphy.gif

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right in the rule:

Thank-you.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no idea what the fuck any of this means. Misses a handoff on a fake spike? Then despite being short of time, tries to run clock?

Where do pigs fly in this scenario?

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the fuck any of this means. Misses a handoff on a fake spike? Then despite being short of time, tries to run clock?

Where do pigs fly in this scenario?

Of course you don't, I apologize, I took you for being just a tad intelligent.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether I like it has nothing to do with the fact that it's intentionally throwing the ball into the ground with no intention of completing a pass. The distinction you make simply allows for intentional grounding.

So explain, why is it ok for a QB to throw the ball at a RB feet when a play, like a screen play, breaks down? They had no intention of completing the pass either, when they were throwing it. Should that be intentional grounding?