• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fake Spike

Fake Spike, Yay or Nay?

• Ban It, It's A Douche Move

• Keep It, D Needs To Pay Attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be a motion (maybe the same motion they already use) to signal the intent to spike the ball. Much like the motion to signal the intent to fair catch a punt. Once that motion is made, it is okay to spike the ball without intentional grounding being called. You cannot run a play once the motion is given though...just like you cannot return a punt once the motion is given.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be a motion (maybe the same motion they already use) to signal the intent to spike the ball. Much like the motion to signal the intent to fair catch a punt. Once that motion is made, it is okay to spike the ball without intentional grounding being called. You cannot run a play once the motion is given though...just like you cannot return a punt once the motion is given.
Or just pay attention on defense and don't trust the other team just because the qb motions for a spike.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just pay attention on defense and don't trust the other team just because the qb motions for a spike.

If you want the defense to have to pay attention, you need to make the QB take the snap, run outside the tackle box and then throw the ball away past the line of scrimmage (just like they have to do on any other play to avoid intentional grounding being called).

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that the fake spike rarely happens, it's not like I'm just waiting but.....what would happen if a D-lineman shot the gap and destroyed the QB on a fake spike attempt so quickly that the QB doesn't even have time to fake the play. The 15 yarder flags probably would be flying left and right to protect the pivot.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding intentional grounding to a spike only results in a one yard penalty = pointless.
Keep the game as is. If you can catch a defense off guard with the fake spike, then more power to you.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't cost the offense any yards. What are you talking about? It's treated as an incomplete pass. They should make the QB take the snap...run outside the tackle box and then throw the ball away (past the line of scrimmage). Instead, they allow intentional grounding (which is BS in my opinion).

You're right. I was mistaking the rules for kneel downs.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why not just tell the refs that you want to burn a down to stop the clock? Why even line up if you're not doing anything? A punt is different because the returner doesn't know what he'll do til the ball is already in the air.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding intentional grounding to a spike only results in a one yard penalty = pointless.
Keep the game as is. If you can catch a defense off guard with the fake spike, then more power to you.

It's the greater of ten yards or spot where ball was thrown.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't spiking the ball the absolute most intentional grounding you can have??? I don't think it's fair to give the offense the benefit of being able to spike the ball to save time and then also give the offense the opportunity to use that advantage to deceive the defense.

Just my two cents...

No, because a RB and/or TE is always going to be within 5 yards, i.e. in the vicinity, of the QB.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just tell the refs that you want to burn a down to stop the clock? Why even line up if you're not doing anything? A punt is different because the returner doesn't know what he'll do til the ball is already in the air.

My point is that it's intentional grounding...right? I mean...it doesn't get any more intentional than that. I'm fine that they allow the offense that benefit, but I get annoyed when the offense is allowed to then use that benefit to deceive the defense.

If the QB had to run outside the tackle box and then throw the ball away (thus spending an additional 3-5 seconds), I would be fine if the QB took advantage of a defense not paying attention.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boohoo did you protest when Hillary didn't win?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is fine.

Next thread, please

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pokes should have seen the thumbs up after the spike it motion.

And that's twice they've been victimized by a fake spike. Stafford did it 2 years ago? Faked the spike and shoved it over the top into Sean Lee's face, who also stood there watching......

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making a fake spike illegal? You may as well also make it illegal to do fake punts, play action, and any other form of deception while you're at it.

I do think being able to intentionally ground the ball to stop the clock is pretty weak, though not letting teams do that probably means a lot fewer exciting comeback finishes. Or, like others have said, teams would have to use up a few more seconds to get out of the pocket first and then chuck it oob past the line.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So last night we saw a defense that played until the end, and they are getting talked negatively about in the media this morning (well, if you can call that hack Florio "media").

Bottom line, the defense can do no right. If they let up, they are wrong. If they play to the end, they are wrong.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So last night we saw a defense that played until the end, and they are getting talked negatively about in the media this morning (well, if you can call that hack Florio "media").

Bottom line, the defense can do no right. If they let up, they are wrong. If they play to the end, they are wrong.

The play should stay as is, and DEF should play to the whistle...trickery is part of football...on the flip if a DL blows up a C or OL guy as a result of a fake spike...that's a price to pay.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that play I saw no indication that the defender hesitated at all due to the fake. He looked to be in good coverage, it was just a perfect throw.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in 20 years of watching NFL football I might have seen a fake spike twice and the one the other night was the only one I ever saw work. Do we really need another reason to let the refs throw a flag? Are we experiencing a penalty shortage? This is such a rarely attempted play I can't see why anyone would even care about it anyway.