• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the entire offensive line

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doublefacepalm.jpg

Owned, Next Generation style!

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hear what you're saying Kid, Hunter's nominal numbers are not impressive, but relatively speaking, they are not horrible either. Overall Hunter is at 2.7 while Gore is at 2.5 and the team is at 2.5. As for Sunday, Hunter was at 2.9 while Gore was at 2.5.

However, what impressed me most about Hunter on Sunday was his ability to get first downs. Besides his TD run he racked up 3 first downs and on each of those plays it was pretty much all him that made the first down. So while his numbers are not the best, he is, IMO, definitely showing signs of being a player at this level.

I don't think Hunter is broken, I think we need some serious improvement in our run blocking.

The first downs are encouraging and with Gore down and a weak run defense in Philly I would love to see 15+ carries by Hunter this weekend.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd be impressed if we gained 100 yards on the ground against philly. we'd likely have to run the ball 35+ times

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's surprising to only see Goodwin on the bad list. Maybe all the other missed blocks aren't counted after Goodwin hacks his blocks and the play's done! Not seeing Rachal and Staley near the bottom of that list is very surprising.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Signature Stats Snapshot - Pass Blocking Efficiency | ProFootballFocus.com

Just a link about offensive line play. Very little about the 49ers other than Goodwin is looking more like a bad loss

good stuff. i know it has subjectivity in it, but still has some insight.

yes, surprised there aren't more 49er linemen on the 'bottom' list, especially Rachal, maybe Staley? what does this say about Davis taking a step up, granted Davis is stepping up from a low reference point.

we can only hope Goodwin's going thru that FA 'thing', cause he's not a 1 year sign.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Signature Stats Snapshot - Pass Blocking Efficiency | ProFootballFocus.com

Just a link about offensive line play. Very little about the 49ers other than Goodwin is looking more like a bad loss

Goodwin should actually be worst. They've both given up 5 pressures, but Goodwin has done it in six fewer snaps.

It's early in the year for this to be very meaningful. A lot of it comes down to one or two bad games. But there's no doubt our OL and our offense in general needs to play MUCH better this week. If the Eagles' LBs cheat up the way other teams have, we've absolutely got to make them pay with some quick passes across the middle. I'd love to see some more slants this week.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodwin should actually be worst. They've both given up 5 pressures, but Goodwin has done it in six fewer snaps.

It's early in the year for this to be very meaningful. A lot of it comes down to one or two bad games. But there's no doubt our OL and our offense in general needs to play MUCH better this week. If the Eagles' LBs cheat up the way other teams have, we've absolutely got to make them pay with some quick passes across the middle. I'd love to see some more slants this week.

slant passes? what are those? they really sound familiar but dont remember seeing one.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i actually think this was encouraging. yeah our protection is bad but now think it can be correctable sooner rather than later? or maybe i should say it can be improved sooner so as not to imply they'll become a quality unit. but hey, we'll take any kind of improvement and fast.

we can give a little rope to rookies so even if the other part is individual performance, should improve as these rookies gain playing time.

49ers Offensive Line Issues Not Helped By Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter - Niners Nation

One has to believe the line will improve over time - Mike Iupati is looking to be very good, and Davis still has a lot of room to grow. I still don't know what do about Rachal at right guard and honestly, Staley has been the biggest disappointment to me, but there's still plenty of talent. One good thing to note (at least as far as the offensive line is concerned) is that it hasn't all been on the line. I haven't went back and looked at the Dallas game yet, but when it comes to the sacks given up against the Bengals, at least two, and possibly three of the five sacks had to do with running backs.

I wrote a full post on this over at SB Nation Bay Area, but I did want to get some more discussion about it. Rookie fullback Bruce Miller was in on two of the plays, correctly identifying his blocking assignments, but failing to handle his man. Frank Gore couldn't handle a defender on one of the plays as well (one of the same plays that Miller messed up on), and Kendall Hunter was in on one of them as well. On top of that, Gore was yelled at by Adam Snyder on another play in which Gore popped out after staying in to block initially. So that may have been an error on Gore as well.

So at least two sacks were given up by a combination of three people not on the offensive line, and potentially a third. To me, with Hunter being a rookie, Gore being a little banged up by that point, and Miller also being a rookie ... we'll see the sack numbers go down as the season goes on. There's obviously still issues with the run blocking, but the line isn't as bad as advertised.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that article makes it sound like the offensive line is holding up better than it actually is. which isn't the case at all.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that article makes it sound like the offensive line is holding up better than it actually is. which isn't the case at all.

yeah, no doubt our line can play better (i'm posting this before reading anything on today's game). but i took it as more a communication thing cause the RB's are supposed to help.

as i start to read, i really hope to see we ran better? cause the line's run game is more dissapointing so far. they shouldn't be struggling so much in that area.