• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the entire offensive line

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
they are that bad. a big reason why there needs to be more plays from the shotgun. those play action passes aren't fooling anyone

I am not sure how I feel about Harbaugh moving away from the system he wants to implement to accommodate Smith and the line.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not sure how I feel about Harbaugh moving away from the system he wants to implement to accommodate Smith and the line.

agree.

obviously, he has to adjust and tweak to suit the present, but this sounds like moving away from his system? if so, i agree he should stay with it cause in the back of his mind, its establishing his structure past 2011.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are that bad. a big reason why there needs to be more plays from the shotgun. those play action passes aren't fooling anyone

The play-action is the linchpin behind Harbaugh's offense. This is the same offense that made him such a hot commodity for the NFL. We're in a transition period, especially offensively. We're just gonna have to ride it out. Completely changing our offensive philosophy isn't the answer.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that is what good coaches do...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play-action is the linchpin behind Harbaugh's offense. This is the same offense that made him such a hot commodity for the NFL. We're in a transition period, especially offensively. We're just gonna have to ride it out. Completely changing our offensive philosophy isn't the answer.

how many times has a defender been in smith's face when he turns around? going with a shotgun formation instead of the play action pass that isn't fooling anyone is the right thing to do. ride it out for a chance at luck? i'd rather make some tweaks to win games.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

what do you mean by 'more'? cause we could thinking the same thing (adjustments and tweaks), just using different definitions of 'more'?

if 'more' means using the shot gun almost exclusively, thats not adjusting and tweaking? thats changing your philosophy. if you mean a few series to 'surprise' the defense, then i can buy it as adjusting.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
how many times has a defender been in smith's face when he turns around? going with a shotgun formation instead of the play action pass that isn't fooling anyone is the right thing to do. ride it out for a chance at luck? i'd rather make some tweaks to win games.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yeah but we need to give our running game a chance. If we abandon the run then we might as well give up. Once the running game gets going the PA passes will work better.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we had a proven All Pro QB and we were struggling to run then I might say let's just sling it. But we have to play within the offense, execute, and hold on to the ball to win. These guys are learning a new language.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we had a proven All Pro QB and we were struggling to run then I might say let's just sling it. But we have to play within the offense, execute, and hold on to the ball to win. These guys are learning a new language.

yep.

no one is happy with this offense and no one is saying stick with it. but the adjustments, tweaks, and additions can't go too far, too fast.

asking this QB and this O-line to "sling it" NOW, is asking for trouble. then the same fans asking will complain the loudest.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep.

no one is happy with this offense and no one is saying stick with it. but the adjustments, tweaks, and additions can't go too far, too fast.

asking this QB and this O-line to "sling it" NOW, is asking for trouble. then the same fans asking will complain the loudest.

Can't we all just be happy that we are 2-1 and in first place? I am thouroughly impressed with our record and our play should only improve. Baby steps.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going from primarily a play-action, running, and TE based system into a wide WR set shotgun formation isn't making a "tweak". This constitutes an overhaul of philosophy, and quite frankly I'm not comfortable changing our offensive scheme to accomodate a QB that will not be on this team past 2011. And let's not act as if Smith is Brady, who's just gonna start shredding defenses once he's in the shotgun.

That's a cute Einstein reference. We're 2-1 and 1st in the division - I'd rather wait until at least the bye week before pushing the failsafe key on our entire offense.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it isnt about accomodating a qb it is about adjusting to the lack of talent. hunter needs more touches and unless harbaugh can put eyes on the back of smith's helmet those play action passes need to go.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it isnt about accomodating a qb it is about adjusting to the lack of talent. hunter needs more touches and unless harbaugh can put eyes on the back of smith's helmet those play action passes need to go.

So for us to get Hunter more touches we'd have to play more shotgun?

And if we don't have the talent to run a play-action based offense, do we have the talent to run a shotgun offense and actually be effective?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can't we all just be happy that we are 2-1 and in first place? I am thouroughly impressed with our record and our play should only improve. Baby steps.

trust me, i'm happy and agree with 'baby steps'. no way is Harbaugh purposely holding down a good offense, he's just doing what he can with what he has. as the offense improves, no doubt he'll add more steps. there's only one way this offense can go.

we can all see the line isn't protecting, so can't get the logic of those wanting to throw more and throw farther? what do you expect will happen if you ask this O-line to pass block more plays, and for more seconds each play? calling an explosive play doesn't mean it'll work, rather have 5 yard completion over a 20 yard incomplete pass.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that is what good coaches do...

I don't like the idea of building an offense around a QB that shouldn't be playing in the first place. Next year when Kaep or someone else is starting do they start over from scratch with an entirely new offense?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agree.

obviously, he has to adjust and tweak to suit the present, but this sounds like moving away from his system? if so, i agree he should stay with it cause in the back of his mind, its establishing his structure past 2011.

I agree and I think that is what we are seeing with this conservative approach to start the year. I just don't want to see something designed just to accomodate Smith and the line.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I am very happy about the record and the fact that they could be 3-0 but it is still good to talk about where the team should be at some point.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for us to get Hunter more touches we'd have to play more shotgun?

And if we don't have the talent to run a play-action based offense, do we have the talent to run a shotgun offense and actually be effective?

i didn't say run 100% shotgun....

i want to see a combination of things that were done during the first 3 games. it isn't hard to stick with what works and throw out what doesn't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am very happy about the record and the fact that they could be 3-0 but it is still good to talk about where the team should be at some point.

yes, talking about dissapointments, where to improve, where it needs to go, etc. is all good. this is what this message board is for. but its the extreme thinking that gets me, the drastic logic we sometimes read?

the other part is time, some fans expect things to happen NOW? well, we all wish the 49ers are a SB contending team.......NOW, but some things just take time.